Elevated hemidiaphragm

Preacher

I seem to have an elevated hemidiaphragm of the left side.

I did some searching on internet and understand what it is and what the causes are. In my case a fall I took in 2008. (x-rays don't show any other abnormalities).

But what I don't get a good grip on is how serious is this? My doctors at the local hospital seem to know about this since 2008 but have never mentioned it to me let alone suggested any treatment. It is sometimes a bit painful, but nothing too serious and mostly gone after a few days or a few weeks.

Can anybody tell me if there is any reason for concern?

A fall would be unlikely to cause this unless there was a penetrating injury that damaged the phrenic nerve.

usually this is caused by some underlying pathology such as a tumor in the abdomen or a lung problem.

Seriousness depends on the underlying cause.

Ask for an ultrasound to be performed as well, not just X-ray. The diaphragm is either "pulled up" by a lung problem or something inside the chest, or "pushed" up by an enlarged organ such as the spleen inside the abdomen.

If phrenic nerve injury, as Sheryl pointed out above, an ultrasound will show movement of the diaphragm which may be absent or much reduced in this case.