England Vs Portugal...possible Scenarios

rainman

England 0, Portugal 0 (England wins shoot-out.): Once again, England fails to impress, but a depleted Portugal side has neither the home crowd nor the ref behind them like they did in 2004. No goals, but England finally wins in a penalty shoot-out.

Portugal 1, England 0: Very occasionally, there is justice in this game. Portugal, depleted by injury and refereeing madness, still has enough to slip past the uninspired and uninspiring English side. A good strategy would be to limit Beckham's free-kick opportunities. Without those, the Brits will never score.

Portugal 2, England 1: Even in the absence of Deco and Costinha and (possibly) the injured Cristiano Ronaldo, the surprising Portuguese will prevail over the most lackluster English side to appear in a cup in 24 years.

England 2, Portugal 1: Peter Crouch remains on the bench, but Wayne Rooney causes a headache for the Portuguese defenders, and Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard finally play well together in the middle to propel England to victory over Deco-less Portugal.

..and some other interesting predictions:

Argentina 2, Germany 2 (Argentina wins on penalty kicks): Gaucho flair versus Teutonic rigor. Both sides are fit. Both have fancy footwork. Both can handle pressure. Argentina on penalty kicks after a 120-minute war.

France 3, Brazil 2: Brazil's casual defense finally catches up to them, as Zinedine Zidane and Franck Ribery combine to create numerous chances—and unlike Ghana, the strikers finish them. Claude Makelele and Patrick Vieira are as good as it gets at clamping down on opposing playmakers, and while the Brazilians create some chances, they never really get it going against les Bleus.

Argentina 3, Germany 2: The best match of the quarterfinals features two teams playing as well as any in the tournament. It is a fun game, with chances abound, but Lionel Messi, Argentina's 19-year-old star, scores the winner off the bench.

Italy 4, Ukraine 3: Two appalling teams equals an offensive slug fest. Ugly, but at least exciting.

(disclaimer: i didn't write any of the above myself :o)

You haven't got 3:1 to England, with Wayne Rooney the first scorer and for England to play out of their skin because they never really needed to in the other matches, Rainman...

England 1 portugal 1.. thats my 90 minute prediction... I think it will go to penalties....and WE WLL WIN.... Beckham (he cant miss 2 against Portugal)Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard all score.. Crouchie FLUFFS his..but we win 4-3

PEOPLE I DO NOT WANT TO SEE TAKING PENALTIES

Neville

Ferdinand

Terry

Crouch (HE WILL MISS)

J.Cole

Batty

Southgate

Pearce

Waddle

It all comes flooding back !!!!

I'm beginning to realise why Switzerland is a much visited country for its beautiful mountains, lakes, snow vistas, good plentiful food, banks, watches,clocks, and so on, but the less said about its people the better. :o

how does the above post have anything to do with switzerland?

Neville in, Ronaldo out?

BBC:

Cristiano Ronaldo's chances of playing against England in Saturday's World Cup last-eight game appear slim after he missed a training session on Friday.

The Portugal winger has been receiving treatment on a thigh injury he suffered against Holland.

Frank Lampard will train with the England squad on Friday after recovering from a twisted ankle.

The quarter-final tie will be played under a closed roof at the AufShchalke Arena in Gelsenkirchen.

Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, who has masterminded England's last two exits from major tournaments, must rejig his side because of the Costinha and Deco suspensions.

And he admitted: "We don't know about Ronaldo. We're still awaiting word on his fitness.

"I'll decide if he plays just a couple of hours before the game."

Scolari, who guided Brazil to the 2002 World Cup and Portugal to the Euro 2004 final, may use Simao Sabrosa if Figo is moved from the wing into central midfield.

Scolari added: "All our squad players are special. Those who play in their place are also special players, and we trust them."

Lampard suffered his injury on Thursday during a practice session but should be fit for the quarter-final.

"I've spoken to Frank, he feels fine and he expects to train," a Football Association spokesman said.

If Lampard recovers as expected, he is set to partner Steven Gerrard in the centre of midfield.

Midfielder Michael Carrick will probably lose his place to fit-again Gary Neville.

The return of Neville, who suffered the setback a fortnight ago in the final training session before the group match with Trinidad and Tobago, would be a timely boost.

He first resumed training on Wednesday, and coach Sven-Goran Eriksson will ensure he has not suffered any reaction before including him in the starting line-up.

"I've trained and I'm available for selection," said Neville. "The manager will make the decision and whatever he decides I would go along with even though I am desperate to play."

