THB stronger over the last 24 hours?

whistling.gif Yes, the normal thing.

Investors coming back into Thailand now that the coup seems to have given more stability to Thailand.

Money from foriegn investors starting to flow back into Thailand.

They need Baht for their short term investments, and as the demand for Baht increases the Baht rate versus the dollar gets stronger (and probablyother currencies also).

It's the old law of "supply and demand".

A normal exchange rate fluctuation.

I'm guessing that GBP is subdued because of the BOE minutes, still no sign of a vote for a rate increase although the tone of the debate is becoming more hawkish, some commentators even suggesting a rate increase might come this year. I suppose that when that rate increase does come, GBP growth will cancel out THB growth (in the short term), it all depends on timings as to what level the pair will settle at.

whistling.gif Yes, the normal thing.

Investors coming back into Thailand now that the coup seems to have given more stability to Thailand.

Money from foriegn investors starting to flow back into Thailand.

They need Baht for their short term investments, and as the demand for Baht increases the Baht rate versus the dollar gets stronger (and probablyother currencies also).

It's the old law of "supply and demand".

A normal exchange rate fluctuation.

Maybe a normal exchange rate fluctuation. But how normal was the exchange rate before the FDI ?

A fair point. I suppose a person could argue that FDI is the new norm, alternatively it might be argued that if interest rates in the West were at their long term average, there would be very little FDI. I think I'll put my money on the fact that debt levels in Thailand are far lower than in the West hence FDI is the new paragdim.

I don;t have much regard for the IMF and the bird in charge ,only last year they were telling Cameron that his austerity measures would destroy Britain only to have to eat their words and just upgrade our outlook for the second time , they are like me ,just take an informed guess ,sometimes right sometimes wrong

A fair point. I suppose a person could argue that FDI is the new norm, alternatively it might be argued that if interest rates in the West were at their long term average, there would be very little FDI. I think I'll put my money on the fact that debt levels in Thailand are far lower than in the West hence FDI is the new paragdim.

Right - But what I was actually questioning was the baht's exchange rate before the FDI. Was the baht overvalued before ?. Right again on interest rates in U.S. and FDI.

In the big picture in my opinion it was Bush's deregulation in favor of the financial sector and that hack Greenspan lowering interest rates that have the baht/dollar exchange rate where it is today.

Right - But what I was actually questioning was the baht's exchange rate before the FDI. Was the baht overvalued before ?. Right again on interest rates in U.S. and FDI.

In the big picture in my opinion it was Bush's deregulation in favor of the financial sector and that hack Greenspan lowering interest rates that have the baht/dollar exchange rate where it is today.

The big question surrounding the Baht has always been, what is fair value against USD. It's clear that its value has been distorted since the Fed's QE program started and since we don't know the extent of FDI prior to that program, it's difficult to understand where any base line might lay. And since countries can attract FDI almost at will, the value of any currency is unlikely to reflect the underlying strength of its economy.

Case in point, BOT issued USD 2 billion of bonds last week and they were all snapped up by overseas institutional investors in less than twenty minutes, a yield of 4%+ on offer! The impact of that venture strengthened THB since by nearly two baht. Ditto the UK where FDI has pushed the Pound to almost harmful levels, that value is no way reflects accurately the state of the UK economy. So in this globalized low interest rate age, FDI can be a game changer when it comes to exchange rates, trying to figure out what the values should be without any is an almost impossible task any more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10998738/Pound-overvalued-What-does-the-Big-Mac-Index-say.html

How can this be, there's some bloke over in the Financial Crisis thread who swears USD/THB is headed towards 40 or even 50, surely he can't be mistaken. blink.pnggiggle.gif

sounds like the same guy who said about 1 year ago that the GBP would remain weak... It was at 44 then and now its 54.. <snip>

Edited by soundman
No personal attacks thanks.
  • Like 1

It's the first of the month, a big day for economic numbers out of the US. Unfortunately, as a result of the time difference, it'll be too late to do anything here by the time they are released!

Hint 1: One member of the Fed thinks a rate increase is due.

Hint 2: GBP may be overvalued.

Place your bets now! Forward looking only, hindsight plays no role whatsoever.

Seems to be weakening a bit today wonder why

Military Junta is buying baht, that's all there is to it.

Desperately trying to stop the rot, but the moment they stop buying, baht starts dropping.

It's a slippery slop that only slides in one direction.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Desperately trying to stop the rot, but the moment they stop buying, baht starts dropping.

laugh.png

And this children is why you should always say no to drugs. whistling.gif

PS: Post 43 did warn in advance.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The big question surrounding the Baht has always been, what is fair value against USD. It's clear that its value has been distorted since the Fed's QE program started and since we don't know the extent of FDI prior to that program, it's difficult to understand where any base line might lay. And since countries can attract FDI almost at will, the value of any currency is unlikely to reflect the underlying strength of its economy.

Case in point, BOT issued USD 2 billion of bonds last week and they were all snapped up by overseas institutional investors in less than twenty minutes, a yield of 4%+ on offer! The impact of that venture strengthened THB since by nearly two baht. Ditto the UK where FDI has pushed the Pound to almost harmful levels, that value is no way reflects accurately the state of the UK economy. So in this globalized low interest rate age, FDI can be a game changer when it comes to exchange rates, trying to figure out what the values should be without any is an almost impossible task any more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10998738/Pound-overvalued-What-does-the-Big-Mac-Index-say.html

The Bhat has been strengthened by the increase of foreign investment in the manufacturing industry partially due to cheap liquidity caused by QE, that investment is starting to tail off now. The market was anticipating rate rises from the UK and US but that's been curtailed by a dovish Yellen and the BOE's Mark Carney basically put paid to the idea of a rate rise this year from the UK today which accounts for the drop off in the pound.

But then UK inflation comes in far lower than expected, it's all trade offs. Either way, THB strengthens.

52.72 at Thanachart for a TT.

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11042766/UK-inflation-drops-sharply-to-1.6pc-in-July-pound-falls.html

Edited by chiang mai

But then UK inflation comes in far lower than expected, it's all trade offs. Either way, THB strengthens.

52.72 at Thanachart for a TT.

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11042766/UK-inflation-drops-sharply-to-1.6pc-in-July-pound-falls.html

yesterday morning scb,bkkb, 52.96 TT 8.30am today scb,52.73,bkkb,52.66.sad.png