Falang/Thai family repatriating to the US. Your choice for best, affordable location.

My Thai family's immigrant visa is approaching completion and I have a short list of where I would like to settle my family.

My considerations are: [not necessarily by priority]

1] cost of living, as we'll be on a tight budget to start with.

2] comfortable climate..............not extremely hot or cold.

3] good options for schooling my 2 teenage Thai kids.

4] job opportunities for wife, probably in the sales or service industry as her 3 yr college degree is useless in the states.

5] Asian friendliness................food shops and access to Asian foods.

6] access to a good VA medical facility for my increasing medical issues @ 67 years.

My first choice is Hilo, Hawaii as it meets almost all of the above considerations, except for #1 and #6 [unless some miracle occurs]. Also, I have lived there for many years before moving to Asia and still have a few contacts and know my way around, but the cost of living a decent lifestyle in that paradise has increased faster than the mainland.

A couple of plan B options for cost and quality of living would be Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon or any other suggestions would be appreciated

I have been gleaning JT's thread on older Americans repatriating to the US but it seems to be slanted towards single expats and with my 'baggage' of a good Thai wife and a couple of children, there are many other considerations.

Your suggestions, experiences and reasons for your choice appreciated..............

Hill Country, Texas. Low housing prices, no state income tax, beautiful country, friendly (mostly tolerant) people, great climate- though warmer than the average.

Preferably a little west of the line between Austin and San Antonio to get into the drier climate and rocky hills. Wimberley, Marble Falls, that area.

Bastrop, Seguin (east) side of the line if you like the humidity and flatter land.

Close enough to Houston and San Antonio for amenities and international airports. Austin/ Wimberley for the artsie craftsie crowd. Great state university system.

New Mexico between Ruidosa/Taos/Santa Fe line is also great, but I've never lived there- only traveled...as is Arizona around Sedona and Utah around St George (a hop and a skip to Lost Wages).

Lots of choices. Best of luck.

(Don't be surprised if you can parlay your wife's contacts in Thailand into a nice little import business- lots of small shops and art galleries that would be happy to have some eclectic, authentic Thai stuff. Some of my friends make their living hawking their artwork at some of the galleries in the Hill Country area)

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

We lived in Athens GA, Savannah and Tucson AZ...Plenty of Asians in Tucson.

Your list B looks OK..

But...Where are you from? Can you go back there? Would you want to?

Many of my friends upped sticks and went to Vancouver!

• Like 1

Hilo is Ok - Maybe up in volcano area also. Lots of thai wifes araound - maybe too many.

Certainly your wife wouldn't be alone.

Education is OK - the gov kicks in a lot of money per student.

Healthcare is pretty good in Hawaii - especially for the kids.

Thai kids fit in perfectly with the diverse population.

Shot......Yeah, I've been following Jingthing's thread on older Americans repatriating to the US and have gleaned a lot of info, but as I said, it seems to be slanted towards the single expat and having a Thai/Falang family does complicate the situation considerably...............

Impulse, thanks for those tips and I will look into that area that I've only driven through many decades ago, but I do have fond memories of Austin and even have an old friend there. Also, good suggestion on selling Thai trinkets there to help with income.

Lao.....will also look into Athens GA, Savannah and Tucson AZ

Rupert, I didn't mention that I spent 3 decades on the Hilo side of the Big Island and that will be my first stop and home base while I check it out after 20+ years away. I know to expect some good changes as well as some bad and to expect the cost of living to have increased a lot, but the weather and the clean air and water can't be beat anywhere in the world, and you're right in that it would be the easiest place for a Thai to adjust to. Volcano is nice when the sun is out, but mostly it's too damp, cold and gloomy for me.

Thanks for the input so far.............

• 2 weeks later...

Tough choices! Many places in the US don't have what I'd call "year round" climates. One season or the other tends to be a bit tough. Other than California, but the cost of living there makes it a bit expensive. And traffic in many areas is really bad.

Las Vegas is not a bad choice. Lots of employment opportunities for your wife, fantastic Asian grocery stores, good infrastructure, relatively cheap housing. But summers are tough. Same with most of Arizona and New Mexico. Unless you are up a bit in elevation and then you'll get cold winters. There's probably some good VA facilities there as Nellis is a pretty large base.

Sedona is incredibly beautiful, but very touristy and health care will be an issue. Weekends are packed.

Coastal Oregon and Seattle has tough winters. My friends moved up there 3-4 years ago from SoCal. They're hating it now. Can't take the wet, cold winters. Inland a bit is better from what I've heard. But access to VA facilities could be tough.

St. George is a very beautiful town. Colder winters. Relatively small. And in Utah, so a touch of Mormon influence. But right in the mountains and has some great golf courses. Really nice small town. Very safe.

You might even consider Colorado. Colorado Springs is quite nice and I'm sure will have VA facilities due to the academy there. Incredibly beautiful. Cooler winters.

Let us know what you decide! We might be in the same situation in a few years. We talk about moving back, but so far, are quite happy here.