Tsunami survivors looking for Phuket couple who helped them

webfact

Its nice to hear a good story of kindness of people in need. Sad that your mother passed away.

My brother in law worked for the power company in phuket for many years. I will forward the pics to him to see if he knows them.

So fast! Couple who helped Phuket tsunami victims already found

PHUKET: The power of modern technology saw a happy ending in less than 24 hours today when a Thai couple who helped a British family 10 years ago after the Asian Tsunami were identified.

1405421885_1-org.jpg

Ben and Emily Willgrass, were in Phuket on holiday with their parents when the tsunami struck on December 26, 2004.

Their mother, Louise, was killed by the wave but they and their father were helped by a Phuket couple who took them in and then, because Phuket Airport was shut, drove them to Bangkok.

Ben and Emily are planning to return to Phuket on July 20, and wanted to meet the couple to thank them properly. But all they knew were the names "Upin" and "Pitchat". See earlier story here.

This afternoon, just 15 hours after Ben first posted on Facebook, asked for help, the Thai couple have been identified as Pichet and Yupin Sengmuang.

One of Pichet’s relatives spotted one of the many reports on the internet and called Khao Sod newspaper, which promptly ran a story online.

Ms Yupin, the newspaper said, is from Nakhon Sawan while Mr Pichet is from Phattalung. Some 10 years before the tsunami they moved to Phuket to open a food and grocery store at Trai Trang Beach.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/so-fast-couple-who-helped-phuket-tsunami-victims-already-found-47359.php#sthash.bxUMrt6Q.dpuf

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News July 15, 2014

• Like 1

So why does it take 10 years to bother to thank someone who was so important to your family? Call me cynic, but this is just hype press for no reason. And what??

Oz

I understood that they were just young children 10 years ago and now that they are adults have the means to travel and thank them personally.

I'm sure the Thai couple will be very happy to see that the young children they helped have grown up and become a productive part of society.

Pay it forward everyone.

• Like 2

Your comment only makes my point. I believe that the gratitude they wish to express is their own personal 'thing', for someone to make this into a media fluff piece not only belittles their sincerity, but shows just how low some [press] will go to get a story. Its not human interest more like " human infest'.

Oz

Edited by ozsamurai

British Tsunami Survivors To Reunite With Thai Rescuers
By Khaosod Enlish

BANGKOK — Two British survivors of the 2004 tsunami in Phuket are returning to Thailand to meet the Thai couple that helped them in the aftermath of the catastrophe.

In December 2004, Emily and Ben Willgrass, who are brother and sister, were on holiday with their parents in Phuket when the tsunami struck.

While their father searched for their mother, Emily and Ben took shelter with a Thai couple named Upin Sengmuang and Pitchet Buaniam. Their mother’s body was later found in basement of the Ocean Shopping Mall at Patong Beach.

According to Ms. Upin, the children's father was so devastated that he did not know how to break the news to Emily and Ben, so she had to explain to them what happened. After that, the Thai couple let Mr. Willgrass and his children stay at their home overnight and drove them 870km to Bangkok the following day because the Phuket airport was closed.

Emily and Ben recently decided to come back to Phuket on 20 July to reunite with Ms. Upin and Mr. Pitchet and thank them for their kindness. The siblings posted their plans on Facebook and asked for help locating the couple.

Their story quickly circulated on social media and Thai websites, and a number of people who recognized the faces of the Thai couple provided the Willgrass’s with their contact information.

“It has been a mad 24 hours for us, and we are just so happy to have found them and can’t wait to come and see them,” Ben told Khaosod English in an email.

"I feel very happy to know that [they] are returning to Thailand on 20 July to thank me," said Ms. Upin, who is now divorced from Mr. Pitchet. "I saw that they were the victims of the disaster. I had to help them the best I could. Anyone would have done the same.”

Mr. Pichet, who is now living in Phatthalung province, said he initially kept in touch with the Wilgrass’s but lost contacted with them after a few years. Yesterday, he found out about Ben and Emily’s effort to relocate him through a friend.

"I am very happy to know that the Wilgrass's haven't forgotten about me and [Ms. Upin], and that they still think of us," said Mr. Pichet, who is working as an assistant for the village headman in Phatthalung.

"In that incident, Upin and I helped many other foreign victims of the Tsunami, but the Wilgrass’s were the only family that contacted us after the crisis even though we have a difficult time communicating because I can only speak very little English,” said Mr. Pichet . “But I am very happy to meet with them again."

