Wanting to Marry in Thailand (Or Elsewhere) - American and Cambodian - Papers?

alohatiger

Forgive me if this has been RECENTLY talked over, just send me the appropriate links, thank you.

Basic Stats:

- single American male, under 50, has proof of singleness from US Embassy in Cambodia, and notarized copy of passport from the US Embassy in Cambodia, has current passport

- single Cambodian female, never married, has Status of Singleness from her 'Sangkat', has ID, can get passport

Ok, Cambodia has a law stating those under 50 have to show proof of income of USD $2,500+/month. Then they will try to force a bribe from you of, from what I've heard, for a $35 document for USD $1,500-$2,500!! You know how corrupt the Cambodian government workers are! Convenient law, right, to pre-qualify those with money, right?

So, since that's like a the cost of an extravagant Thai honeymoon, why not just go to Thailand and marry?

I've heard a couple of things: it's easy, or, the US Embassy might not give you the right paperwork for it, etc. What's the word, RECENTLY? This relatively new law has changed things from a few years ago.

Any particular offices that can handle all this? Or is it easy to do yourself? Also, any particular locales that have easy offices to do all this? Does it all have to be done in Bangkok?

We have a place we can marry for free in Bangkok, so it's quite reasonable for us, if it's a real marriage. :)