New visa policies - a messiah or just a mess?

What do you think of the overall situation now in view of the plethora of dictums form immigration and their colleagues?

To me it looks like none of these measures aren't based on any seriously considered evidence and could be the result of knee-jerk thinking my "newbies" put in charge by the government.

I may be jumping the gun here, but I have serious doubts about immigration's ability to implement these new measures in an equitable manner and also seriously doubt if they are actually going to address any issues......in fact I doubt if they have even accurately identifies any issues that need addressing.

I await with interest, firstly to see what happens on August the 12th - the end of a long week-end and then in the subsequent few months to see how it changes the behaviour or numbers of long term visitors to the country or number of people working here illegally. (How do they get those figures anyway?)

If you want to separate fact from rumor/fiction (I know no one does but I thought I'd ask) why don't you list the plethora of dictum's from the immigration department or the Ministry of the Interior who controls the immigration department.

If, on the other hand, one just wants to carry on trying to scare people into getting visas or visa advice, carry on with the same vague rumors from down South or various one off experiences.

• Like 2

What knee jerk reaction? What happened that caused this reaction?

The changes that are happening were all ready in place prior to the "newbies" as you put it.

I'm sure any long term resident here knows these changes have been on the radar for a long time. For years

immigration has been telling people that want to stay long term to get the right visa. They have tried some less

restrictive measures in the past but all failed for one reason or the other. Immigration needs to clean things up.

Most over-stayers are either on the run, working illegally or just don't care.

The sad thing is this is going to hurt some people that are under 50, not married to a Thai or have no kids and are

able to live off investments with no need to work. It will in the beginning hurt teachers that are working here that

their employer play games and refuse to get them the paper work needed to get a B visa and work permit. However I believe

in time these companies will have no choice but to do the right thing or close.

I do feel bad for the guys under 50 and the teachers, however I think this is something that has been needed for a long time.

There is a big problem with illegally workers and some people that are criminals in hiding.

Edited by ericthai
  • Like 2

Ultimately it's like this. Anytime you offer visas (or visa free entry) to anyone, there is a chance that some of the people you offer visas to may break the law after they enter the country. That's not something you can stop. Thailand thinks it can, not by police doing their job but by changing and re working it's visa laws, stop all the bad people and just let in only the good people. Simplistic thinking by a simple people.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1