Insurance For Thai Gf Uk Holiday

I can't remember the name of the insurance comapny, maybe AIA, AIS. Anyway, I picked up a leaflet for their services from the Travel Agents in the reception of the Royal Hotel on Ratchadamnoen Avenue.

I think it was in the region of 200 Baht for 3 weeks cover.

Sorry an't be of more help. I will be going there in a couple of days, so will get you more info then if needed?

any info please guys on travel insurance for my thai gf. visiting the uk for one month-thanks again :o

Hi gabriel

In my experience the main reason for buying travel insurance is to protect oneself against life altering exposures. Although loosing a case is an inconvienience that is all it is.

Therefore the main reason to purchase cover is for medical expenses, now bearing in mind your gf is coming to the UK should the need arise she would always be treated free of charge by the NHS.

I would therefore question the need for any coverage. As regards a lost case my own experience (wife) is that Thai girls travel very light and the entire case and contents can be replaced for about 50 quid in MBK!! :D

TBWG :D

any info please guys on travel insurance for my thai gf. visiting the uk for one month-thanks again :o

Hi gabriel

In my experience the main reason for buying travel insurance is to protect oneself against life altering exposures. Although loosing a case is an inconvienience that is all it is.

Therefore the main reason to purchase cover is for medical expenses, now bearing in mind your gf is coming to the UK should the need arise she would always be treated free of charge by the NHS.

I would therefore question the need for any coverage. As regards a lost case my own experience (wife) is that Thai girls travel very light and the entire case and contents can be replaced for about 50 quid in MBK!! :D

cheers guys, did'nt know about free nhs treatment, states on visa "no recourse to public funds" so was not sure :D

ps 50 quid!! i should have married her

Edited by gabriel

[

I

cheers guys, did'nt know about free nhs treatment, states on visa "no recourse to public funds" so was not sure :o

ps 50 quid!! i should have married her

Hi

I think the no recourse to public funds refers to housing benefit, dole money i.e free handouts etc Fairly sure not applicable to NHS, maybe other posters can confirm.

PS If I gave the Boss Lady 50 quid to re equip herself she would still manage to have some left over to save :D

I think the no recourse to public funds refers to housing benefit, dole money i.e free handouts etc Fairly sure not applicable to NHS, maybe other posters can confirm.

I think she would receive emergency treatment free but any follow-up treatment should be be paid for. What happens in practice I don't know.

If she were coming to the UK to settle then she would be entitled to free NHS treatment. However, as she is coming as a visitor then she is not!

From the Department of Health, Are you coming to the United Kingdom on holiday or to visit relatives?

What if I should need hospital treatment?

Under the current Regulations, anyone who comes to the UK on holiday or for a short term visit will have to pay for any NHS hospital treatment they may need while they are here, unless they meet the criteria for one of the exemptions from charges. This includes people coming to visit relatives who are ordinarily resident in the UK. Their entitlement to free treatment does not extend to you, even if you are going to be staying with them for several weeks or months. If you think you will have to pay for treatment, you are strongly advised to take out health insurance before you travel.

Of course, if she were lying bleeding in the street the ambulance isn't going to leave her there if she can't pay (this isn't America :o ), and she would receive any emergency treatment without charge, but any follow up treatment or stay in hospital would be charged for.
Do I have to pay for emergency treatment if I have an accident?

Regardless of residential status or nationality, emergency treatment given at Primary Care Practices (a GP) or in Accident and Emergency departments or a Walk-in Centre providing services similar to those of a hospital Accident and Emergency department is free of charge.

In the case of treatment given in an Accident and Emergency department or Walk-in Centre the exemption from charges will cease to apply once the patient is formally admitted as an in-patient (this will include emergency operations and admittance to High Dependency Units) or registered at an outpatient clinic.

Get insurance.

If she were coming to the UK to settle then she would be entitled to free NHS treatment. However, as she is coming as a visitor then she is not!

From the Department of Health, Are you coming to the United Kingdom on holiday or to visit relatives?

What if I should need hospital treatment?

Under the current Regulations, anyone who comes to the UK on holiday or for a short term visit will have to pay for any NHS hospital treatment they may need while they are here, unless they meet the criteria for one of the exemptions from charges. This includes people coming to visit relatives who are ordinarily resident in the UK. Their entitlement to free treatment does not extend to you, even if you are going to be staying with them for several weeks or months. If you think you will have to pay for treatment, you are strongly advised to take out health insurance before you travel.

Of course, if she were lying bleeding in the street the ambulance isn't going to leave her there if she can't pay (this isn't America :o ), and she would receive any emergency treatment without charge, but any follow up treatment or stay in hospital would be charged for.
Do I have to pay for emergency treatment if I have an accident?

Regardless of residential status or nationality, emergency treatment given at Primary Care Practices (a GP) or in Accident and Emergency departments or a Walk-in Centre providing services similar to those of a hospital Accident and Emergency department is free of charge.

In the case of treatment given in an Accident and Emergency department or Walk-in Centre the exemption from charges will cease to apply once the patient is formally admitted as an in-patient (this will include emergency operations and admittance to High Dependency Units) or registered at an outpatient clinic.

Get insurance.

Hi, I can confirm that if you need to visit a GP you have to pay.My wife had numerous HURT'S on our last visit to the UK,it cost £25 a time to see a nurse.at our local practice.Soon mounts up...

I took out a yearly policy for my GF before she visited the UK because we also travelled to Spain and France.It will also cover for any travel outside Thailand as we are going to Vietnam next month.Ther cost of the policy was about 6000 baht but I think better to cover anything unexpected,GET INSURANCE.

• 4 weeks later...