Thailand Immigration confirms new overstay rules are now official

I am new to this Forum so can anyone help me? How do I start a new conversation? I am a US Citizen flying into Chiang Mai in 2 weeks on a tourist Visa. However my ticket is for 42 days? What do I need to do to get a 30 day extension? Thanks.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am new to this Forum so can anyone help me? How do I start a new conversation? I am a US Citizen flying into Chiang Mai in 2 weeks on a tourist Visa. However my ticket is for 42 days? What do I need to do to get a 30 day extension? Thanks.

You click on the start new topic button at top right corner of the forum main page.

It sounds like you plan on entering to get a 30 day exempt entry and have not obtained a tourist visa from an embassy or consulate. You may need a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival to board your flight. If you had a tourist visa you would get a 60 day entry and would not need a ticket out of the country.

For the new 30 day extension of a 30 day exempt entry that begins on Aug. 29 you would apply for it immigration. At the moment there is only a 7 day extension possible.

You still have time get a a tourist visa before your travel from the embassy or one of the official consulates in LA, NY or Chicago in person or by mail. You can also the get it in person at one of the honorary consulates. See here for contact info on embassy website: http://www.thaiembdc.org/dcdp/?q=consulate_general

Unless I'm missing something I don't see how any of this is a problem for anyone. Just read your visa and when it's about to expire do something about it. Oh and don't get arrested on an overstay. ;-)

Sent from my TRUE BEYOND 3G using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thank you for your advice but that's actually where my problem begins. Today I went to an agency and he told me that They don't issue visa to Turkish, Chinese, Philipino and Pakistani passports.(I'm a turkish citizen and have around 380 days overstay in my passport) I was totally shocked as I have no idea what kind of problem there could be with Turkish, Chinese or Philipino passports as there are lots of people going to visit Thailand as tourist from those countries. Then I contacted to Turkish embassy in Phnom Penh and They called Thai embassy and talked about my situation and about what that agency has said. Thai embassy told them there's not such a thing but that they will consider my situation based on how long I overstayed and what are my reasons are. Then I contacted another visa agency and they also told me they can't get me tourist visa because of that I have overstay stamp in my passport.

Can you please tell me contact address of the guesthouse/agency you mentioned or can you contact them and ask if they can obtain visa for a turkish citizen who has overstay stamp on his passport?

You where tottaly shocked and have no idea what problem there could be with Turkish people. And you have more than a years overstay. And you are from Turkey.

So what If i'm from Turkey? Does that make me a criminal? Last year I got my tourist visa from PP easily without any problem. Now I can't get the visa and the problem isn't overstay stamp in my passport as there are dozens of other foreigners getting visa after overstaying years long. The problem is that Ambassador in Cambodia has changed and this new one now decided to not give visa to Turkish, Chinese, Philipino and Pakistani people. My punishment was that 20,000 THB and as they didn't blacklist me, they should have given this tourist visa. In the same situation an American with more overstay than me can get this visa easily by using an agency. That's what I don't understand.

Sorry but people who are citizens of certain countries are naturally going to be treated differently from citizens of others - nearly every country does this, even your own. Sometimes this is due to the geopolitical relationship between different countries (for example, Malaysia doesn't recognize Israel therefore Israeli citizens can't enter Malaysia, which means they can't leave or enter Thailand across it's southern border). However, generally speaking citizens of richer countries with fewer overstayers, illegal workers etc. are considered to be lower risk and this is how Thailand assesses things. Chinese and Filipinos are considered to be high risk due to overpopulation, fierce competition in the workforce and a large percentage of un and under-employed persons. The Philippines is similar. Both countries have many citizens who go abroad for work, both legally and illegally. Pakistanis have an overpopulation and poverty problem and many of them would be more than happy to go abroad to find a job, even if it means working illegally. Naturally it's going to be harder for citizens of those countries to get a tourist visa for a country like Thailand, especially if applied for outside of their home countries.

I can't speak specifically for Turkey since Turkey is actually a middle income country and richer than all those other 3 on a per-capita basis. All I know is that prior to 2009, Turkish citizens could arrive at the Lao border and ask for a visa on arrival. Nowadays I believe they must arrive with a visa in advance. And now as you say Turkish citizens can no longer request a Thai visa from the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh, despite Turkish citizens being eligible for a 30-day visa waiver to Thailand. Well, that's just the way it is. You can complain all you want but it's not going to change the situation. Being on overstay certainly didn't help your cause but in any case, you aren't allowed to apply for a visa there anymore even if you have never been on overstay.

