Four-year old Thai boy dies in a locked school van

webfact

Involuntary manslaughter or involuntary homicide. This appears "negligent" unlike the killing of the police officer on Sukhumvit by the drunk or drugged high speed driver who appeared to "drag" his victim for hundreds of meters while the victim may have still been breathing, and according to news reports, appears to have been malicious intent.

You beat me to it. I wonder why in this case of negligence, where no charges are filed by the parents, the police still insists to press manslaughter charges while in the other case where criminal intend against one of their own was obvious those charges are ignored.

I hope the little boy didn't suffer from his ordeal.

of course he would have suffered!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the people who can not believe a child can die within one hour of sitting in the full sun around nice o'clock in the morning,
Just try it for yourself and it will make a believer out of you.
I am very sad to see this kind of thing happens all over the world again and again.

You may very well be right. But even so, it's still a bit hard to believe,vdon't you think? Also, he must have felt some discomfort and woke up - would he not have started crying and howling and maybe slapping the windows? In a police station, why was he not heard?
  • Like 1

It's not suffocation. It's called BAKING! The kid didn't die from lack of air. The kid died because he was locked in a van with the sun bearing down basically turning the van into an oven. This is a damned tragedy.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is a great shame.

It is also another opportunity for the Thai bashers to get on their high horses. I have just, literally 10 minutes ago, been reading on the BBC news about how this happens every few days in the US.

you think this is an opportunity for thai bashing,you need to wake up we are in Thailand if you didn't know,this is a tragedy caused by a thai.yes it is a great shame which shouldn't have happened,so try bashing your head against the wall before you get on your high horse to make the above comment.

I wouldn't say every few days in the US but certainly every summer in the US no-brained parents leave their kids in the car in the sun and even for less than an hour if it's hot enough, they'll die. There are stupid people everywhere. It's a low level of education that's the problem.

As some have said it happens all over the world so there is no need for Thai bashing. The worst cases imo are when the parents are the perpetrators. But all children are precious

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If we were anywhere but thailand there would be a public outcry. In Thailand, people don't care cos it's not their kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is what really pisses me off about this place.

There are mechanisms in place to ensure safety, and these mechanisms are all born out of frustration after similar tragedies in the past, yet they do not get adhered to or enforced. They just wait for it to happen again where they will temporally enforce the system only for it to fall along the wayside for it to repeat itself yet again.

I'm afraid this is Thainess, and it has many many flaws.

Some of you guys think you come from the perfect world only to bash your host country every chance you get.

So lesson is learned every time a tragic event happens in your home country? Maybe your govt. needs to hold your hands a little tighter for any accountability.

Right, I forgot nothing ever stupid comes our of your country.

Not everyone is as smart as you guys.

This shit happens all over the world all the time.

Edited by tangcoral

Wouldn't you also think that these van drivers would need to pass some sort of superior driving skills test because of the fact that a lot of young lives are entrusted to them ? I doubt that many days go by when i am driving that i do not see some crazy antics from these Van Drivers. they need to be brought to task - most of them are probably unfit to hold a license !

My heart goes out to the poor parents of this little lad.

Another completely senseless, and avoidable tragedy.

The school / Kindergarden who employed this moron van driver to take care of the children, should face charges of corporate murder, and criminal neglect, and also have their license revoked immeadiatley in order other little lives are not wasted in such a horrific manner 

Another avoidable tragedy involving small children locked in school vehicles.  Who hires these useless brain dead numbnuts who don't care about the children they have been entrusted with.

My Mother In Law used to drive one of these vans however she was also a teacher at the school, so she knew who got on the bus, and then she would open the door and let them out one by one upon arriving at school, when going home she again would know who was on and drive to their homes and drop them off.

So please refrain from calling all these drivers numb-nuts.

And think it does not just happen in Thailand, has also happened in the US and in Europe with kids left in the cars whilst mom or dad when to do something, and then they took too long.

And why could not one of the other kids in the back have it in them to wake him up? Sorry, but there is something very seriously wrong with this society, top to bottom. No sense, no feeling, mai pen rai.

Absolute nonsense, the retard driver is responsible for making sure all are off his bus. Usual lack of responsibility that is all too common here.

