Bike Green Book.

I bought a bike sometime back. My partner and seller managed to convince me that a "Green Book" wasn't really necessary, so I handed over my cash. For 2 years I have happily operated the bike freely without hindrance.

However now that laws are being enforced more rigidly, my partner suggest I don't ride to far.

Any advice on how I legally go about obtaining a green book, for a bike that hasn't been stolen?

You ride a bike illegally (in simple western terms).

In your home country this would probabably be treated as a criminal offence.

Your friend does not want you to ride too far to minimize the risk of running into a checkpoint.

Its possible here in the village to do that for years.

But definitely risky in urban areas, highways and so on.

Write that thing off as "learning it the hard way".

Get rid of it ASAP.

• Like 1

Your friend does not want you to ride too far to minimize the risk of running into a checkpoint.

Get rid of it ASAP.

What a pity. I was enjoying the bike.

400cc Yammie Dragstar, Good condition, have know idea of its vintage. Any offers anyone. :-) :-)

That is a pity. The dragstar (known as v-star in USA) is a very nice bike. I had a 650 version. They really do get the vintage look correct with their air cooled engine. And that one was probably imported without papers.

A tip for the op. If it has a plate but you don't have a green book that matches. I personally would take the plate off, because it could be just from a scrap Honda wave or similar. In which case you are committing a fraudulent act which can be very serious!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Get rid of it ASAP.

I do carry two papers under the seat. I'm told its the insurance. The papers are in Thai, so I cant read them. I'm told if stopped, just to hand the papers to the officer and I wont have any problem. However that has now been modified to; "only ride in your own district".

All in, I don't want to act in an unlawful manner, as I don't believe foreigners are protected equally under Thai law. (Although this could change in our favour soon) Such a pity and a very expensive lesson. (Heh! Heh! just when I thought I was smart enough not to get caught)

With the big bikes they were either legally imported as a complete bike where taxes were paid as a complete bike. The other way they were brought in was it used to be that you could import the parts, pay tax and duty on the bike parts, and assemble it from parts. You would have to pay about 36k baht for emissions test...but they don't let you do that anymore.

The reason I am mentioning this is that the only way I can think of getting it legalized is if you find another bike with a green book, and do some cutting and welding with VINS or do new VIN stampings. Yes, Thais know how to do that.

If you have no book and legal registration, you are safer in small villages. Bangkok you'd probably get caught. If caught with bike it would be seized and sold at auction with proceeds of sale going to customs. Your other option would be to buy bike back at auction, and then it would come with book....

Out of curiosity, where are you located? I also have a bike with some green book issues.

Kanthralak is between Ubon and Sisaket.

You could possibly sell it to a Thai who might have less problems with the BIB. Your situation is far from unusual here in Isaan.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app