Does having a son/daughter who is thai national allow for any special visa?

With all this talk of border run scrutiny, im wondering what the best option for me to do is. I have a son with my girlfriend (who is thai national) son is obviously a thai national too, I am the sole provider for both my girl and son, do not want to get married. But wondering if there is any special visa I can get ?

Yes he is my biological son, I am the father on the birth certificate. Strange that they would only offer 3 month visa for fathers huh, guess its not important for thai government that its citizens have a father around to support them. Ridiculous really.

• Like 2

Yes he is my biological son, I am the father on the birth certificate. Strange that they would only offer 3 month visa for fathers huh, guess its not important for thai government that its citizens have a father around to support them. Ridiculous really.

I believe you can get a single entry o visa at savannakhet with just the birth certificate, as you are named as the father. After that you need to go through process of becoming the legal father, and then you can get a 1 year extension with 400k in the bank. If you do not have the money, you can get a 60 day extension. Most offices will not allow back to back 60 day extensions, so you will need to get another single entry and repeat the process.

• Like 1

I believe you can get a single entry o visa at savannakhet with just the birth certificate, as you are named as the father. After that you need to go through process of becoming the legal father, and then you can get a 1 year extension with 400k in the bank. If you do not have the money, you can get a 60 day extension. Most offices will not allow back to back 60 day extensions, so you will need to get another single entry and repeat the process.

Interesting, thanks for the info, I will have enough to have 400k in the bank, interested to know what the process of becoming the legal father involves.

will you get any privliege rights for work permit if you are legal father of a thai child? employment at a company without the regular restrictions like at least 2mio thb paid in capital and 4 full time thai employees?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by SoFarAndNear

Interesting, thanks for the info, I will have enough to have 400k in the bank, interested to know what the process of becoming the legal father involves.

I think you just have to register as the father at the amphur office. If the child is too young to give consent, you may need to do it in court.

You must become the legal father of the child. Once you have done that you cna get yearly extensions of stay to live with and provide for the child if you cna show an income of 40,000 a month OR 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand.

Being on the BC is not enough, that will only get you a visa. See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

Edited by Mario2008
  • Like 1

If you and the mother are not married then you are not classed as the legal father (http://www.thailand-family-law-center.com/thailand-paternity-rights/) and you will not be entitled to a visa on this ground (i am going through the same process)... The link explains the process you need to follow....the cost....anything up to 150,000 baht...

• Like 1

There have been reports on this forum of it costing as little as 15,000 baht to get your parenthood legitimized by way of a Thai court.

You should have a look at this topic. http://www.thaivisa....ts-as-a-father/

My lawyer has quoted me a substantial amount...i called a few other lawyers who all quoted even higher than mine...I am not Thai so dont know the process involved or the paperwork needed..... Do you have any links for the costs of 15,000 as unable to find on the link you provided.

Agree with Mario and Chappie.

To be legal father (without marriage), a lawyer in phuket (making visa as well) told me that the price would be 30k THB...

Now I m wondering. If I get married with the thai mother of my child, do I get automaticly the paternity (in Thailand) ? I dont think so...

Getting married to the mother of your child makes you the legal father. After marriage it doe not matter as much because you will use your marriage as the basis for a visa or extension of stay.

How old is your child? If he is 7 then it can be quite easy.

You don't state your nationality, but you could get a multi-entry one-year in the UK before last year, when Cardiff changed staff - and options. Best I've been able to do this year, so far, is a single entry three month, but you should be able to change to multi-entry - don't ask why - in Chaeng Wattana. Go to Vietnam [HCMC] or Phnom Penh. I also think Birmingham might offer multi-entry, but don't know.

I have been here 6/7 yrs on marriage extentions

Legal costs vary a great amount, I have just arranged bail for father in law and got him lawyer , very very reasonable by comparison to other world countries. he together with six other men and his head man apprehended a drunken youth, two years ago, who died, they have all been charged with murder

With your girl friends help you may be able to get court consent without a lawyer, in any case try local non foreign lawyer, even go to your local law courts with your girl friend and ask around

good luck

• Like 1

I think you just have to register as the father at the amphur office. If the child is too young to give consent, you may need to do it in court.

You need to go to court if child is under 7,been there done that.

Edited by soalbundy

There have been reports on this forum of it costing as little as 15,000 baht to get your parenthood legitimized by way of a Thai court.

