Bangkok prepares for monsoon floods

webfact

Bangkok prepares for monsoon floods
By Digital Content

14059048286559.jpg

BANGKOK, July 21 -- Water drainage as well as garbage collection have been completed in more than 70 per cent of the total area in the Thai capital out of concern for possible flooding during the current monsoon season, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) officials said Sunday.

More than 600 BMA workers and housing estate residents in Bangkok’s Thawi Watthana district joined together to collect garbage and draining a canal connecting with Thawi Watthana canal, a key Bangkok drainage conduit, in an attempt to allow rainwater to enter the canal easily.

BMA Deputy Permanent Secretary Sanya Chinimit said Sunday’s work was carried out under the BMA’s plan to prevent flooding in Bangkok and outlying areas.

Thawi Watthana Canal connects Bangkok with Nakhon Pathom and Samut Sakhon provinces and residents living near the canal suffered tremendously during the major flooding in late 2011.

Mr Sanya said people living in all nine districts in Thon Buri side should help clear waterways and drainage canals.

As the monsoon season has just started, Mr Sanya said the amount of rain volume is still uncertain because more storms could enter Thailand later this year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-07-21

• Like 1

Since when "prepare" is part of Thai vocabulary and Culture? cheesy.gif

Why you so negative? Is your home country so perfect?

Negativity about this cointry seems to be a common trait with some TV posters

We let the positive about this "cointry" for the Thais ans the newbee.

It would take at least 10 years to fix many of the structural flood control issues (at great cost). Many countries react vs pro-actively deal with these types of issues (New Orleans is an example), it is not just a Thai problem. Politicians often defer these types of problems - and hope that they are not tested because most make political calculations and avoid the necessary investment.

Wait a second!

There was supposed to not be any floods this season, according to the previous PM.

Posted on TV earlier this year.

:cheesy: Never fails. Every monsoon season some jokers come out with same sort of dumb crack. Invariably a mischaracterization or something out of context.

Freudian slip, or too much of the coin tree bark trait? sorry.gif

Some time the truth hurts!

But why make headlines out of something that SHOULD BE so commonplace? Just saying.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Edit: Added quote

Edited by lvr181

You don't understand! To guys like this, not being "prepared" means that the Thais do not anticipate his every trivial need and kiss his wrinkled butt on demand. ;)

It's been in their "vocabulary" for a very long time, the problem is many don't know what it means, goes the same for the over use of the term "transparent."

The other problem is they don't really know how to "prepare", they do run around doing something, but not actually achieving what they set out to do.

Edited by Rorri
  • Like 2

Its a bloody joke, The article says "Sundays work" will help to save Bangkok, what about the rest of the year.

Furthermore the article states should ensure that the "people" living in the nine districts of Thon Buri should help to clear drainage canals and waterways !! Thats the job of the municipality. What the hell is next , will we have to generate our own electricity.

Wait a second!

There was supposed to not be any floods this season, according to the previous PM.

Posted on TV earlier this year.

[/quote

Can't blame her she's not there any more.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Half full or half empty?

It would be so much nicer if you would have said something like: Great to see the city is preparing for the floods....

That's the problem. "Much nicer" is not a part of the nature or culture of certain people.

They also don't realize how much they say about themselves when they rush in to do some puerile Thai bashing.

The term "prepare" seems to me to be the kind of thing you would associate with naval, aviation and military training or military supervision. Other unfamiliar terms we might have to learn to watch out for include; tactical, strategic, pre-emptive or the very un-thai, "preventitive maintainence". LOL Go General. Someone thinks you are watching them and does NOT want to be caught with trousers down.

It's a bit like the D Day for controlling traffic and street vendors... On Friday things were good and by Saturday things were down the drain again. Well they did it for one day at least.

Edited by Local Drunk

If the canal over flows its bank I just hope that people won't be walking in this dirty water in there sandals, rats swim very well and carry decease. Let us hope that people learned from the floods in 2011. And what about the raw sewage that runs parallel to the fresh water, can you just imagine that over flowing? Wouldn't it be Great if they could put that raw sewage in a pipe under ground like other civilized countries, then we would not have to smell them on a daily basis.

The term "prepare" seems to me to be the kind of thing you would associate with naval, aviation and military training or military supervision. Other unfamiliar terms we might have to learn to watch out for include; tactical, strategic, pre-emptive or the very un-thai, "preventitive maintainence". LOL Go General. Someone thinks you are watching them and does NOT want to be caught with trousers down.

Seriously they majority of them are incapable of any sort of abstract thought.

It would be interesting to see if there is an equivalent to TV in your country and to see what the ex pats there are saying about the locals. I hope for your sake one of your Thai friends will not read what your opinion of Thai people is here on TV. If you don't have something good to say then........as my Dear Mum would say.

It would be interesting to see if there is an equivalent to TV in your country and to see what the ex pats there are saying about the locals. I hope for your sake one of your Thai friends will not read what your opinion of Thai people is here on TV. If you don't have something good to say then........as my Dear Mum would say.

I seriously doubt that your "dear mum" ever lived in Thailand or California therefore her opinion is worthless.

It would take at least 10 years to fix many of the structural flood control issues (at great cost). Many countries react vs pro-actively deal with these types of issues (New Orleans is an example), it is not just a Thai problem. Politicians often defer these types of problems - and hope that they are not tested because most make political calculations and avoid the necessary investment.

Are ye saying New Orleans was a proactive or reactive situation? I heard it to be a very clever Republican proactive plot. Why says you? Because, who else would build a city 3 meters below sea level in a hurricane zone and then fill the city with Democrats? Just bouncing ideas around. oc

Yeah ok whatever. What's the point.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK... Simply put, my experienced observation is that they wait to be told what to do and haven't the initiative to take things under control or make decisions for themselves.

Despite having parts of the city up to 18' below sea level, New Orleans has one of the most efficient/effective drainage systems in the world. New Orleans has downpours equivalent to those in Bangkok and never a flooded street from rain nor from the Mississippi River. Had it not been for a levee collapsing (Federal Government responsibility), the city would not have had even one neighborhood flood during Hurricane Katrina. When the levee broke, no drainage system could have kept up with Lake Ponchartrain emptying into the city. Engineers from all over the world have studied the New Orleans model of canals and pumping stations to replicate that in other places. New Orleans was a poor/inaccurate example of a country not being pro-active.

We let the positive about this "cointry" for the Thais ans the newbee.

Wouldn't call myself a "newbee" after living here for 9 years