Looking for an update on living in Koh Tao (internet speeds / how to find place / learning thai

Greetings.

I visited Ko Tao 8 years ago and told myself I would one day live here for 6 months. I feel that time could be now, but looking for an update on what the island is like these days. I'm guessing the island is more touristy and isn't as quiet as it once was. I found info for the other islands, but info on Koh Tao is a bit limited. Anyways, would love your input if you have it on some of the questions below:

What is the best way to find a place?

Is it still a case of coming to the island and negotiating in person? Can this be done without speaking thai? Once I arrive to the island, is there specific places I should look or people I should speak to?

What are the going rates for 6 month rental?

I'm looking for a/c, nice, safe and secure is imperative ((for computer, passport, and belongings). Would love a pool, fast internet speeds is a requirement for work. Looking for somewhere somewhat quiet (not on top of a bar), and either secluded or in an area with neighbours that are also working professionals. I'm going on my own, so would like to meet people. Being in complete isolation on a mountain top likely wouldn't work..

What is the going price for a scooter?

Should I just buy one, or negotiate for a 6 month rental once i'm there, or ?

What's the best way to learn thai?

Is there any programs or teachers on the island? Or should I focus my efforts online.

What should I expect for internet speeds?

I've read the cellphone and sim card is the only option? Is that true? How's coverage on the island, i'm willing to pay for a business line for fast and reliable internet.

Meeting locals and making friends with other expats?

Where are good local places? Are there any other communities (fb groups?)

Doing business on the island

I run an advertising agency where most of my work/clients are located in Canada and USA. The rest of my team works remotely across NA. I would love to work with locals on the island. Is there any demand around marketing services, or is this something I should avoid as it will upset the locals?

Getting items shipped to the island.

Is it possible to get items shipped to me (clothing, suitcase, items from amazon)? Assuming this will be crazy expensive, but how realistic to actually receive items that get shipped to me on this remote island.

Any quick tips or thoughts around any of these subjects would help me immensely.

Doing business on the island

I run an advertising agency where most of my work/clients are located in Canada and USA. The rest of my team works remotely across NA. I would love to work with locals on the island. Is there any demand around marketing services, or is this something I should avoid as it will upset the locals?

You will need a non-immigrant visa and a work permit to do this.

The best way to find a place is still to physically drive around the island. It is easily achieved without speaking thai.

Your needs with the exception of the pool would place you in one of the developments in the mountain sides. These are occupied by divers primarily and have awesome atmospheres.

I do not know of any with pools, the prices for an A/C modern bungalow costs from 9000 upwards in my experience.

The internet in some places is included in the price, however this type of internet is usually bogged down by people downloading. If you wish to have quick, no internet here is fast by my standards. Koh Tao wifi is your best option. Check the signal when in the bungalow. The coverage is the enemy here. Speeds are about 1MB (10mbps).

If here for six months then buying is easiest, for a old but working bike you are talking between 5000 - 7000. Renting you will pay more. I have a friend who privately rents bikes without passports, and only asks if you crash you fix. Scratches and minor damage doesnt matter.

There are no private lines here. No private internet.

Koh Tao is that small as you know, pretty much everywhere is a good place to meet people. Though most head to the busy nightlife on Sairee in the evening after relaxing at the dive shop. On Facebook you have koh tao trader, koh tao for sale, koh tao community and more.

There is no harm in asking if this is a service that people would be interested in, and gauging the response for yourself. Locals seem keen to learn from western ideas. Just do no ply your trade at the pier, this i know for sure is Thai only, everywhere else ask.

It is not really much more expensive to have items shipped here. Make sure you have a trustworthy address. I use my dive shop to have stuff delivered.

Koh Tao is not so remote, thanks to the decent logistics provided by companies such as lomprayah.

I hope this helps. If you have anything else to ask or need clarification, just ask.

All the best.

Adam

Sent from my HUAWEI G610-U20 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

There is a Thai language school just outside of Sairee on the main road with a prominent sign outside. For learning on your own I think the Linguaphone course is the best (most comprehensive and well structured). Pimsleur is not bad but does not cover as much. The American Foreign Service Institute course is very dated but also good and has been made available free on the net http://www.thai-language.com/fsi There are also a couple of books you see everywhere I think by Boonsri-Becker these are reasonable but cover less than the others.

Quite honestly though Koh Tao is a terrible place to learn Thai as you encounter pretty few Thais there. Even in the hotels and restaurants most of the staff are Burmese. While I am there I find more often than not speaking Thai gets you blank looks. You will probably have to go out of your way to get much chance to practice Thai on Koh Tao.

• Like 1

What kind of visa do you have? Are you sure you'll be able to stay 6 months on your visa?

Good point. I've been reading the other visa threads.. looks like i'm screwed...

=(

You will fine with a double entry tourist visa from your home country.

The crackdown affects only people that live here for years and get new visas in neighboring countries.

What does a "double entry tourist visa" actually mean. I looked at the thai visa site and it looks like I can get a 60 day visa, but that's it? Would I just apply while i'm there for another 60 day (bringing my total to 120 days.. that = 4 months. Not bad, but not my goal of 6 months.

