Problem With Landlord

JackJD

I have been living in a condo 1 BR apt for 1.5 years, under a written lease that I wrote. (I was a U.S. lawyer for 28 years) The lease auto-renewed for 1 year at the one year term. I also paid a 9000 bt security deposit upon signing. The landlord is an older bar girl who convinced her Norwegian boyfriend to buy 2 units - one for her to live in and the other to rent. She has told me conflicting stories, but I am guessing he stopped making payments on these 2 units and the condo promoter is hounding her to pay or leave. That is just a guess.

I recently paid the 9000 bt monthly rent due July 18. I am paid until August 17. 2 days ago she told me I had to leave by Aug 1. No written notice. No believable reason. No mention of the fact I am paid until August 17 or about the deposit return.

Today I saw her in the hallway and she started screaming that I had to leave. She had a female Thai person with her who also started screaming that SHE needed t move in NOW and that I had to leave. I am dealing now with a couple of burned-out bar girls who tell so many lies, they cannot remember what is actually true! I told the 2 loons that, if I immediately receive 20,000 bt, I will leave right away. No reply was made. I then offered t leave on Sept 1 and she can keep the deposit. No answer yet on that one.

QUESTIONS:

(1) Do the local police have authority to physically move me out, based upon the above facts? (She threatened that.)

(2) In my situation, does Thai law REQUIRE written notice to terminate a written lease?

(3) As I said above, because I have no hope of a voluntary deposit return, I would like to stay here until Sept 1. The extra 12 days would be a partial refund of my deposit.

(4) Any other legal or practical thoughts ANYONE may have about this situation will be appreciated!

• Like 1

If the contracts are not in Thai then get them translated by a notary public, included your sign off amendments, (happy to recommend one) and in the very unlikely event of the rozzers showing up just show them the translated copy. After that maybe it's time to get out of Dodge, these nutters can be unpredictable.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

tell them about your Aunt May and her dog called Trixie. Compliment them on their nice dress sense.

Why does this make me think of " My Aunt, who I lived with, had a parrot...."

SDM

PS www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTv5ckMe_2M&sns=em

Edited by SDM0712

If the contracts are not in Thai then get them translated by a notary public, included your sign off amendments, (happy to recommend one) and in the very unlikely event of the rozzers showing up just show them the translated copy. After that maybe it's time to get out of Dodge, these nutters can be unpredictable.

SDM

How much will that cost ,more than 12 days rent?

• Like 1

Even if the condo has been sold you are still a sitting tenant up to the one year renewal, so just sit tight. Someone may have bought the condo to rent and would be happy to have a tenant. The contract doesn't need to be in Thai for it to be legal. The girls are responsible for all unpaid bills.

"She has told me conflicting stories, but I am guessing he stopped making payments on these 2 units and the condo promoter is hounding her to pay or leave. That is just a guess. "

The developer would be unlikely to allow the chanote to be issued/transferred in the first place unless all sums due to it were paid.

And as a paying tenant you would appear to be something that most landlords with money problems would be keen to retain.

So I suspect there is some other reason for you being hounded to leave.

• Like 1

SDM

How much will that cost ,more than 12 days rent?

No idea. I doubt it though, probably charged on an hourly rate. But if the contract is not in Thai and there's no official translation, it is useless.

SDM

• Like 1

The contract doesn't need to be in Thai for it to be legal.

This is correct, but it needs to be translated by a Court approved Notary Public or similar to be admissible in Court, and unless it's in Thai the Police won't understand it, in the very unlikely event they show up.

SDM

• Like 1

THANKS for all the great thoughts! I think I'll plan to get out August 17 and just avoid unpredictable lunacy. What MAY have prompted all this was this: Last week the air conditioner started malfunctioning. The bill was 1000 bt and under the lease SHE has to pay for any repair in excess of 300 bt. She wanted me to pay half, which I of course refused. Something like that could set a lunatic off!

Up until last week I always had a friendly relationship with her. I have paid the rent 5 to 10 days early every month. The place was filthy whn I moved in and now it looks new. I never make noise or bother anyone. I try to be an ideal tenant. I've been a landlord and had to suffer dirty, loud tenants.

As far as complaining to the management here in this small condo (Beach & Mountain 2) there is NONE. Owners here constantly complain about problems. Nothing ever gets done. 6 days a week there is one "receptionist" but they do nothing but play on their computers all day. They are merely a shield between the risidents and the lady Thai doctor who developes several condos.

THANKS again for all your thoughts, recommendations and ideas. They are all well appreciated! After living here 10 years I know it is not what a paper says so much as what really happens in a situation.

• Like 1

As far as complaining to the management here in this small condo (Beach & Mountain 2) there is NONE. Owners here constantly complain about problems. Nothing ever gets done. 6 days a week there is one "receptionist" but they do nothing but play on their computers all day. They are merely a shield between the risidents and the lady Thai doctor who developes several condos.

Fair enough. The front office staff in my building are efficient and on the rare occasions when I have wanted them to help with something they have done so quite promptly and mostly with very good grace.

All I can tell you is my experience.

Landlord refused to return a 50k deposit on a 25k/month rental.

I stayed.

He called the cops. I politely refused to speak with them, nor would I show them my passport. They smiled and left.

Then he called immigration (you know, we're Thais and that farang blah, blah, blah). They told him something along the lines, ha, ha, ha.

So then he cut power. (Which is illegal.)

I bought candles, a chest of ice everyday, and ordered the big bottles of water delivered, and camped out. Reading by candle light is quite relaxing.

Exactly two months later, after all his (truly) beautiful lawn had died, in the dry season from no pump to water it, I left.

But I had three big dogs in a walled-in compound in a quiet area. You have two old bar girls banging on your door.

All I can tell you is my experience.

Landlord refused to return a 50k deposit on a 25k/month rental.

I stayed.

He called the cops. I politely refused to speak with them, nor would I show them my passport. They smiled and left.

Then he called immigration (you know, we're Thais and that farang blah, blah, blah). They told him something along the lines, ha, ha, ha.

So then he cut power. (Which is illegal.)

I bought candles, a chest of ice everyday, and ordered the big bottles of water delivered, and camped out. Reading by candle light is quite relaxing.

Exactly two months later, after all his (truly) beautiful lawn had died, in the dry season from no pump to water it, I left.

But I had three big dogs in a walled-in compound in a quiet area. You have two old bar girls banging on your door.

You have two old bar girls banging on your door.

Maybe I have a really twisted mind, but I cannot help but chuckle so much at this part of your reply. Thanks for a great laugh w00t.giflaugh.png

• Like 1

GOOD NEWS BOYS!

Her ATM machine guy from Holland just called and told me it was OK to stay until Sept 1 -- PLUS he would give me any part of the deposit not used. He told me not to talk to her again about anything. I told him he has NO worry about that!

I also told him he should have her checked for HIV the first thing when he comes back. I think he got the picture. And it just might save his life, considering all the sex she has with Thai guys -- easily heard through the wall!

I have his phone number and he told me to call him with any further issues. CASE CLOSED - with a happy ending!

• Like 2