Truth, If Possible, Not Guessing

Gonzo the Face

Over the many years that I have lived here , I have heard many times , that the police performance would be greatly improved if they were paid a better salary. In other words there would be no need or asking for an ' under the table tea money ' donation.

Many say they need to be better paid, but does anyone know what they are in fact paid? How much is a starting police office paid per month and what are the intervals of salary increases? Say how much can they have as a salary in 5 years?

And do you think that a better salary would indeed bring about an elimination in tea money payments or just that tea money is just added onto a higher base?

Be interested in what you think?

My wife has family members in the police force. She tells me that starting pay and allowances about 12,000 baht/month (although that is older information - might be out of date). Pay increases by 250 baht/month each year. More increase if move up in position after a number of years.

Wife makes the point that police officers must buy (pay) for their uniform, gun, radio, etc. Also it takes 3 months before a new officer receives his money. Something to do with paperwork delays.

• Like 2

My wife has family members in the police force. She tells me that starting pay and allowances about 12,000 baht/month (although that is older information - might be out of date). Pay increases by 250 baht/month each year. More increase if move up in position after a number of years.

Wife makes the point that police officers must buy (pay) for their uniform, gun, radio, etc. Also it takes 3 months before a new officer receives his money. Something to do with paperwork delays.

Yes, i've been told much the same.....pathetic pay and conditions for a law enforcement job..that someone has to do....

If a policeman can't afford a gun he doesn't have one! Last time I went in a gun shop stuff seemed to cost about 400% more than in the UK. Import taxes to protect the thai gun industry( just joking). The police force has to generate its own budget and when you understand that it explains how they operate.

Well I for one think they need more money. Times are changing. When I first got here the road blocks were predominantly at about the first of the month. Now they are at it all month it would seem.

Money would help only to a degree. The big difference would be made with a better screening for applicants and a much better training for the successful applicants.

In Canada My wife worked with a person who had been turned down twice by the Vancouver police department for his attitude. He met all the physical and mental tests but had to aggressive of an attitude.

Well I for one think they need more money.

That might be true, but I doubt that a higher salary would stop most of the the corruption in the police force.

When I lived in Kuala Lumpur the Government gave all Police Officers a 25% rise, this was so extorting money would no longer be needed. I saw no difference in the following 2 years I lived there.

• Like 2

Where I live I have never seen a cop, eeeeeeeeer, once. Folk, kids ride bikes, no hat, number, insurance etc. Few years back I sat in the garden and added up all the "possible" fines that could be taken over a period of 2 hours. It came out at around 20,000bht. But the BiB don't want to work and collect the cash that could be used to bolster pay AND save lives.

• Like 1

as having a police protection policy for close to 9 yrs , i feel what i have paid(approx100.000 baht ,all which goes into the distribution pot,) is great value for the services they provide

perhaps the cynics called it a bribe,that may be the case

but i called it services rendered, and help if needed, its just a cell phone call awaysmile.png i

darky your policemans wages,conditions etc etc that u have posted,are on the money,why would one, not want a cup of of tea or two

a very nice afternoon to allbiggrin.png

Money would help only to a degree. The big difference would be made with a better screening for applicants and a much better training for the successful applicants.

In Canada My wife worked with a person who had been turned down twice by the Vancouver police department for his attitude. He met all the physical and mental tests but had to aggressive of an attitude.

Sadly this is all down to money again. . The going rate for "consideration" to apply to join the po;ice force is around 100,000 baht. The same goes for a lot of "jobs with perks" such as government departments and airline cabin crew. There was a case recently where a woman sued the police force for refusing her son entry after she had paid 100,000 baht, it's in the "too hard" basket at the moment. Nothing is guaranteed.

A girl I know on Thai international flights, paid through her parents 250,000 baht for the job.

When the graft stops, they might actually employ people on merit!!

As an aside I wonder how much Beetlejuice junior paid to get inrolleyes.gif

Beg to disagree. A better screening would not include money it would be based on ability to perform the job.

Are you unwilling to concede that this government is really trying to clean up the corruption? Seems to me you are giving the same old tired rhetoric. This is Thailand and nothing will ever change. Also the same old tired rhetoric this is the 13th or 14th coup nothing will change because all the others failed and the current one's are to stupid to learn from them. Or that other good old fashioned rhetoric that it is all just talk. No action. Check with the cab's in Phuket. Check with the back to back tourist permits after Aug. 12. Check with the pad suppliers for the every student gets a pad. The list goes on. Nothing changes overnight. remember they give them selves 3 months then turn it over to a provisional government for one year to 15 months to straighten out the mess. Then an election. Look at the proposals the EC has put forward for election changes.

