finding Ubon airport?

kunash

I have found Ubon to be one of the few places in Thailand where the road signs (even the major ones ) are in Thai only. No English and no graphics. The airport is almost in the town though towards the north east whereas the 24 comes in from the south west meaning that you drive almost through the city and take a left.

Follow a map and good luck. The consolation is that the airport is very big and well known so you could ask.

posted from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2.

I agree with thaibry that signposting within urban Ubon is hopeless - mostly Thai only. When I first moved to the region I got totally lost in Warin trying to find the airport. The only saving grace is that most streets are named in dual language. That said I do not agree that the issue is an Ubon-only problem; many town centres in Thailand are signed up for parochial traffic - thru traffic can just go hang!

I suggest that you go round the ring road (highway 231) travelling clockwise to the north side of Ubon, kunash. Then come down into Ubon using the junction for the highway for Amnat Charoen (highway 212), turning south for Ubon centre rather than north for Amnat. This might sound counter-intuitive, but it will take no longer than negotiating the traffic and some rather confusing turnings with Warin Champrap and you are less likely to suffer a panicky dislocation.

When you come down into Ubon from the ring road/Amnat junction you are on Chayangkhun Road. You will drive south on Chayangkhun for exactly 4.1km passing successively by Index, Sunnee Plaza and Tesco Lotus on your left. Once you have past Tesco Lotus look out for airport graphic signs on your left hand side. At 4.1km you will be directed by such a sign to turn left and the signs will then direct you along Upalissan for 1.2 km until the signs direct you to turn left at traffic lights to enter the airport.

• Like 2

If you know your way around on Route 24, then its a piece of cake. But like SantiSuk said, it is easy to get lost in Warin. Especially since a small part of Route 24 in Warin turns into a 1 way street and you have to take a small detour to get back on to route 24.

But, if you can handle that part, the remaining part is easy.

Going north on Route 24 exiting Warin, you will go over a fairly large bridge. Keep going straight. On the right hand side you will pass a shell gas station. Then after about 2km you will see an intersection with a Esso gas station on the right. Pass that intersection. The NEXT intersection is your right turn on to Uppalisan Rd. about 100m into that street, you will see on the left "airforce 21" which you will pass. Keep going and there will be a white brick wall ( mostly with paintings of the King ) on your left that will basically lead you to the airport. Follow that wall. The 3rd traffic light you have to turn left which will lead you straight into the airport.

Good luck and safe travels :)

• Like 2

thanks for replies

I will be coming from surin. I am in a hire car. I will need to drop the car off at the airport then go back to the hotel ( looked at the sunee grande so might try ).

looked on the map again and cant see the ring road 231.

I will get google maps - good idea.

my thai wife will be with me so hopefully everything will go ok. I know I will go over a river, the road will widen. then on the right I will pass TMB bank and then SK shopping park, then it is the right turn there.

When you come from Surin, please make a left turn at the big junction.( The road straight goes to Warin) Drive always straight on the ring road, you'll pass by Central World, then also Big C.

Still go straight until you see a sign to Yasothon, turn right there. The name of the road is Chajanghoon rd. Again, always drive straight, leave the Sunee Plaza, Tesco Lotus behind you.

Then you'll see the Rajabhat university on the right hand side, (just for your orientation) still go straight and turn the next road left. Then you'll pass by "Peppers", where you'll see the Army airport.

Drive down that road and make a left turn, until you see the airport. Ubon was also driving me nuts, mostly when you ask people for directions, they're not from Ubon and send you somewhere else.

Good luck.

Edited by lostinisaan

Better to ignore LostinIsaans post. Sorry LiIssan, fatal flaw - turning right at the Yasothon turn off the Ring Road does not take you down Chachangoon Road (sic) or any road with a Sunnee Plaza or Tesco Lotus in it.

