We're sorry. Purchasing a JibJab membership is currently unavailable in your location?

Shoeboat

JibJab is a digital entertainment site specializing in personalized e-cards and videos and is a great and hilarious way to cheer up somebody, on their birthday or otherwise.

In 2009 I had no problem creating a card and paying $4,99 for the download onto an mov. file, however - now one has to become a member (which I thought I already was) but although I can view a hilarious video of my brother and his wife doing a silly dance I created through their website using cut outs of their heads from photos, I am unable to buy it or use it in any way which is carrot danglingly frustrating.

Why?

I have contacted the US based company regarding this issue but could it be that it's yet another victim of Thai government power tripping paranoia. I hope I can be forgiven for jumping to this conclusion being that they have banned more websites than any other country on the planet.

JibJab website below for those curious.

http://www.jibjab.com/

If you really receive the message "We're sorry. Purchasing a JibJab membership is currently unavailable in your location?" as described in your headline, then it has nothing to do with the Thai government, but with the company who for what ever reason decided that they don't want business from Thailand.

• Like 2

As mentioned, It isn't specific to Thailand. Certain countries are automatically put on a black list due to the higher amount of fraud or hacking activities that occur from those locations.

Many people are unfairly affected by being painted by this wide brush. Fortunately there are work-arounds that you can temporarily employ to complete your legitimate transaction.

Take a look at this ThaiVisa pinned posting for more info:

Started by Tywais, 2010-01-30 16:10
  • Like 1

How many free ecard sites are there on the Internet?

But, then, how many of those are active entryways to malware and exploits.

I was 'that close' to reporting the thread to the admins, but then I foggily remembered that the jibjab site sort of makes marionette movies. So this particular site wasn't a threat.

I just have some bad memories, after AOL imploded, all their users trying to migrate to the real Internet, them sending out ecards because that was the new thing to do. eCards that required special downloads just to play, that then either broke or infected the receiving system. My vowing to never open another ecard, ever ... even if it was from some sweet little old lady whom I really should have responded back, because, you know, being nice sometimes comes with unexpected reward$.

I remember originally thinking that ecards were going to be the beginning of 'net 2.0 and later believing that the entire Internet concept was now doomed and would never recover. Bad, bad memories.

I just received one of these JibJab e cards the other day, from someone based in Thailand who uses a UK credit card.... funniest ecard I have ever seen... biggrin.png

Not sure how he works around this only available in USA thing, I will ask!

That problem seems to be true with a number of US web sites.... Hulu and Netflix... to name a couple more ! ..facepalm.gif

[...]

That problem seems to be true with a number of US web sites.... Hulu and Netflix... to name a couple more ! ..facepalm.gif

Some people like to use in-browser utilities like Zenmate or Hola! that can utilize proxy servers in different countries that allows them to utilize web services that only work in certain geographical regions.

I just want users to know this isn't some magic button one can press to make things work. One should really understand the issues and implications of using these types of work-arounds.

• Like 1

I just received one of these JibJab e cards the other day, from someone based in Thailand who uses a UK credit card.... funniest ecard I have ever seen...

That problem seems to be true with a number of US web sites.... Hulu and Netflix... to name a couple more ! ..

Hulu and Netflix don't own the distribution rights to their movie inventory in most countries.

I suspect the ecard company got tired of dealing with a high percentage of scam payments (later disputed with credit card companies) coming from certain countries, so they just don't do business there.

• Like 1