He is not the REAL Ronaldo anyway.. a pretty average player if you ask me, if he palys or not ENGERLAND will still win

Big Phil will be shaking hands with Steve McLaren after the game whispering "Giss us a job"

I reckon it could go all the way to penalties.. but we will still TRIUMPH

did you no that ronaldinio was called ronaldo untill he had to change his name as not to clash with fat ronaldo.

Why didn't they just rename him Goofy? :D

Wait, that still doesn't solve the problem as they both look like horses. :o

did you no that ronaldinio was called ronaldo untill he had to change his name as not to clash with fat ronaldo.

Wait, that still doesn't solve the problem as they both look like horses. :o

And looks are realy what count when playing football - you are lucky to be sooooo handsome, or you should stop believing the bargirls when they say that to you. You are quite the legend, aren't you, handmome man . . .

QUOTE(lamphun @ 2006-06-30 19:21:26)

Portugal 2 - England 1

England getting a freebie penalty after Rooney dives in the box.

Looking at all the threads I thought the consensus here was that England are the only team that don't dive or are into theatricals???

Lucky England have had an easy draw so far and should dispose of Portugal to meet Brazil - their first real high-class opponent . . . Personally, I'd like to see an England-Germany final just to read all the sour grapes by people like j@rk-off, sorry - that should be jackr - after England loses :D

England should beat the depleted Portuguese, but Brazil or France would be too much.

Wait, that still doesn't solve the problem as they both look like horses. :D

And looks are realy what count when playing football - you are lucky to be sooooo handsome, or you should stop believing the bargirls when they say that to you. You are quite the legend, aren't you, handmome man . . .

QUOTE(lamphun @ 2006-06-30 19:21:26)

Portugal 2 - England 1

England getting a freebie penalty after Rooney dives in the box.

Looking at all the threads I thought the consensus here was that England are the only team that don't dive or are into theatricals???

Lucky England have had an easy draw so far and should dispose of Portugal to meet Brazil - their first real high-class opponent . . . Personally, I'd like to see an England-Germany final just to read all the sour grapes by people like j@rk-off, sorry - that should be jackr - after England loses :D

England should beat the depleted Portuguese, but Brazil or France would be too much.

I have a feeling your continued rhetoric will fall on deaf ears, SS (no pun intended), especially from someone who lies near the bottom of the prediction table, defeated and without any nouse of the game whatsoever. :o:D

I have a feeling your continued rhetoric will fall on deaf ears, SS (no pun intended), especially from someone who lies near the bottom of the prediction table, defeated and without any nouse of the game whatsoever. :o:D

If they fall on deaf ears, then why do you respond? Is your mighty hand free to type some nonsense again? If so, then write on j@erk-off, err jackr. :D

All in the name of god humour, eh? Ah, witty repartee with jackr . . . oh joy, oh joy!

Possible scenarios:

England win. The bandwagon will roll on and the English press will claim that this is the greatest English team since 1966. Award the World Cup to England now! Brazil and Germany. You're having a larf. :D

England lose. Sven will be declared as England's 2nd worst ever manager after Graham Taylor. His selection and tactics will take a hammering and the FA will be heavilly critized for appointing a Swede in the first place.

More than likely if England lose there will have been some contravestial match decision which will be highlighted everyday for the next 6 months. :o

If they fall on deaf ears, then why do you respond? Is your mighty hand free to type some nonsense again? If so, then write on j@erk-off, err jackr. :D

All in the name of god humour, eh? Ah, witty repartee with jackr . . . oh joy, oh joy!

Come on, you 2 lads......you´ve carried over your animosity to one another from another thread and are continuing it here...... this isn´t the place for it...hammer it out via PMs if you need to... but lets get back to the good, clean fun we were having at the beginning of the competition :D

It is, after all, only a game!!!!!!!! :D

Possible scenarios:.

More than likely if England lose there will have been some contravestial match decision which will be highlighted everyday for the next 6 months. :o

this is one of my main concerns,

over the last few cups european and word weve had our fair share of sh++t,

let's hope we get some important decisions our way.

good news for sol, he might not get any perfectly good goals dissallowed this time round, barring injuries of course.

3-1 England , Lmapard finally opens his account and Rooney gets a brace.

Can we organise a Predictions Death Match between JackR and Sing_SLing at the end of this cup?

:D:D:o

...........and which of us gets to finish off the loser??????? :D:D

England lose. Sven will be declared as England's 2nd worst ever manager after Graham Taylor. His selection and tactics will take a hammering and the FA will be heavilly critized for appointing a Swede in the first place.

The tabloids will go berserk and demand Sven step down. To make sure they'll discover he's been bonking one of the secretaries at the FA.

Oh, hang on...