You should have a look at this topic. http://www.thaivisa....ts-as-a-father/

My lawyer has quoted me a substantial amount...i called a few other lawyers who all quoted even higher than mine...I am not Thai so dont know the process involved or the paperwork needed..... Do you have any links for the costs of 15,000 as unable to find on the link you provided.

mine cost me 28,000 Baht here in SURIN includes lawyers costs and court costs

I am not aware if the rules are different for mothers and fathers, however I am the Australian mother of a daughter whose father is Thai. We are not married. The father is listed on the Australian birth certificate and my daughter still has only an Australian birth certificate and Australian passport. She has no Thai id and is not listed in her father's house book. Since her birth I have successfully applied for and received an annual multi-entry Non-immigrant type 0 passport as the parent/mother of a thai child. I have never had to show bank accounts or prove my income. I supply the following items only: my passport, photocopy of Australian birth certificate listing her thai father, a photocopy of daughter's passport page, a copy of her father's thai ID card, passport, and relevant house book page. I usually also include the next relevant flight details. I fill out the form and include two passport photos, pay my $250+ Australian dollars, and that's it. No problems, no dramas. This visa allows me to stay in Thailand for up to 90 days, and I then I can leave and re-enter on the same day. It is my understanding that as the parent of a thai child you are allowed to stay in the country to care for them as long as you provide the required proof of parentage. I always apply for my visa in Australia, but I believe you can also do it from any other country. I just think it's easier to do from your own country, but your girlfriend should be able to help you if applying from within Thailand. I don't think it will matter about your previous tourist visas as they will be happy you are now applying for the correct visa... after all, isn't that what this crackdown is all about? Good luck!

With the fathers help you daughter can have her Thai birth certificate and with that an ID-card and passport and all benefits that entitles staying in Thailand.

You yourself could get annual extensions of stay by showing 40,000 a month income or 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand.

I have just gone through the whole process to become the legal parent by Thai law to my 2 children. I am not married and have been with my long term Thai partner for about 9 years.

I contacted an International law firm in Bangkok to ask how much the process would cost me going through the court system, I was quoted around 85,000 baht for each child (not including additional fees for correspondence ect...) absolutely outrageous amount. So I decided to visit a few local law firms in my town, the first one had never done the process before so I moved onto the second law firm. They spoke limited English but that was not a problem as my Thai girlfriend translated anything myself or the lawyer could not understand. He quoted 20,000 baht for both children (10,000 baht per child). That was the price for everything from start to finish, no hidden charges.

The first step was for the lawyer to contact the local juvinille/family court where we had a meeting arranged to meet with the equivilant of a welfare/social worker. Myself, my girlfriend and my children had to attend along with my girlfriends mother. First my girlfriend and I were interviewed, they asked what employment I did in my home country, yearly income, how long I had been with my girlfriend ect ect.....they asked my children informally if I was their dad and a few other questions. After that my girlfriends mother who had been waiting outside was interviewed alone and was asked similar questions to what my girlfriend and I was asked. Everything matched up so that was fine. All in all we were there for about 2 hours in total.

Next we were given a court date which was about a month away. My girlfriend, children and I along with a close friend of my girlfriend who could vouch for us that we were telling the truth to the court attended court with my lawyer. The judge asked me around 20 questions relating to my income in my home country, where my children were born, dates of birth ect ect....no akward questions, asked my girlfriend the same questions and then her friend and that was it. About 3 weeks later the clerk of the court phoned my girlfriend to say the judged had approved and signed the relevant paper work and we collected it.

Last thing, with paper work signed by the judge in hand we went to our local amphur office, presented it to the lady at the desk, in less than 2 hours they had changed my son and daughters names by law to my surname on their birth certificates and various other bits of paper and I am now the recognized legal father of my 2 children by Thai law.

(P.S. my son who had just turned 7 years old AFTER the court case even got his first Thai I.D. card with my surname all in the same afternoon). The local amphur were very efficient and friendly. The whole process was painless and took about 2 months from start to finish.

Could you PM me the lawyer details please...many thanks

I am a single father (mother of our child died three years ago). When my son turned seven we went to the amphor's office to get his Thai ID card. There was no problem. His birth certificate and ID card both show my son as having my last name. The $64,000 question is, am I legally my son's father?

A great difference makes the fact if the mother agrees to it or not. if she agrees it is a straight forward process that doesn't required a very skilled lawyer. He only has to file a petition on your behalf to the court and does not have to be a great star.

it might require a dna test, a meeting at the court with a social worker and formal appearance before a judge. When the judge give his judgment, the judgment is taken to the amphur and registered there to show one is the legal father.

I have heard of people doing it themselves with the help of a court clerk to fill in the paperwork.

• Like 1

I am a single father (mother of our child died three years ago). When my son turned seven we went to the amphor's office to get his Thai ID card. There was no problem. His birth certificate and ID card both show my son as having my last name. The $64,000 question is, am I legally my son's father?

You are not his legal father by going and apply for his ID-card or by him having your last name.

You would have had to go to the amphur for the specific purpose of legitimizing your child. The amphur can tell you if you currently are officially registered as the legal father of the child.

If not, you now would only have the option to apply through the court and be awarded sole custody. It will probably a simple procedure, with a DNA test to confirm you are indeed the father.

^Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but just because I presented his paperwork and signed the forms means I am technically not his father? Does this mean anyone can take any child to apply for an ID card?