Motorcycle Taxi Jacket

RareDingo

Hi all,

was looking for some information regarding the purchase of a motorcycle taxi jacket. My GF has a brother who is finding a good job hard to come by. I would like to ask a few questions please:

1: How much does it cost to purchase a "legal" jacket?

2. Where do I purchase it from?

3 Does a Jacket in Bangkok cost more than buying a Jacket in Kohn Kaen?

4. New motorcycle cost

5. Second hand motorcycle cost

His family lives in Kohn Kaen so I'm thinking he could stay with his parents until he gets enough money together for his own place to rent.

TIA for the advice smile.png

Thailand has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world. There is no shortage of jobs for people who wish to work.

The is an oversupply of lazy especially male's quite happy sitting on their arse waiting for a hand out.

That said, buying a new bike is about 40 to 50k. Second hand anything below that depending on age and condition. Expect to pay 15 to 20 for something decent.

Sorry no idea about the jackets.

Edited by Pomthai
  • Like 1

The Government just requested all M/C taxis to register themselves. He'd have to do that first and it has always been a sort of mafia biz. He couldn't just pitch up shop on any corner he felt like without paying his dues. That's where the jacket comes from.

Just tell him to rent a taxi then he's going to make more money and you don't need to buy a bike.

Thanks for that reply, so you are saying that he could rent a taxi, and make good money in BK? If this is an option I'll will tell the Mrs I'd still love to know what a jacket costs and where to buy one if possible

Thanks for that reply, so you are saying that he could rent a taxi, and make good money in BK? If this is an option I'll will tell the Mrs I'd still love to know what a jacket costs and where to buy one if possible

I don't know how much a jacket costs he will have to talk to the M/C taxi mafia. They pay a % of their money every month to an influential person in return for protection. M/C taxis also supplement their income with nefarious activities.

Renting a taxi is the best option.

I don't know how much a jacket costs he will have to talk to the M/C taxi mafia. They pay a % of their money every month to an influential person in return for protection. M/C taxis also supplement their income with nefarious activities.

Renting a taxi is the best option.

He wont be buying a jacket, for the following reasons, they are very rarely for sale (they provide a good ROI) and if they are for sale they can cost tens of thousands of baht depending on location.

Most of them are rented monthly.

Your gf will explain how the patronage system in Thailand works, he wont be rocking up and taking a slot, its almost a closed shop, family and friends only.

Don't try to find your "unemployed" girlfriend's "brother" a job. The fact that you even innocently asked this question means you don't have the first idea.

Don't take it personally. I am not criticising you. Just follow the advice and don't try to "help". It will only cost you money on which you will see no return and no good whatsoever will come of it.

I take nothing personally, the only dumb question in life is "the one you don't ask" I have been lurking here for a while, whilst there are trolls here "don't take it personally" there are plenty of informative posts as well, one just has to sift through the crap. I am reasonably informed about the mafia and other intricacies with the "taxi employment situation" I'm hoping someone may have done this before and come back with some "more than useful" info

Thanks to every one for taking the time to reply and I am sincere, thank you. I want to try to find this poor guy a job, there's a reason he is struggling, (bad decison when he was younger, like all young kids got mixed up with the wrong people) and I'd like to help him out. I could give him a small amount of money every month, but its about independence, I'm no religious nutter but you know, give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach him how to fish, yadda yadda yadda....

• Like 2

Don't try to find your "unemployed" girlfriend's "brother" a job. The fact that you even innocently asked this question means you don't have the first idea.

Don't take it personally. I am not criticising you. Just follow the advice and don't try to "help". It will only cost you money on which you will see no return and no good whatsoever will come of it.

I want to try to find this poor guy a job, there's a reason he is struggling, (bad decison when he was younger, like all young kids got mixed up with the wrong people) and I'd like to help him out. I could give him a small amount of money every month, but its about independence, I'm no religious nutter but you know, give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach him how to fish, yadda yadda yadda....

Sounds more like you want to buy the man a fishing boat and expect him to want to fish. If someone really wants to work in Thailand they can, regardless of their history. It just takes a little effort, also known as work. His past is just an excuse. If you set him up in something there will just be more excuses why it didn't work out.

If he has enough ambition to figure something out for himself and he just needs a little capital to get started (definitely less than 20000 baht) then help if you want but don't go researching opportunities for him. If he isn't motivated enough to check into things himself you are just wasting your time. If you have an idea, mention it to him. If he doesn't look into what it would take he wouldn't follow through with it if you put the effort in anyway.

I totally agree with Briggsy. Nothing good will come of you looking for something he can do. You might want to rethink why it is that you feel you are better equipped to investigate possibilities for him than he is. Give him ideas if you want but he needs to put the effort in.

• Like 1

^^^^^,

forget about buying the boat, if you buy it you will then be expected to pay for the fuel and the crews wages.

This guy doesnt work because he doesnt want to.

Plenty of jobs available all over Bkk, if I as a dumb farang can read the adverts so can this guy.

Last one I read was on the back of a FarmHouse delivery truck, drivers wanted, starting salary 15k per month.

I would ignore this, and if the gf starts hassling me she would be history.

This is an insight of what you will be expected to support if you continue long term with this girl and marry her.

Be thankful, its more of an insight than most get.

There are plenty if jobs around, there are always jobs for those that want to work, particularly in the more developed tourist areas. However, many are just bone idle and want other members of the family to support them.

Lots of people move out of KK for work. He doesn't necessarily need to go to Bangkok either.

i read somewhere there are in bangkok something 200.000 lazy useless taxi motosai.

Actually i was surprised there were not 67 millions.... maybe lack of farangs sponsor to buy them all a jacket.

Dingo you seem pretty set on the path of helping others, well as others have said that WILL be, not can be, an expensive biz. If your GF is pressurizing you to help just tell her that it would affect your and the other person's kharma (Dharma in Thai) and you would both suffer. It is up to each individual to make their own way in the World.

Looks like he never finished school by deciding to hang out with the wrong crowd and probably got busted for drugs. This severely limits his job options. Maybe you could get him into the Military with a small contribution. Otherwise he's going to be hanging off your tit forever together with his GF who he will probably get pregnant very soon.

Tough Love is true love.