What a tragic, and so avoidable death.

My daughter travels to school daily on a school van, but they have a supervisor that sits in the back and counts them in and out, actually they come to the door to get her.

It's not nonsennse at all. This is one very up country, but you carry on living in denial.

Did you actuallyvread my post before posting? You expect 4 year old kids to take responsiblity?The driver and the school are the ones responsible. No denial here sunshine.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 2

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92943

http://www.ggweather.com/heat/

http://7online.com/news/child-dies-after-being-left-in-hot-car-in-connecticut/168867/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/father-of-georgia-hot-car-death-toddler-sexting-while-baby-left-to-die-9584358.html

please don't judge anyone base on what they have or have not done...
this can happen to any of us
your country may not be as good as where u are living now ... after all

leave this alone .. he will be grieving for the rest of his life... thats the price he is paying ....

I believe.. in life, things happen for a reason <3

To all the absolute numbskulls who repeatedly attack Thai consciousness here. This happens on a regular basis, ALL OVER THE WORLD.

You mean to actually say you don't know that? If you don't, I feel sorry for you.

No only does it happen everywhere, so forget the Thainess approach, it happens with people and their own children.

How can someone forget they've left a child in a car? I don't know, but it does happen and I don't feel like hanging them,

because I cannot imagine a greater cross to bear than to have killed one's own offspring. 

Like the 4 wheel drivers that reverse over them regularly. The too hard basket it is.

• Like 1

There's something wrong here. Members have touched on aspects, but there is more to it.

1. " Anusorn Joengrungruang, later admitted to the police that he did not notice that the victim had fallen asleep in the back seat...."

2, "At about noon, Anusorn said he started wondering whether he had already let the 4-year old kid out of his van."

3. " Police said the kid died 3-4 hours ago."

point 1 and 2 together.....He "started wondering" and "LET"......I infer from this that he knew he had locked the child in.

Point 3....The child died only an hour after being left in a van (not a small car) in the morning sun, not midday heat? That sounds a bit quick to me.

Things don't add up.

Exactly what I was thinking. The story doesn't add up and raises more questions than it answers. Does he normally park his van at the Police Station? I wonder what the autopsy results will be. Something just isn't right.

My son is celebrating his 4th birthday today and this really hits home. During the time I'm here between jobs my wife and I put my son on the van in the am and receive him in the afternoon. Somehow my wife got my son the front passenger seat last year and he is sitting there again this year. I've read the stories in the past about children being left in a school van and dying from the heat. While I am somewhat relieved that my boy can't be forgotten in the front seat (also, there is a attendant on board)  but I am concerned about the seatbelt issue. I've never seen him buckled in or unbuckled to get out of the van. Safety and being conscienscious about your work is something that needs to addressed in all areas and occupations. Unfortunately, all the regulations in the World won't prevent tragedies like this from happening again but you have to try (do) something different. The system isn't working!

So sad for this little boy that society has failed him. My condolences to the Family, they must be heartbroken.

That poor child and his poor family. How awful. Yes, the driver was stupid and negligent for not checking the entire van before leaving the school and parking the bus. We have had several instances in the States of parents leaving their kids in the car in the hot sun and the children dying. Some leave them there willingly and some just forget they have a kid in the car. Was watching CNN the other day and there was some expert on the show advising parents to leave their shoes of their wallet or purse in the backseat of the car so they won't forget that their children are back there. In the US where car seats are the law, and the seats face backwards very often, the parent apparently can forget there is a kid in the car when they are doing their errands believe it or not.

Even idiots can have children! Now we need an expert to tell us to leave something we feel more valuable or important than our children in the back seat so we don't FORGET them

UNFRACKIN BELIEVEBLE!!!!!!! I can't for the life of me see how a person could unintentionally forget their child was with them. No punnishment is too severe for anyone who does this to a child. IMO

Children take a chit when they get on the bus, put it back when they get off.  Missing chit, kid is still on the bus.... not real hard to organize is it??  Go, down your local school now, buy them a few hundred plastic tags.  It really is a no brainer!!

