Chinese City Gives Lessons On How to Behave Abroad

mesquite

Maybe there's hope for Chiang Mai.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014/07/21/no-harassing-animals-in-public-chinese-city-gives-lessons-on-how-to-behave-abroad/

"Shenzhen residents are told in campaign literature not to cut in line, use cell phones in theaters, pretend they don’t know what a tip is..."

"Other behavioral practices that can offend foreigners, such as public spitting..."

Edited by mesquite

The lessons aren't working...

At lunch today we were treated to the conversation between several members of a group of Chinese visitors... each standing in different locations around the restaurant seating area, which of course required that they shout to each other, usually all at the same time. One woman was standing just behind me...

I spoke to her about it: Boo how YEE si! I guess it was the correct thing to say, as she turned bright red and moved away quickly.

I only found this: "Keep in mind that不好意思 (bu hao yi si) has a lot of meanings."

So what does it mean in the context in which you were using it?

At lunch today we were treated to the conversation between several members of a group of Chinese visitors... each standing in different locations around the restaurant seating area, which of course required that they shout to each other, usually all at the same time. One woman was standing just behind me...

I spoke to her about it: Boo how YEE si! I guess it was the correct thing to say, as she turned bright red and moved away quickly.

I only found this: "Keep in mind that不好意思 (bu hao yi si) has a lot of meanings."

I was told by a Chinese speaker that when said with an attitude, it meant just about anything you wanted it to mean. If people were blocking a sidewalk it would mean 'get the hell out of the way NOW!' If someone were cutting in at the front of a line it would mean 'do NOT even think of doing this...!' And in the situation I used it, I'm assuming the woman took it to mean 'stop screaming in my ear and move away from me NOW!' 'cuz that's just what she did!

Of course, it's entirely possible that it means 'I'm a psychotic ax murderer. Will you be my friend?' I really don't know as I don't speak Mandarin.

OK, so if it ISN'T that, can anyone tell me how to say that? I need to know!

I was told by a Chinese speaker that when said with an attitude, it meant just about anything you wanted it to mean. If people were blocking a sidewalk it would mean 'get the hell out of the way NOW!' If someone were cutting in at the front of a line it would mean 'do NOT even think of doing this...!' And in the situation I used it, I'm assuming the woman took it to mean 'stop screaming in my ear and move away from me NOW!' 'cuz that's just what she did!

Of course, it's entirely possible that it means 'I'm a psychotic ax murderer. Will you be my friend?' I really don't know as I don't speak Mandarin.

OK, so if it ISN'T that, can anyone tell me how to say that? I need to know!

Boo how YEE si! The 'yee' is stressed, with a falling tone. The last word is pronounced like the word 'sir' with the 'r' sound clipped off.

• Like 1

Don't knock`em they probably account for 60/70% of Thailands tourist economy.

P1$$ them off and we are all in queer street!

What mean "we" kimosabe?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I want to add to the lessons to mainlanders..

*If checking out of your hotel at 6AM please consider the effect on other guest who are still sleeping.

Loud Mandarin caterwauling in the hallways banging on doors for 15 minutes is unnecessary and disturbing.

*Instead of continuing a loud conversation with your buddy 4 seats away on the entire CNX-BKK flight for 55 minutes please ask somebody

to change seats. (I drown it out with headphones).

And for my fellow Yanks..

*Whilst riding a lift could you please consider suspending your loud conversations for 15 seconds?

I could go on with the general loudness in public, restos, inconsiderate mobile usage, etc., but it won't change.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

Ah, more bashing the Chinese tourists! I suppose it is their turn. Their turn?

Well, Americans have been considered brash and uncivilized barbarians in many places for many, many decades. The English who are self-appointed as the world's arbitors of public behavior unfortunately have become known for brawling at football matches internationally and drunken beach parties wherever there are beaches served by cheap flights out of Manchester, et cetra. The Aussies have been known to break into song if not rowdy loudness and getting stupidly drunk. The Germans have had their turn being considered obnoxious abroad. The Israeili backpackers have joined them. The Russians, of late, and other former USSR citizens? They seem to have exported a lot of tall blonde dancers to Pattaya as well as other more unseemly sorts. Have I left anyone out? This is not a mosh pit of prejudice, nor do I invite one. Just making a point.

Now, there is a new wave of Chinese tourists who finally have the freedom and the monsy to travel. In Chiang Mai, made famous by the silly slapstick movie Lost in Thailand, we have seen a large influx of newcomers. In my personal experience, I have not had any of the untoward experiences related above and by others who practice ethnic bashing. I have honestly been impressed by the well-dressed couples, youngish threesomes (many lovely young women), and some families with children (Actually, the distasteful conduct I have observed in town over the years has been farang. I am sure that there are others.

Now, I do not condone spitting on pavements (yukky!) nor loud chitchat in airplanes, restaurants and hotels. And, on behalf of CMU, it is unfortunate that some visitors did not understand how to tour a campus appropriately, from which, incidentally, CMU's future enrollment in its international programs will probably eventually soar. Now, if I were to encounter such behavior, I really wouldn't just tell them to "<removed> off," which basically occurred in the situation discussed above. There are ways to discourage intrusive behavior that are considerably more couth by people who consider themselves more couth.

One concern remains: The bicycle riders and pedestrians! It is not just the Chinese pedaling and wandering about town. I really fear for them, just as I used to fear for oblivious Japanese tourists with their Nikons getting the best shot years ago! Also remember, on their behalf, that Chinese drive on the right, not on the left, and may look the wrong way in traffic, just as visitors do in London where it can also be very scary for foreigners crossing the road !!