" I was in a coma and in the hospital for a month, couldn't walk for almost a year, and somehow I managed not to overstay. So I don't buy it."

Whilst I would think not overstaying would be the least of your worries, you managed to not overstay, good on you.

How about showing some compassion for people that didn't manage to not overstay and were in a similar situation as you ?

Bottom line here, the punishment does not fit the crime, certainly not if minor overstays if apprehended are being treated as some believe they will.

Maybe you could use your apparent connections with imiigration and ask them about the intend of their message as there seems to be some confusion.

" I was in a coma and in the hospital for a month, couldn't walk for almost a year, and somehow I managed not to overstay. So I don't buy it."

Whilst I would think not overstaying would be the least of your worries, you managed to not overstay, good on you.

How about showing some compassion for people that didn't manage to not overstay and were in a similar situation as you ?

Bottom line here, the punishment does not fit the crime, certainly not if minor overstays if apprehended are being treated as some believe they will.

Maybe you could use your apparent connections with imiigration and ask them about the intend of their message as there seems to be some confusion.

Because very few are in this sort of situation. Also, I'm not the sort of person to get overly emotional or attached because of someone else's screw-up.

I understand things happen, of course. But being overstayed a couple of months doesn't just happen. A day or two seems forgivable to me, a month or a year does not. Of course, this is only my opinion which means nothing to the overall picture.

What you or I think about the punishment fitting the crime makes absolutely no difference. It is what it is. If you get caught with a couple of tablets of speed in Iraq they might chop your head off. Punishment doesn't fit the crime but if you carried those tablets, it's your responsibility to know what you're getting into.

Maybe you could use your apparent connections with immigration and ask them about the intend of their message as there seems to be some confusion.

The intent of their message is clear—DO NOT OVERSTAY. How much clearer do you need it to be? How confusing is this? If you turn yourself in, the punishment is less than if someone drags you in.

• Like 1

Because very few are in this sort of situation. Also, I'm not the sort of person to get overly emotional or attached because of someone else's screw-up.

I understand things happen, of course. But being overstayed a couple of months doesn't just happen. A day or two seems forgivable to me, a month or a year does not. Of course, this is only my opinion which means nothing to the overall picture.

What you or I think about the punishment fitting the crime makes absolutely no difference. It is what it is. If you get caught with a couple of tablets of speed in Iraq they might chop your head off. Punishment doesn't fit the crime but if you carried those tablets, it's your responsibility to know what you're getting into.

Maybe you could use your apparent connections with immigration and ask them about the intend of their message as there seems to be some confusion.

The intent of their message is clear—DO NOT OVERSTAY. How much clearer do you need it to be? How confusing is this? If you turn yourself in, the punishment is less than if someone drags you in.

Oh we got that message loud and clear. In fact considering the history this has Always been a very good advice in Thailand.

My question which I raised several times now, is if Thai immigration really intends to give people a five year ban in case of a one day overstay if apprehened. Some people claim they don't, some claim they do.

Is there anyone/or anyone knows someone got a tourist visa in Phnom Penh after long overstay?

My friend.

What i can suggest you is once you're in Phnom Penh, go at the Guesthouse called '11 Happy Backpackers'. They make visa service (it was something like 45$ for a 4 days waiting) and they do everything for you. I guess it's the easiest way since you won't have to go to immigration and all.

Plus it's a really cool place. 7$ per night, great ambiance, amazing food and good rooftop.

goodluck to you

Thank you for your advice but that's actually where my problem begins. Today I went to an agency and he told me that They don't issue visa to Turkish, Chinese, Philipino and Pakistani passports.(I'm a turkish citizen and have around 380 days overstay in my passport) I was totally shocked as I have no idea what kind of problem there could be with Turkish, Chinese or Philipino passports as there are lots of people going to visit Thailand as tourist from those countries. Then I contacted to Turkish embassy in Phnom Penh and They called Thai embassy and talked about my situation and about what that agency has said. Thai embassy told them there's not such a thing but that they will consider my situation based on how long I overstayed and what are my reasons are. Then I contacted another visa agency and they also told me they can't get me tourist visa because of that I have overstay stamp in my passport.