Is there any digital and marketing agencies on the 3 islands? I've noticed most websites (hotels, bugalows, diving shops, bars, travel sites) are extremely outdated and things are still 10+ years behind. I work with a lot of startups and small businesses and help them with advertising and marketing. I could potentially help local businesses in the region. No plans to do anything illegal, but if there was demand, I could go down the path of registering a business and hire designers and developers in the region. I'm sure I create jobs and train them. Guessing Ko Samui would be a better location for this, but would love to hear any thoughts.

One thing I have noticed here, with these websites you mention, and people that have them, being out of date, is because well meaning visitors come and set them up for businesses and then leave.... so there is no updating of websites.... facepalm.gif

Many Thai's are left clueless of how to maintain them ! (not all I should say... but usually higher end resorts have tech savvy staff to deal with this...) ....

Some thing you should consider and look at carefully before jumping "into the fire with work permits" etc .... wink.png ....very often too, some of them really don't need them, they rely on repeat business and word of mouth....

I am sure some others may have some thoughts!...eh! thumbsup.gif

Just to add on internet speeds mine is usually fairly consistent at 10mbs on 3BB 900baht +- plan.... on Samui... but you have to pay 12 months upfront .... (first year, to have your own line) ....

Edited by samuijimmy

What does a "double entry tourist visa" actually mean. I looked at the thai visa site and it looks like I can get a 60 day visa, but that's it? Would I just apply while i'm there for another 60 day (bringing my total to 120 days.. that = 4 months. Not bad, but not my goal of 6 months.

A double entry visa gives you two entries to Thailand each gives you permission to stay for 60 days.

Each entry can be extended by 30 days at immigrations in Thailand.

60+30=90 days, then a border jump and the another 60+30 days = 180 days.

Some consulates in the Northerner hemisphere will give you a triple entry, that will give you 270 days.

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for all of the detailed information.

I've been looking online and using facebook groups to try to find places, but wondering if anyone can give rough estimates on pricing

>

adamtwilley, Mentioned prices starting from 9000 baht per month for a bungalow

What is a realistic price to pay for place with a pool, nice patio, and view for a 3 month commitment? 12,000? 15,000? 20,000, 25,000 +?

Edited by kennyincanada

• 1 month later...

Bumping my previous thread, does anyone have any insight?

What is a realistic price to pay for place with a pool, nice patio, and view for a 3 month commitment? 12,000? 15,000? 20,000, 25,000 +?

Is January, after the holidays a good time to find 3-6 month places, or should I wait until Feb/March?

Maybe you should consider another island than Koh Tao after what happened recently ?

Who would really want to live there now when there are so many other options in LOS.

Edited by balo

Maybe you should consider another island than Koh Tao after what happened recently ?

Who would really want to live there now when there are so many other options in LOS.

What does LOS stand for?

I really enjoyed the island on my last visit. Open to other suggestions of course, but looking for quieter island life versus ko samui.

I also thought there would be heightened security and some great deals to be had with the recent tragic news? No disrespect, hope the killer(s) are found quickly and family members have support they need

Edited by kennyincanada

There are plenty of places on Samui where you can get away from the tourists. Something you can't do on Tao. Forget thinking that prices will be cheaper after what has happened there recently. They aren't. A comparison for you.

On Samui you pay around 27 baht a unit for your water. Tao is between 350 and 450 baht a unit. Electric on Samui is 6 baht and tao is 10 at the very cheapest and 35- 40 at worst. Internet you can get for 3-500 baht a month for decent download speeds. On Samui I had a nice two bed detached bungalow with a nice garden, 2 aircon, living room, laundry room, large kitchen and large garden for 5000 a month. On Tao I have a room for 10,000 a month with intermittent water and internet signal. The same goes for anything you need from the shops. A 12 baht bottle of water is 12 Baht against 20 -25 baht. A coke is 14 against 20 -25. A can of beer is 30 baht against 45 etc etc. There are also better language schools to boot thumbsup.gif

Up to you as they like to say here wink.png

LOS = Land of Smiles!

I pretty much agree with PIPiff's comments above ^ .... There are many areas of Samui that are quite ... just avoid Chawang parts of Bophut, and parts of Lamai!

Having said that there are quiet places within those locations.... but too, many very quiet places around the island... North end, west and southern areas...

Most prices on Samui are generally lower, because of the larger population base.... Koh Phangan is more expensive - lower population ... and KT more because of less people! House prices vary a lot.... so it's hard to give a good answer on that...

Samui and KP Internet is good, (although can depend on area & depending on provider) .... my choice is 3bb... which has very little problems... (I am not sure about internet on KT) ...

I really you need to spend a little time comparing and adding up what suites your needs!

EH!

What's the real deal with Koh Tao? There appears to be a lot of hate, or people that are generally upset with the island. Can someone explain the situatio, what happened to the island?

There has been a dual homicide. You can read the Samui News section on the top of this forum or the General Thailand News.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/196-koh-samui-news/

or

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/18-thailand-news/