Mr. Pichet said he will travel to Phuket to meet Ben and Emily on 20 July and invite them to stay with him and give them a tour of Phuket island.

The 2004 tsunami, caused by the Indian Ocean earthquake, is considered to be the worse tsunami in human history, killing more 200,000 people across Southeast Asia.

The tsunami decimated much of Thailand’s Andaman coast, especially popular tourist destinations such as Phuket and Khao Lak. There were a total of 5,078 confirmed deaths in Thailand, half of whom were foreign tourists.

“Words cannot explain how thankful we are for the help and support they gave us,” Ben and Emily wrote in their Facebook post. “The kindness they showed at a time when it was needed most will never be forgotten.”

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1405490376

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-07-16

• Like 1

I am not offended by his remark, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, please if possible re-instate the post minus the perceived offensive A word. He doesn't know me, he doesn't know them and I have stated my point that it is a fluff piece that drums up sympathy for no real reason than the press mileage.

Oz

I am not offended by his remark, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, please if possible re-instate the post minus the perceived offensive A word. He doesn't know me, he doesn't know them and I have stated my point that it is a fluff piece that drums up sympathy for no real reason than the press mileage.

Oz

What part of ·"posted on facebook" and "picked up by other social media" do you not understand?

I'm all for Ben and Emily reuniting with Pitchat and Upin, provided, they (Ben/Emily) in no way, shape, or form, profit from the reunion through media interviews, a documentary etc, etc.

On that basis, good luck to all concerned. I'm sure it will be emotional visit.

So why does it take 10 years to bother to thank someone who was so important to your family? Call me cynic, but this is just hype press for no reason. And what??

Oz

A bit unfair Oz as both children were obviously young at the time and we're not in a position to 'thank' these people. On the other hand, their father, Nigel, has worked tirelessly to establish an orphanage on Phuket for other bereft children and has helped schools in the area. Rotary International has also helped his cause financially through the good offices of the Rotary Club in Patong.

• Like 2

On a serious note, I do hope the two children will meet the real savers. It's very easy at this time for criminals and scammers to suddenly appear and contact these two.

So I hope, they do their research properly, and try to ask some things that were particular to the time they met. Like ask questions about what they ate, what the house looked like and etc. To prevent when they actually meet, the suspects being bad people. Internet isn't as safe as we all think, especially since they made the news so big.

I have to agree with Ox on this one. Why wait 10 years? And the father has worked with Patong Rotary to establish an orphanage on Phuket? Was he looking for the couple during this? Something more to it maybe?

But good that the Thai couple are getting the thanks they deserve

• Like 1

I'm not for raining on their parade, but please understand that it is just that a 'parade'. Dress it up as 'human interest', call him a patriot, whatever spin makes you sleep at night. But its still a situation that has been latched onto by the press to their own ends. I'd love to know more details about the 10year involvement with Phucket and the fund raising etc. Something is a little odd there, but still not my original point.

Oz

• Like 1

I'm not for raining on their parade, but please understand that it is just that a 'parade'. Dress it up as 'human interest', call him a patriot, whatever spin makes you sleep at night. But its still a situation that has been latched onto by the press to their own ends. I'd love to know more details about the 10year involvement with Phucket and the fund raising etc. Something is a little odd there, but still not my original point.

Oz

Your additional redundant posts seem to negate whatever point you were trying to make with the first one. Perhaps one day you may wake up from your "I am the center of the Universe" attitude and realize that the publishing world is not interested in your opinion nor will they ask your permission before printing. The only thing impressive about your comments is how impressed you seem to be with them. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Your comment only makes my point. I believe that the gratitude they wish to express is their own personal 'thing', for someone to make this into a media fluff piece not only belittles their sincerity, but shows just how low some [press] will go to get a story. Its not human interest more like " human infest'.

Oz

i am interested in this story. if you dont like it Oz, nick off eh and stop spoiling a nice story with your cynicism bah.gif

Ditto, and that goes for all the other conspiracy theorists and cynics commenting too

Emily, 25, and Ben, 23 – who both now work for the family’s financial business in Norwich

http://www.wattonandswaffhamtimes.co.uk/news/memorial_woodland_opened_in_swaffham_to_remember_tsunami_victim_louise_willgrass_1_3660197

FUNDS management, not in good shape it seems apart from being a Rothchild subsidiary...

It doesn't take much to look into facts, but no... just swallow it.

The whole point is I don't care if you think its a real story or not. What annoys me is the press mileage they get for something that is so apparently a bit odd to say the least. The papers have not done nor care to do due diligence.

Oz

• Like 1