Advice needed to paint the garden wall.

Costas2008

Time has come for me to paint the front garden wall.

It's being untouched from when it was build, 5 years ago.

Just the cement rendering.

There are quite a lot of dark patches due to the rain and some rust leakage from the iron flagpoles.

I'm not a DIY man, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Now, your advice is needed here.

Should I first rub the wall with sandpaper, if yes what grade do you suggest?

Should I prime the wall before I paint?

What primer should I use?

How many coats?

After the primer, how many coats of paint should I give?

What paint should I use?

I know.....a lot of questions, but I will really appreciate your help and advice.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Costas

No sanding nescessary unless you want to shell out mega baht on a 30 second life sheet of sandpaper
Unless you wish to remove any globs of mortar that accidently got splashed onto your wall but i would use a plain scraper for this.

Use a good quality standard undercoat/or concrete sealant

Two coats are the norm and in damp areas particularly look at using anti-fungal paints
Exterior ICI,Jotun,Nippon,Berger or the more expensive TOA 4 Seasons are paints that work well here.

Oh and do remember to purchase a roller and or paintbrush.

Edited by Brit_Doggie
  • Like 1

Not really an expert myself .....BUT if the wall has been untouched for 5 years and showing signs of wear ....I would first paint it with a "concrete sealer" which also acts as a primer. Then I would use a top of the line paint such as TOA 7 in 1 (its a kind of rubberized paint ....has elastomeric in it)

Again ...not a painter ....nor an expert (so could be wrong ....TV posters feel free to chastize me) ...just my thought as to what should do the job and last a long time looking good.

• Like 1

DONT paint it....buy a very high pressure water blaster and clean it after every wet season......when blasting use a strong mixture of chlorine in the water...gets rid of the mold.....Thats by far the best way to go i feel as the cost of good paint (which is useless) and it's life span....make it a pain in the arse.

• Like 1

How big/long is the wall? As this determines economics.

The first coat is VERY important it will determine the look of the wall forever. Oh and you have to paint both sides!

First brush all the surface dust off, then clean with Muriatic/hydrochloric acid from hardware store. Just dip a roller in the acid and coat the wall, just like painting. Rinse with a hose pipe. Then leave to dry.

Then I would use epoxy paint, yes it is expensive but it depends how many times in your lifetime you want to paint the wall? Once or often.

Whichever paint you decide on the first coat should be 20% paint, 80% thinner. Why? because the concrete absorbs the thinner,carries the paint into the pores and seals the concrete. Second coat you paint as normal.

OR as has been said just power wash it and leave it natural.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

DONT paint it....buy a very high pressure water blaster and clean it after every wet season......when blasting use a strong mixture of chlorine in the water...gets rid of the mold.....Thats by far the best way to go i feel as the cost of good paint (which is useless) and it's life span....make it a pain in the arse.

Hmmm, that suits me, being naturally lazy..........

Going to Global house to have a look at the selection.

Would you recommend a certain make?

• Like 1

Hmmm, that suits me, being naturally lazy..........

Going to Global house to have a look at the selection.

Would you recommend a certain make?

ARCHER 2.9 Water Blaster.....German Made...less than 9000 baht at Home Pro...

Help!!!! eyboard gone crasy....one letter gone from name (1st one).....

Edited by weegee
  • Like 1