Thais to march in WW I centenary parade in Paris

webfact

Thais to march in WW I centenary parade in Paris
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Eight official representatives of Thailand, including military officers and students, will join the Bastille Day parade today in Paris to commemorate the centenary of the beginning of World War I in France.

As part of the commemorative events, the President of the French Republic, Francois Hollande, invited representatives of 80 countries that were, directly or indirectly, involved in this Grande Guerre, as that war is called in France, to join in the traditional parade along the Champs-Elysees, according to the French Ambassador to Thailand Thierry Viteau.

He said the objective was to pay tribute to war veterans on both sides and to those countries impacted by the first worldwide conflagration.

Among the eight official representatives from Thailand will be one civilian, three military members and four students.

The four Thai students of the French language were selected from more than 30 candidates from universities throughout Thailand to join this historic event. They also won a one-month language course at the CAVILAM Language Centre in Vichy.

During their ten-day stay in Paris, the students visited major places of interest in the capital city. They also practiced and rehearsed for the parade along with more than 200 young French-speaking people from 76 countries. They will parade in a uniform designed for the occasion by French stylist Agnes b.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thais-to-march-in-WW-I-centenary-parade-in-Paris-30238415.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-14

The good thing is that those taking part are shaded by that delightful avenue of tree so carefully planted in years gone by so as future visitors and sundry albeit temporary resident tourist were and are able to remain in the shade.whistling.gif

• Like 2

I understand that Thailand wasn't involved in WW1 and was on the enemy side in WW2. So they probably gonna march in the opposite direction in Paris.

Wrong on both counts... kinda!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siam_in_World_War_I

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand_in_World_War_II

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

I understand that Thailand wasn't involved in WW1 and was on the enemy side in WW2. So they probably gonna march in the opposite direction in Paris.

Wrong on first count, wrong on the " official " second count. Everyone knows that the Thais aided the Japanese and wanted to declare war to the US.

• Like 1

One wounders just what contribution Thailand made in WW1 involving France.

Easy, they won against all other countries

Just ask any Thai

ps. don't ask what other countries were involved lest you be accused of not understanding Thainess

What has Thailand to do with either WW I or WW II for that matter?? But I guess that these 2 countries are so a like

that this must be the reason for participate I guess... Non of them speak any english...

Glegolo

Thais were in internment camps, with the Japanese invasion, ever watched the movie, "Bridge over the River Kwai? Oh I forgot, some people are experts in history..... What ever happened to History? WWI and WWII? Someone sure as hell built that Railroad didn't they? Have you ever ridden on it? Just a question. Because I have!

What has Thailand to do with either WW I or WW II for that matter?? But I guess that these 2 countries are so a like

that this must be the reason for participate I guess... Non of them speak any english...

Glegolo

With all due respect, read some history, Thailand was involved in both. Thai soldiers were sent to participate in WW I and certainly there is no denying Thai involvement in WW II with the Japanese occupying, and the Free Thai government supporting the allied cause.

Glegolo

Thais were in internment camps, with the Japanese invasion, ever watched the movie, "Bridge over the River Kwai? Oh I forgot, some people are experts in history..... What ever happened to History? WWI and WWII? Someone sure as hell built that Railroad didn't they? Have you ever ridden on it? Just a question. Because I have!

I guess you must be Japanese then.

http://www.kanchanaburi-info.com/en/muang.html

The railway line originally ran within 50 meters of the Three Pagodas Pass which marks nowadays the border to Burma. However after the war the entire railway was removed and sold as it was deemed unsafe and politically undesirable.

• Like 1

Wrong on first count, wrong on the " official " second count. Everyone knows that the Thais aided the Japanese and wanted to declare war to the US.

Sorry, but "everyone" knows ... Not! No, not all Thais wanted a war declaration, thus the Thai representatives in Washington did not deliver the declaration. The King sent Thai troops to fight in WW I.

Glegolo

With a little research you'll find the following:

1) Siam joined the Entente and declared war on the Central Powers (Germany & Austria-Hungary) on 28 July 1917. The country then sent an volunteer force of roughly 1,300 troops to the western front in France. This expeditionary contingent, however, did not arrive until late spring 1918, and 19 Siamese soldiers were killed until the war was over. The main reason for Siam to enter the war was to gain favor with France and Britain, the dominant colonial powers in the region. Siam had lost considerable amounts of territory particularly to France in the late 19th and early 20th century (Laos, Cambodia), but Britain also posed a threat from the south (Malaya) and west (Burma). But an additional bonus for Siam was that after declaring war on Germany they could simply take over the German-built northern railway line (to Chiang Mai) without paying a dime. The few remaining unfinished kilometers to finally connect Bangkok and Chiang Mai were eventually completed by a company from then-neutral Denmark. Siam also expropriated other German business concessions, interning their German owners and employees.

2) In mid-1941, Japan initially "requested" from Thailand (Siam was renamed "Thailand" in 1939) - then ruled by an ultra-nationalist regime under Field Marshal Plaek Phibulsongkhram, a self-confessed admirer of Adolf Hitler - to be granted passage rights through the country to enable its impending invasions of in Burma and Malaya. The Phibulsongkhram regime initially refused, which prompted the Japanese to conduct an amphibious landing in southern Thailand on 8 December 1941. After a mere few hours of fighting, Thailand conceded and gave in to Japan's access demands. In fact, on 14 December 1941 an alliance pact was even signed between Japan and Thailand, which effectively made Thailand an ally of the Axis Powers (including Nazi Germany). Japan had now full access to the country and could use all Thai infrastructure, including airfields, railways, roads, naval bases, communications facilities, etc. As a reward for its "cooperation", Japan allowed Thailand to annex considerable territories of French-Indochina, as well as of British-Malaya and Burma, but practically all of these territory gains had to be returned again after the war. On 25 January 1942 Thailand declared war on Britain and the U.S., although the Thai ambassador to Washington refused to deliver the declaration of war, one of several main factors why Thailand was not treated as an aggressor by the Allies after the war, but instead came out as a "victor".

• Like 2

They will parade in a uniform designed for the occasion by French stylist Agnes b.

I thought they would wear the Nazi uniforms which that other Thai university used lately.

Seems unrelated and perhaps an opportunity for the poster to exercise a bit of hidden bigotry?

Thaddeus post # 22

"That's the thing about the Thais, they are always there when they need you"

All rather like this chappy who led from the back.

Charles-de-Gaulle-006.jpg

Parades are gatherings, generally to celebrate an event or cause. They are also an opportunity for certain circles to advertise their narrow-mindedness, bigotry, prejudice and intolerance.

Thankfully, they seem to be in the minority.

• Like 1

They arrived 3 weeks late. They had 1 causaulty, a warrant officer who died of influenza, he is commemerated by a monument in the grounds of Den Chai Police station. wai.gif

In fact they did declare war on the US and the British Empire, that's why they wanted to put on trial Rama 8! wai.gif

Why wonder when you have Google so handy. Actually Thai soldiers did fight and die in Europe during WWI.

• Like 2