Can you please tell me contact address of the guesthouse/agency you mentioned or can you contact them and ask if they can obtain visa for a turkish citizen who has overstay stamp on his passport?

You where tottaly shocked and have no idea what problem there could be with Turkish people. And you have more than a years overstay. And you are from Turkey.

So what If i'm from Turkey? Does that make me a criminal? Last year I got my tourist visa from PP easily without any problem. Now I can't get the visa and the problem isn't overstay stamp in my passport as there are dozens of other foreigners getting visa after overstaying years long. The problem is that Ambassador in Cambodia has changed and this new one now decided to not give visa to Turkish, Chinese, Philipino and Pakistani people. My punishment was that 20,000 THB and as they didn't blacklist me, they should have given this tourist visa. In the same situation an American with more overstay than me can get this visa easily by using an agency. That's what I don't understand.

If you have followed the law and the rules I could feel sorry for you and understand your complain. You think more than one years overstay without any reason is ok. But you are shocked that the embassy in PP don't give out a visa for you. When nothing more serious happend to you after that overstay you should be very happy.

Oh we got that message loud and clear. In fact considering the history this has Always been a very good advice in Thailand.

My question which I raised several times now, is if Thai immigration really intends to give people a five year ban in case of a one day overstay if apprehened. Some people claim they don't, some claim they do.

This is what I was given by immigration. Personally, I wouldn't want to be apprehended if I was overstayed.

5236663_orig.jpg

2158127_orig.jpg

I was in the CM Immigration office yesterday with my Thai wife renewing my annual visa and I had to sign a paper indicating these new rules.

Also there was a farang in there with his Thai wife, a couple of small kids, and what looked to be a couple of possible Thai relatives. I mentioned to my wife that that guy's Thai wife didn't seem to have a very happy face on. My wife mentioned to me that she overheard some of the conversation going on between the Immigration officers and that family. It seems that he overstayed by more than a year and they were going to be deporting him as well as place the 3 year ban on him.

I guess the thought is, be legal or don't get caught.

That has always been the case, which is why it's never a good idea to 'turn yourself in to immigration'. That's because you're still IN the country, possibly without the money for the fine, and dealing with an immigration officer who can basically do whatever he feels like to you - just like he can in any country in the world. Deportation and blacklisting was always a possibility in Thailand if you did this - even 10 years ago.

Instead, the right thing to do, which has always been the right thing, is you simply get to a border or the airport and leave.

Once at a border or at an airport, as long as you have the money to pay the fine and behave politely, you are never likely to face problems under the current system (you will when the ban law goes into effect) as you are obviously leaving and trying to fix the situation you are in. Sure, some borders are not allowing people to leave with overstays and are sending them to Bangkok to fly out, but they're not arresting them or causing any more trouble for them than that.

In my 15 years in Thailand, I have known many many many people who have had overstays, some of several years - one man of 10 years, and only one of them ever had a problem paying the fine, leaving the country, getting the suitable visa and coming back to Thailand.

The one who had a problem? Possibly the nastiest, rudest most obnoxious individual I've ever had the bad luck to meet and who couldn't be polite to anyone if his life depended on it. So, I'm sure he was his normal self when he tried to leave on an overstay at the airport. Sure, they let him leave, but I heard through a friend a few weeks later that he'd been put on a blacklist and wasn't allowed to come back for at least 2 years.

But going to an immigration office while on overstay, and particularly without the money to pay the fine (which could definitely have been the situation with the man you saw) and, yes, you could easily be blacklisted.

• Like 1

Official but starting from when !

It doesn't say. But normally it means it will be in effect right now (or very, very soon).Comming days will tell, but we alsready heard about people being denied back in the country because of overstay.

I would say, if you are on overstay deal with it right now before you get into much more problems.

I was at Jomtien Immigration (Chonburi) today and the friendly "90-day lady" stated, that she EXPECTED that the new regulations will be in force within 2 months.

This is a warning period and the new regulations are with the gov't to be approved.

SO, at THIS moment no sweat..........and if you do have an overstay take care of it NOW.

Edited by joepattaya1961
  • Like 1

^ oh boy, that message IS clear. They are indeed going that route.

I guess it opens up some revenu opportunities for the people involved in apprehension !

Tourist should be well aware of this.

If they dont overstay, know and follow the laws it will never come to that ;)