Bangkok Administration gets tough over temple crematoriums

webfact

CREMATION
BMA gets tough over temple crematoriums

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has threatened to take action against temples using crematoriums that exceed its limits for pollutants.

We may impose fines and suspend the use of the crematoriums," Injira Niyoomtoon said yesterday in her capacity as chief of the BMA's Environmental Sanitation Division.

Some 310 temples in Bangkok have crematoriums, with each of them cremating between 10 and 15 bodies a month, she said. "Although most temples have switched to better crematoriums in recent times, we still receive complaints from local people," Injira said, adding that in response to the complaints, the BMA would inspect crematoriums at the temples in question next month.

The crematoriums should not emit more than 100 milligrams of dust particles, more than 100 milligrams of carbon monoxide and more than 200 milligrams of sulphur dioxide per cubic metre of air when in use, she added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/BMA-gets-tough-over-temple-crematoriums-30238594.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-16

This I going to be difficult to implement. Crematoriums are a big money maker for temples.. coffee1.gif

You seem to contradict yourself here.

If crematoriums are big money makers it should be no problem, no major financial burden for the temple to improve their crematorium, by using more modern 'ovens' and up-to-date exhaust filters. IMHO wai.gif

• Like 1

Your right Rubl.. I meant going to be hard for the govt. to crackdown on them. Being Buddhist temples and all. They shouldn't mind up-grading, but they don't like spending money on things like up-grades. Probably going to take a stern letter from the Big Sangha to make them get off the pot, so to speak..

Your right Rubl.. I meant going to be hard for the govt. to crackdown on them. Being Buddhist temples and all. They shouldn't mind up-grading, but they don't like spending money on things like up-grades. Probably going to take a stern letter from the Big Sangha to make them get off the pot, so to speak..

With relatives of my wife having passed away I had a closer look at the 'installation' at Wat Ampawan in the Dusit district in Bangkok. Gas-fueled oven, but the (typical Thai?) desire of relatives to have a final look (even if seeing a casket only), half-open, less isolated, etc., etc. it would seem.

Some of the Wats in Bangkok or those outside may be a bit more primitive and certainly in real rural areas Wats may have no money to burn or spent on ecological improvements.

• Like 1

Mostly in small villages, even larger villages outside Bangkok, everything just flies up the chimney. Turn on the gas, light the fire and let 'er rip.. scoop out the ashes after everything cools off and Bob's your uncle. smile.png

Sometimes I just can't help myself! My mum's brother, my Uncle Ern was cremated and his ashes where saved and kept in an urn by my Aunty. So, when we planned to go to see her my brother would yell out to mum "Are we ready yet to go and see Aunty Flo and the 2 Ernies?" facepalm.gif

Yes, brother Stu....and I....will be going straight to he11 when we depart. I think mum and Aunty Flo arranged it before there departure!

Green cremations.....way to go!

I think thats called burial and they used to do it in Thailand, about time they got back to it, waste of gas to burn, feed the worms and recycle.