OP if you do take the ring road route (and it does have the advantage that you will pass and see the Sunnee Plaza Hotel (which would be my recommendation if you want to pay as much as 1,500 baht and get Ubon's besthotel into the bargain) the following is some further directions. If you want to plough straight ahead through Warin (as your post implies) then disregard the following

Assuming that you will arrive into Ubon area on highway 2178 from Kantharalak (rather than following Highway 24 the very long way round through Det Udom) see the attached pdf overview map of the 'Ring Road':

Approaching Ubon you will pass a Big C on your left. After 1k (approx) you will come to your first set of traffic lights. Turn left (west) signed for Sisaket and Yasothon; you are now on the southern stretch of Ubon Ring Road (highway 231).

You will pass Global House on your left after about 3km and then arrive at another set of lights; this is the Sisaket junction. Go straight ahead signed to Yasothon*.

You will go over the Mun River and pass a couple of large Watsadu sheds on your right then the huge ugly edifice of Central Plaza mall, also on your right. Another couple of km and you will hit the next set of lights which is the Yasothon junction. Go straight over, signposted to Amnat and Trakan, i.e. keeping going along the Ring Road.

After another 2km you will come to the next set of lights which is the Amnat junction. Turn right, south, signposted to Ubon (Centre).

Follow my previous instructions going down Chayangkhun. Note Sunnee Plaza and Hotel on your left half way down Chayangkhun

It's a lot easier than I make it sound! Dual carriageway/fast road all the way round this western side of the Ring Road.

*If the roadworks are still closing this Sisaket junction you may have to divert left towards Sisaket and U turn back to turn left again onto the Ring Road to go north

Aerial overview of Ubon marking the Ring Road jul14.pdf

Edited by SantiSuk

Better to ignore LostinIsaans post. Sorry LiIssan, fatal flaw - turning right at the Yasothon turn off the Ring Road does not take you down Chachangoon Road (sic) or any road with a Sunnee Plaza or Tesco Lotus in it.

OP if you do take the ring road route (and it does have the advantage that you will pass and see the Sunnee Plaza Hotel (which would be my recommendation if you want to pay as much as 1,500 baht and get Ubon's besthotel into the bargain) the following is some further directions. If you want to plough straight ahead through Warin (as your post implies) then disregard the following

Assuming that you will arrive into Ubon area on highway 2178 from Kantharalak (rather than following Highway 24 the very long way round through Det Udom) see the attached pdf overview map of the 'Ring Road':

Approaching Ubon you will pass a Big C on your left. After 1k (approx) you will come to your first set of traffic lights. Turn left (west) signed for Sisaket and Yasothon; you are now on the southern stretch of Ubon Ring Road (highway 231).

You will pass Global House on your left after about 3km and then arrive at another set of lights; this is the Sisaket junction. Go straight ahead signed to Yasothon*.

You will go over the Mun River and pass a couple of large Watsadu sheds on your right then the huge ugly edifice of Central Plaza mall, also on your right. Another couple of km and you will hit the next set of lights which is the Yasothon junction. Go straight over, signposted to Amnat and Trakan, i.e. keeping going along the Ring Road.

After another 2km you will come to the next set of lights which is the Amnat junction. Turn right, south, signposted to Ubon (Centre).

Follow my previous instructions going down Chayangkhun. Note Sunnee Plaza and Hotel on your left half way down Chayangkhun

It's a lot easier than I make it sound! Dual carriageway/fast road all the way round this western side of the Ring Road.

*If the roadworks are still closing this Sisaket junction you may have to divert left towards Sisaket and U turn back to turn left again onto the Ring Road to go north

My apologies. Meant Amnat and wrote Yasothon.

Edited by lostinisaan

Wow! So many words to try and find an airport! :)

You said your coming in from the south and need to turn right on Uppalisan Road. That is all you need to do.

When you get to the main intersection with Uppalisan Road there are some big signs with the first one showing สนามบิน (which means airport) and the one below it showing กองบิน 21 (which is talking about the airforce base) You have your wife with you you said, so tell her to look out for those two signs or all you need to do is keep a look out for the number 21. Turn right, drive about 2kms and take your very first left and bobs ya uncle.