Where do you shop and what's "convenient" about 7-11?

laolover88

I try to do most of the shopping in markets, street markets, Chinese stores and Mom and Pop

I try to avoid Tesco, Big C, Makro, though I do use Rimping/TOPS/Festival for Western Food, usually when I run out of my 'personal imports'!

In most markets the vendor can tell me where the produce..fish..meat..fruit..vegetables.. comes from, will ask me how I am going to cook it, and look pleasantly astonished. It used to be called 'marketing'!. Chinese stores are cheaper than the supermarkets.

Mom and Pop sell me beer from 07.00 am until they close.

Seems to me 7-11 is useful for paying bills, buying Phone Top Ups etc. They sell nothing of any worth at all. Just sugary rubbish. Tesco Express is not much better, but at least they sell food. Oh and they have ATMs.....anything else?

What do you do/think?

I dont think 7-11 has ever tried to position themselves as either a supermarket or a restaurant. They make a lot more sense when you need something at 2am, and I'm very happy to have one downstairs from my apartment block, just as I'm happy to have a Big C 5 minutes away and a Thai-style supermarket roughly 150 metres in the other direction - choice is good. Absolutely no need to beat up on 7-11/Family Mart for providing a service - let me know when you find a supermarket that is open 24/7.

• Like 2

I dont think 7-11 has ever tried to position themselves as either a supermarket or a restaurant. They make a lot more sense when you need something at 2am, and I'm very happy to have one downstairs from my apartment block, just as I'm happy to have a Big C 5 minutes away and a Thai-style supermarket roughly 150 metres in the other direction - choice is good. Absolutely no need to beat up on 7-11/Family Mart for providing a service - let me know when you find a supermarket that is open 24/7.

Foodland is open 24 hours.

Yes, and the food quality - and portion sizes - in their restaurants has declined markedly over the last few years. In any case, that's a much larger operation than a 7-11 franchise but I applaud them for offering their services 24 hours a day.

Yes, and the food quality - and portion sizes - in their restaurants has declined markedly over the last few years. In any case, that's a much larger operation than a 7-11 franchise but I applaud them for offering their services 24 hours a day.

Who is talking about their restaurant?

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Long way to go to Foodland!

7/11 are second to my local walk a few yards mom (no pop) shop, but some things I can get there which she does not have. Also she knows not to overprice me, as as soon as she does I just walk the extra yards to 7/11!

I do see a lot of Mom and Pop store owners shopping in Tesco for store supplies, You can see them a mile away with one or two Trolleys full of multipack Items like rice, beer, chips, peanuts, noddle's, cooking oil and many more.

smile.png

Depends entirely where you live, if I ever wanted a 7-11 its a 40 minute round trip!

So I am not in any real need of one.

I can get to Foodland and do once in a while; great to eat there and buy some wine.

Villa is nearer and also good for those things you as a foreigner somtimes crave, even though not pregnant.

7/11 ubiquituous and any time, but for alcohol!

Mom, when open, supplies.

I do not live in central Bangkok, where Foodland and Villa sell anything anytime, night or day; or did, long time since I was there!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I live smack bang between Foodland on Sukhumvit 16 and Villa Supermarket Sukhumvit 33

Both open 24/7

Both will sell you booze at 4am

7/11 Perfect hard boiled eggs. Fresh eggs. Rice both cooked and raw. Hot dogs for my dog. Dog treats for my dog. Mint smelling salts, Tylenol, deodorant, soap and laundry detergent, frozen spaghetti and meatballs, 8 different kinds of dim sum, wheat bread, white bread, raisin bread, potato bread, Tooth paste, condoms, Off insect repellent,Bandaids, gauze pads, sanitary napkins, toilet tissue, Kleenex tissue, baby wipes, dehydrated fruits, greet tea, fermented milk yogurt, Bulgarian yogurt, Prunes if you ever have to poop.

Edited by thailiketoo