Yes I admit I am optimistic but I believe Thailand deserves better and from what I have seen up to this point in my opinion they are getting it.

I am also well aware of the fact that their are farongs/forongs (where is the spelling police when I need them) and many Thais who for reasons that do not conform to legal laws and visas being enforced would rather have the PTP with their growing corruption 2% in 2013 and their cut in funding to the board seeking out the corrupt individuals and scams still in power.. Please do not take that personally it is just a fact I am well aware off and I can understand their anti coup attitude. But as we say in the west you can't make an omelet with out breaking eggs.

• Like 1

Sadly this is all down to money again. . The going rate for "consideration" to apply to join the po;ice force is around 100,000 baht. The same goes for a lot of "jobs with perks" such as government departments and airline cabin crew. There was a case recently where a woman sued the police force for refusing her son entry after she had paid 100,000 baht, it's in the "too hard" basket at the moment. Nothing is guaranteed.

A girl I know on Thai international flights, paid through her parents 250,000 baht for the job.

A family member sought an interdepartmental transfer from a federal government office in Chiang Mai Province to the Chiang Mai city office. No problems, just give me 400,000 baht, said the boss.

That would mean she would be working for three years for no pay. No tea money for her to offset the cost.

It is pretty grim when senior public servants rob their junior staff. You must wonder what the loyalty and work ethic is like in these offices. Maybe it explains a few things.

Just out of curiosity are we going to live with what they did in the past forever and ignore what is happening today?

Or are people just so down on Thai's they are unwilling to give them a chance? Just condemn them for ever because they are Thai's.

Beg to disagree. A better screening would not include money it would be based on ability to perform the job.

Are you unwilling to concede that this government is really trying to clean up the corruption? Seems to me you are giving the same old tired rhetoric. This is Thailand and nothing will ever change. Also the same old tired rhetoric this is the 13th or 14th coup nothing will change because all the others failed and the current one's are to stupid to learn from them. Or that other good old fashioned rhetoric that it is all just talk. No action. Check with the cab's in Phuket. Check with the back to back tourist permits after Aug. 12. Check with the pad suppliers for the every student gets a pad. The list goes on. Nothing changes overnight. remember they give them selves 3 months then turn it over to a provisional government for one year to 15 months to straighten out the mess. Then an election. Look at the proposals the EC has put forward for election changes.

Yes I admit I am optimistic but I believe Thailand deserves better and from what I have seen up to this point in my opinion they are getting it.

I am also well aware of the fact that their are farongs/forongs (where is the spelling police when I need them) and many Thais who for reasons that do not conform to legal laws and visas being enforced would rather have the PTP with their growing corruption 2% in 2013 and their cut in funding to the board seeking out the corrupt individuals and scams still in power.. Please do not take that personally it is just a fact I am well aware off and I can understand their anti coup attitude. But as we say in the west you can't make an omelet with out breaking eggs.

Yes I certailny do agree that the current Junta is doing an outstanding job, but afer personally witnessing corruption on a grand scale over the last 30 years, you'll have to pardon me for being a little cynicalwai.gif

• Like 2

Yes I certailny do agree that the current Junta is doing an outstanding job, but afer personally witnessing corruption on a grand scale over the last 30 years, you'll have to pardon me for being a little cynicalwai.gif

Not a problem. You are forgiven.

On the same note not having been here through the previous ones do you see more truth and honesty in this one as compared to the other ones? I get a strong feeling that you do.

As I said I am an optimist. Just the suggested changes by the EC are inspiring. Not sure of the effectiveness of them but I am quite sure that in the next year there will be other changes to strengthen them.

You mention corruption on a grand scale. I see where the PTP reached the highest peak since Amnesty International started keeping records in 2,000.

Does better pay reduce corruption? Yes, but only if coupled with other measures.

HK was a notoriously corrupt place, and it wasn't just the police force. Then, in the early Seventies, they set up an Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) with wide-ranging powers to investigate and prosecute anyone. This independent force answered directly to the Governor. Laws were introduced where you could be charged with "having assets/life style beyond your means" I presume that the onus would be on the accused to prove their money was legally acquired.

A mostly blanket amnesty was issued for past transgressions. Bribe givers were made equally culpable. Pay, conditions and retirement benefits were substantially improved.

The result was a very quick and remarkable improvement in governance and change in culture.

Just now The ICAC is prosecuting a former Chief secretary (number two position in the government) for accepting bribes from a very large, publicly listed property developer. So while there's still corruption, it's nothing at all like it used to be.

T

• Like 1