Oz

Great idea! Compliance is another hurdle to get over not to mention that it was recommended by a farang. I can feel the push back as I'm writing this.

Driver had obviously more important things to do with his time rather than look after the children that were entrusted to his care. More risk assessments need to be taken regarding child welfare in Thailand especially by the parents / school like who they hand over the care of their children to are they competent enough to look after the children in their care and could they handle any emergency situation that might arise when the children are in their care in other words are they properly trained. Or just some stupid bozo who can drive a mini bus along a road for a few miles and is a friend of a friend .     

Another avoidable tragedy involving small children locked in school vehicles.  Who hires these useless brain dead numbnuts who don't care about the children they have been entrusted with.

Where I live, it's the parents who hire the privately owned vans.

Where I live, it's the parents who hire the privately owned vans.

Certainly not the case at my Daughters school. The vans are orgainsed by the school, every van has a supervisor on it, collects them from the door of each house, sits in the back with the kids, counts them in, counts them out. The driver just drives. 

Sad story, which could have been avoided. 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92943

http://www.ggweather.com/heat/

http://7online.com/news/child-dies-after-being-left-in-hot-car-in-connecticut/168867/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/father-of-georgia-hot-car-death-toddler-sexting-while-baby-left-to-die-9584358.html

please don't judge anyone base on what they have or have not done...
this can happen to any of us
your country may not be as good as where u are living now ... after all

leave this alone .. he will be grieving for the rest of his life... thats the price he is paying ....

I believe.. in life, things happen for a reason <3

Are you saying people shouldn't be held accountable for their actions or lack of action? Feeling bad about it is enough. Personally, I think it is terrible that this kind of thing happens anywhere. My family lives in Thailand. Therefore, my opinions and statements reflect what I see in Thailand. If I was in the US, Europe or any other place I would make a case relevent to my location and not say that it happens someplace else. What is the reasoning for that? Many of the people posting reply's here are angry at the system and expressing their feelings. Why should they be silenced or better yet since it happens in other places, their arguments aren't valid? Is it possible that the reason this keeps happening is because not enough is said or done to prevent it from happening again. Wouldn't it be great to report in 2 years that Thailand has a record of no child being injured in a school bus. If people aren't held accountable this will happen over and over. I don't know if it could ever be wiped out completely but if one child's life can be saved by bringing attention to this problem is it not worth it?

This is a great shame.

It is also another opportunity for the Thai bashers to get on their high horses. I have just, literally 10 minutes ago, been reading on the BBC news about how this happens every few days in the US.

you think this is an opportunity for thai bashing,you need to wake up we are in Thailand if you didn't know,this is a tragedy caused by a thai.yes it is a great shame which shouldn't have happened,so try bashing your head against the wall before you get on your high horse to make the above comment.

I wouldn't say every few days in the US but certainly every summer in the US no-brained parents leave their kids in the car in the sun and even for less than an hour if it's hot enough, they'll die. There are stupid people everywhere. It's a low level of education that's the problem.

From the BBC today

"Every few days in the US, there are local media reports about young children dying from heatstroke, or being rescued, after being left to bake in parked cars. Why does it happen so often? "
And
"the number of tragedies has remained on average at about 38 deaths a year for the past decade"

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28214266

spermwhale, on 22 Jul 2014 - 11:34, said:

It's not suffocation. It's called BAKING! The kid didn't die from lack of air. The kid died because he was locked in a van with the sun bearing down basically turning the van into an oven. This is a damned tragedy.

Have you seen the autopsy report?   

Children in Hot Cars: Hyperthermia

Never leave children in cars: a major risk of death through hyperthermia (heat stroke)

Why is it so risky?

•  Car temperatures can rise 10 to 15 degrees Celsius every 15 minutes. Opening windows does not significantly slow down the rate down.
  •  A child’s body temperature rises 3 to 5 times faster than an adult’s due to lower water re-serves.
  •  Hyperthermia can occur in minutes, and fatalities within 2 hours.
  •  Hyperthermia can occur on days as cool as just 22 degrees Celsius, when the inside of a car can quickly reach 47 de-grees Celsius.

More here - Childsafetyeurope .pdf