Lighten up!wai2.gif

• Like 1

Just shout louder than them if you have farang lungs.

Give it the old "ching chong woi ha bla bla bla number 62, number 62 are you deaf, with fried rice aswell and some wontons"

Scream if need be, most people fear a sociopath.

• Like 1

When calling the lift to go down press the "down" button. The "up" button is not for calling the lift up. Pressing both, the up and down buttons, or pressing them several times doesn't increase the speed at which the lift is delivered to your floor.

• Like 2

Don't knock`em they probably account for 60/70% of Thailands tourist economy.

probably closer to the 70% mark and soon there will be many more of them here so business should be fine for you.wink.png as of 1 August they will receive free visas for 3 months to celebrate 40 years of good relations between China and Thailand. Prayuth mentioned this in his address to the nation the other night. Chinese will be the only tourists who will get the free visas during the upcoming high season. so one can see how valuable to the tourist economy they are.

"Bu hao yisuh" (or however you Romanize it) means "embarrassed/embarrassing," in the context of you did something stupid and are apologizing OR someone did something stupid and you are lightly admonishing them, or just "I'm sorry (for doing something embarrassing)."

I could tell you lots of things to say, but to really get your meaning across, you need to know more than a word or phrase.

The Chinese are in the process of ruining all tourism in the world. I have been thinking of writing a book about this. It's absolutely true. With their increased economic power, they more and more have the ability to get out of the Middle Kingdom, but unfortunately, they have no instinct or desire to observe even the basic common sense rules when mixing with others who are not Chinese.

The Chinese are always going on about their "5,000 years of Chinese history/culture," but when they are set loose on the world, they show everyone that they are crass, low-brow, loud, selfishly unconcerned about disturbing or ruining the environment for others, think they are better than the "little brown natives," enjoy splashing money around to show off, and generally don't give a flying &lt;deleted&gt; about anyone but their own group.

China bashing? Absolutely, because it's based on facts and experiences. This is not isolated. If you have any doubt, you haven't traveled enough yet.

Trying to teach the Chinese how to behave outside of China is laudable, but as we used to say years ago, "You can take the Chinese out of China, but you can't take China out of the Chinese."

• Like 1

If anyone misbehave in public, whether they are chinese, falangs or locals just stare in disagreement. With all the stares, that will make them aware of their own actions.

Sorry, you can stare all you want at the Chinese. They don't care. They just think you are adding some "local color" to their experience.

They don't think the way you think they think.

If you've read EM Forster's A Passage to India, you'll know how uncouth British Travelers were in the early days of the Brits venturing abroad. They learned, eventually, to be more gracious guests. The Chinese too will learn, and undoubtedly much faster because the world is more connected now. As unofficial hosts, we can either hinder the process by being obnoxious about their obnoxiousness, or help the process along by our graciousness in the face of uncouthness. To quote Charles Dickens: My boy, said a father to his son, treat everyone with politenesseven those who are rude to you. For remember that you show courtesy to others not because they are gentlemen, but because you are one.

If they behave like country bumpkins at times, it is because, less then a generation ago, that is what they were. Rest assured that they won't remain so for long.

T

• Like 1

There's a different dynamic at work here than in the past. Among them is the fact that there are 1.351 billion Chinese (as of 2012) in China. Sure, not all of them will travel, but as we see everywhere we go, they are spreading like a virus around the world.

As for, "They will eventually change," I don't agree. Their idea is that WE have to change to accommodate them. And the fact that they are coming and moving in hordes means they can do what they want with relative impunity. I have admonished vile Chinese tourists at Angkor to pick up their litter and not shout around the monuments, and within 60 seconds the trash is back on the ground (different place) and the volume is back up. They don't care.

A few people who can speak with them in their own tongue is like a few fleas on the back of an ox. They are already overwhelming every place they discover.

If they change, which I don't see (but I suppose there could be a kind of tourism push-back), in will not be in my lifetime.

I lived in various cities around Greater China for nearly 13 years before moving to Thailand 13 years ago, I speak Mandarin fairly well and I still travel regularly around the region. I've witnessed the Taiwanese of the early 90s transform from ill-behaved ignorant country bumpkins into savvy globally aware sophisticated travelers. The mainland Chinese are going through the same process. If you think it's bad here, try spending time as a tourist in China - go see the National Palace in Beijing and you'll quickly develop a sense of just how unbelievably aggressively rude and loud some (well, hoards of) people can be. When even the citizens of Hong Kong take to the streets to protest the influx of horribly behaved mainland tourists, horribly behaved even by HK standards - there's a genuine problem.

I'm tired of people counter arguing that Westerners were just as bad back in the day. That is just a convenient diversion to avoid discussing the real problem. Other say it's racist or divisive to single out the Chinese. Guess what, they need to get the message if the ever are going to improve themselves. Learn Mandarin and engage these people in a conversation, most of them are willing and able to learn if given the opportunity. For those who aren't willing - well then deal with them more succinctly by loudly pointing out their transgression with a few choice words in Mandarin - there's nothing that hurts a Chinese person more than losing face in public, and that rarely ever happens in their society. So call them on their BS behavior and they WILL get the message, I guarantee it.

And BTW, they're not ALL like that. Around Chiang Mai there are heaps of polite and culturally sophisticated mainland Chinese tourists - but you just never notice them because they don't draw attention to themselves.

I totally agree with you and appreciate your words. Chinese people should adapt themselves when go abroad.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand