OPINION: The right kind of long-timer

What a load of crap "right kind of long-timer" — you mean Russian oligarchs, Chinese mafia, western tax avoiders? You mean farang with lots of money? Great. Who will this benefit: Thais in Isan, who have a few farang married to a village girl living in their midst? No. This is a load of crap. There are many guys living in Thailand on small money who are of benefit to Thailand, they look after someone elses children, contribute to the local economy, and help our generally. But these are now the bad guys.

This has nothing to do with quality or what is best for people, it is simply a xenophoic dislike of foreigners and a fear of independence by people in uniform. Chinese tourists who fly into Phuket and stay at a resort for a month, are the 'quality' sort after. These tourists will benefit the big hotel chains, the large resort operators, but give little to small business or local tourism.

so how long is your overstay then ? rolleyes.gif

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guess some people are just perfect and contribute unknown quality's to Thailand ...the key word being unknown

I for one welcome the day IMMIGRATION will be actually sorted out and they treat people with respect instead of suspected criminals...it all starts with good day how may i help you ...not what you want ..passport now! ...as happened to me yesterday

That would be a welcome change. I for one dread the annual visit to Chang Wattana immigration.

That money-making machine should be patented. They must be laughing their heads off come closing time. And when I see elderly peolple being transported there in their hospital beds, I feel sick. How humiliating.

I was once in hospital when my visa expired. As I was getting desperate, the hospital (Samitivej) kindly and efficiently arranged for an officer from immigration to come and sort out my problem. He showed up, demanded money and signatures and proceded - without asking permission - to take photos of me with tubes sticking out here and there in my sickbed. As foreigners we are expected to treat all things Thai with respect, but that seems to be a one way street.

I think it is about time that some people in this country got off their high horses and started to behave decently towards visitors to their country - tourists as well as people who live here for various reasons (as long as the reasons are valid of course).

You both may have to adjust your expectations. Front line immigration officials will never be friendly towards foreigners. Any friendliness is looked upon by their superiors suspiciously. As if they are giving favors to the foreigner or possibly involved in bribe taking. This is what an immigration officer actually told me so unless that changes, then continue to expect to be scowled at, ordered to go get some missing document, extra letter or copy of something..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is a good thing.

Get a work permit and work visa. Pay your bloody taxes. Then you'll have no problem.

This visa run thing has gone on long enough. One of the good things that will come out of this is we will have less 'teachers' now. We really don't need all this riff raff 'teachers' whose only qualification is speaking the language and being white. High time this country hired real English teachers.

As much as i agree with you that teachers here should do their best to meet the requirements to be real English teachers, let us not forget that the other neighbouring countries have learnt English to a reasonable standard with these "riff raff teachers".

This is a good thing.

Get a work permit and work visa. Pay your bloody taxes. Then you'll have no problem.

This visa run thing has gone on long enough. One of the good things that will come out of this is we will have less 'teachers' now. We really don't need all this riff raff 'teachers' whose only qualification is speaking the language and being white. High time this country hired real English teachers.

If they want real teachers they will have to pay real salaries.

I would be great if they did, but it's not likely. They will probably find another solution.

On a general note, these reforms are great, but it won't get the country far without tackling the mindset. Thais need to become global citizens, as well as Thai citizens.

Edited by Water Buffalo

Implement, as in many countries, "special skills" permit for what the country really needs. It is easy to say JUST get a work permit, not all companies can comply with the requirements such as 4 Thais per farang etc. Some skills are really needed, I think about shipbuilding because that is my branche but I am sure the same applies for welders, nurses, programmers,teachers...as these professions are needed all over the world. Special Skills permit is the answer.

Edited by Boatfreak

This is a good thing.

Easier said than done mate. Unfortunately, it's not as black and white as that - not every foreigner who works here is, or aspires to be a teacher. How do you propose freelance programmers, for example, or YouTubers who work alone get a work permit? I'm sure there are many people who work online, and get contracts from abroad, want to work legally and pay taxes, but are simply unable to due to the archaic labour laws which don't have a place in the digital age. What about the jeweller, the designer, the artist, the entrepreneur or any other of the myriad freelance professions that require a currently unobtainable work permit, for whom starting a company (which they can't even fully own), renting an office and employing several Thai staff before they can employ themselves is just not a viable option? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Here's hoping, as the article suggests, that the immigration laws will swing the other way too, and make it much simpler for these guys. It'll not only benefit them, but Thailand too.

At least for freelance programers, I'm aware of a work-around, where a local company hires them and pays out a salary based on how much they bring in from their clients, who the company invoices instead of the freelancer directly. For example: http:/iglu.in.th/work

The taxman is happy, immigration is happy, and the BOI is happy since the company also hires a number of young Thai programmers who are getting valuable experience.

The jeweler, on the other hand, might be SOL.

Implement, as in many countries, "special skills" permit for what the country really needs. It is easy to say JUST get a work permit, not all companies can comply with the requirements such as 4 Thais per farang etc. Some skills are really needed, I tink about shipbuilding because tha is my branche but I am sure the same applies for welders, nurses, programmers,teachers...as these professions are needed all over the world. Special Skills permit is the answer.

Well actually there are "special skills" permit its called a WP

BTW there are a few shipbuilding yards in Thailand, and the proper Thai welders are some of the best in the world, not talking about what the average TV posters see's sitting on a bar stool watching a Somchai rice farmer burning electrodes with sunglasses on..

Welding is one area where Thailand doesnt need "special skills" anything and in fact Thai welders are sought all over the world, and some of them which would make an "English" teacher very jealous indeed with money they are earning...thumbsup.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another brilliant example of Thai "logic"

You both may have to adjust your expectations. Front line immigration officials will never be friendly towards foreigners. Any friendliness is looked upon by their superiors suspiciously. As if they are giving favors to the foreigner or possibly involved in bribe taking. This is what an immigration officer actually told me so unless that changes, then continue to expect to be scowled at, ordered to go get some missing document, extra letter or copy of something..

That would be a welcome change. I for one dread the annual visit to Chang Wattana immigration.

guess some people are just perfect and contribute unknown quality's to Thailand ...the key word being unknown

I for one welcome the day IMMIGRATION will be actually sorted out and they treat people with respect instead of suspected criminals...it all starts with good day how may i help you ...not what you want ..passport now! ...as happened to me yesterday

That money-making machine should be patented. They must be laughing their heads off come closing time. And when I see elderly peolple being transported there in their hospital beds, I feel sick. How humiliating.

I was once in hospital when my visa expired. As I was getting desperate, the hospital (Samitivej) kindly and efficiently arranged for an officer from immigration to come and sort out my problem. He showed up, demanded money and signatures and proceded - without asking permission - to take photos of me with tubes sticking out here and there in my sickbed. As foreigners we are expected to treat all things Thai with respect, but that seems to be a one way street.

I think it is about time that some people in this country got off their high horses and started to behave decently towards visitors to their country - tourists as well as people who live here for various reasons (as long as the reasons are valid of course).

Thailand really should try to make it easier to set up a company. They're going to end up losing a lot to the other countries in the region.

Compare, for example, how much simpler it is to set up a company in Malaysia using the Labuan federal territory: http://siamstartup.com/news/thailand-boi-company-vs-malaysia-labuan-international-company/

Even many Thai-owned homegrown startups chose to incorporate the company in another country due to the way Thailand's ownership restrictions limit the potential for attracting foreign venture capitalists, as reported here: http://www.techinasia.com/successful-startup-settle-thailand-register-company/

Edited by LazyYogi
  • Like 1

I am treated as just some foreigner - like an office junior...?[/size]

How dare they treat you like a foreigner !.... they are the natives, they are suppose to kowtow down in front of the lilly white Ajarn at all times, hang on your every order and whim, dont they know their place, you should would take the rattan cane and give them a good thrashing, administered by your "best boy" of course while you sit back and have a G&T

SP, should we not bow down in front of Bwana?

And what of the "comfortably living"expats that have/are contributing to the country's coffers...? To be more succint, those of us that are, indeed, in/out of TH and coming in on a 30 day walk-in visa. Many folks do this and have their homes here already in preparation of retiring here. Perhaps a card could be applied here - NO , not that rubbish Elite card!

I think maybe they're suggesting you should have invested in getting legal before investing in that home, that car and that life you've planned inside the loopholes.

I wish my tenure in Thailand were as cheap as the Elite card. Even the Thai income tax on the absolute minimum I can earn and still keep getting a WP extension is quite a bit more than the 100K per year for the Elite card.

I pay Thai income tax on quite a bit more than the absolute minimum, and happy for the privilege. That's on top of the 7% VAT and luxury taxes and rent and meals and all the other "contributions" extolled by the posters that think that should be enough to throw the doors open and roll out the red carpet for them.

I do,in fact, know what you're getting at impulse.... Been here 34 yrs. now and know a few of the immig officers at CNX. They always told me not to bother with even getting a non-imm visa of any sort due to the fact that I was/am usually out of the country more than 200 days/yr. No, I do not work in TH. Now it seems that I'll have to get a "marriage" visa til' up to the time of retirement.

I am treated as just some foreigner - like an office junior...?[/size]

How dare they treat you like a foreigner !.... they are the natives, they are suppose to kowtow down in front of the lilly white Ajarn at all times, hang on your every order and whim, dont they know their place, you should would take the rattan cane and give them a good thrashing, administered by your "best boy" of course while you sit back and have a G&T

SP, should we not bow down in front of Bwana?

Yes of course that goes without saying, and they must never turn their back to their lilly white Ajarn bwana either.... "White mans burden/native protocols Volume 1"

"...we look forward to a liberalization of business regulations for higher-quality foreigners."

More money = higher quality. That's offensive. At least the writer is upfront about it.

Screw that guy. I'm not working, I'm retired at 48, 46 when I got here. I have a mess of in and out stamps under my tourist visas before I switched to ED.

I get cracking down on people who are working illegally, but lumping those of us who have done NOTHING illegal, who simply are not old enough for a retirement visa is stupid.

What a dick.

Dear Furryman,

can you please explain me how is possible to be retried in middle 40ties..... Please, i would like to know.

To respond to post #50 that says: How do you propose freelance programmers, for example, or YouTubers who work alone get a work permit?

Thailand has a priority to encourage foreign investments that create jobs for Thai citizens -- they do not seem to have much interest in creating incentives for foreigners who want to come to Thailand and work alone.

In all fairness, not only Thailand makes it so difficult to work for foreigners. Try being Thai and work in Europe.

• Like 1

This is a good thing.

Does that work both ways? I have a company here and I am pretty sure that we pay more tax in a month than most Thais do in a lifetime.

Also of you look at the tax contribution via VAT of a lot of people on tourist visas their monthly spend on food etc is massively higher than most Thais. Won't find many Thais stocking up at Villa mart, they will be buying 30 baht Street food from someone who hasn't paid tax for years, if ever.

Food dont have VAT

Look folks.

It's about the cost-benefit equation that we all (implicitly) go through.

Is it worth going through the immigration, work permit, and reporting hassles to be able to stay here?

Most of the successful ex-pat residents have answered that question, and you will hardly ever see them on this Forum.

Those that feel done-hard by Thailand's immigation and Ministry of Labor have a self-defeatist mindset.

This is a good thing.

So ridiculous...

This country will never have the proper teacher and it is still better to have white english native vusa runners than NOTHING !

Open your mind and learn how to respect the people who do not have the same chance as you (or me) and who are the only chance for millions of Thai to be able to speak a bit of English correctly.

So, some guy who is successful enough to have made it by 40, to be wealthy beyond the imagination of the author of this Phuket news drivel, to be smarter and richer and contribute more to Thailand than a hundred of the ilk of this author or a truck full of immigration office [removed], who happens to be too young for a retirement visa, who spends more on hotels than this dumb author can imagine, is automatically feckless because he has too many stamps in his passport?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

For every 1 like this, there are 300 who are living on a shoe string getting by.

Easy, you got cash and your young?? There is a visa for that !!!!!

What visa?

Which visa is it that I should go for at 29 years age, living on savings, spending between 20 to 30k/month. Searching for jobs but still studying for my bachelor from abroad by online studies.

Which visa should I use?

Am I a tourist? Doubtful since I live with my fiancee, I don't travel much unless when she has vacation and what I do most is looking for jobs outside of the teacher sector since I'm a Non-native English speaker and don't hold a degree. That leaves sales job as a good option, and it's not like I'm not trying to get them, I'm even prepared to commute between BKK and Huahin, staying in HH during the weekdays for job and going home from Friday to Sunday.

But there are many young Scandinavians who want those jobs. And I have yet to wait for my luck to land one.

So what am I then?

What visa can I apply for? Which one would be the right??

All this has led to me and my fiancee hurrying up our marriage 2 years for the official part since that might give me a chance. But we are still not married.

I have done nothing wrong, I have abused nobody. I'm not sitting drinking beer in a sleazy bar wearing a tank-top... I'm just a guy who wishes to live round the people he loves. And while I still can afford it without working, then why hurry(?)

But why would it be impossible for someone to be tourist more than 30 days?

And what am I if not a tourist??

Should I just leave Thailand cause I'm not wearing a suit and working? Am I not welcome to just live and spend the money I earned after 6 years working in Norway? Why does some of you seem to have a huge problem with that?

And if I'm not a tourist, but still should get chance to stay here, what should it be based upon?

I still haven't got a decent answer to this one.

I would LOVE to go for a non imm Visa of any kind. I would love to do what is expected of me and follow all rules.

But at the moment I can't figure out what that would be, except getting married or land one of all the jobs I applied for quickly, which won't happen since even-though I've been to interviews and have interviews coming I'm just one of more than 100 applying, and need to wait 2-4 weeks from each company to let them see who they choose, perhpas get a mail that said they found other candidates for the post, and then start the cycle from the beginning since the all the same companies will hand out new positions all the time. So it may take awhile..

The answer is a very hard one. There is no visa for you!!!

In such a case you should go instead to one of those wonderful countries who will give you a visa to match you cirmumstances. That is if you can find one.

If you cannot you need to return to your own country, get a proper job and continue your studies.

You will have to wait, as I did, until you are old enough to get aretirement visa. Alternatively you can get the necessary qualifications and experience to get yourself a proper job in Thailand.

Hard I know, but this is reality. Face it. You have no God given right to live in Thailand unless you can meet the requirements. This country belongs to Thais not foreigners.

• Like 1

I've been here 15 years. 10 years on back to back visas.

Love the place. Had a tough time organising myself. But now I'm comparatively sorted.

I've done business here - lost my shirt - then made some money. Had to go back to Europe a few times to cash up.

One of the good things was the relaxed attitude around the tourist visa - painful to do those damned visa runs - but they got to check on you and you got to come back. Fair enough.

Work permits, company registrations, trying to be legal - whooaa. A nightmare. Your rights as an investor - what rights? You have no rights.

So we went international - based in Hong Kong. It might small, polluted, expensive and full noisy Cantonese. But it saved me.

So the land of smiles is now fast becoming the land of the crackdown. But I don't think they've thought this one through.

The architects and the policies which made Thailand a huge success are long gone. We now enter the clean up phase. It won't take long and they'll clean the place right up. They'll get rid of the undesirables and those who don't fit the narrow band of preferred tourist types. And it will work for a while too. It will be lovely and clean. Very neat and tidy. Spic and span. More and more rules, it will just get better and better.....until the calming.

You won't notice it at first. A few more empty shops here and there. Lower rents. Less development. Less traffic. Less beggars (they'll be outlawed). Bus loads of budget Chinese tourists. Excellent.

The crazy young people will come less and less. Then the business folks will find it difficult. The retirees will hang in for a while - but they'll get sorted out. After all, we're in clean up mode! Your papers please.

And then people will talk about the old days, when everything was bursting to capacity and what a mess it was and how much money they where making.

Oh yes the money....

Bing!

• Like 1

So, some guy who is successful enough to have made it by 40, to be wealthy beyond the imagination of the author of this Phuket news drivel, to be smarter and richer and contribute more to Thailand than a hundred of the ilk of this author or a truck full of immigration office [removed], who happens to be too young for a retirement visa, who spends more on hotels than this dumb author can imagine, is automatically feckless because he has too many stamps in his passport?

For every 1 like this, there are 300 who are living on a shoe string getting by.

What visa?

Which visa is it that I should go for at 29 years age, living on savings, spending between 20 to 30k/month. Searching for jobs but still studying for my bachelor from abroad by online studies.

Which visa should I use?

Am I a tourist? Doubtful since I live with my fiancee, I don't travel much unless when she has vacation and what I do most is looking for jobs outside of the teacher sector since I'm a Non-native English speaker and don't hold a degree. That leaves sales job as a good option, and it's not like I'm not trying to get them, I'm even prepared to commute between BKK and Huahin, staying in HH during the weekdays for job and going home from Friday to Sunday.

But there are many young Scandinavians who want those jobs. And I have yet to wait for my luck to land one.

So what am I then?

All this has led to me and my fiancee hurrying up our marriage 2 years for the official part since that might give me a chance. But we are still not married.

I have done nothing wrong, I have abused nobody. I'm not sitting drinking beer in a sleazy bar wearing a tank-top... I'm just a guy who wishes to live round the people he loves. And while I still can afford it without working, then why hurry(?)

Should I just leave Thailand cause I'm not wearing a suit and working? Am I not welcome to just live and spend the money I earned after 6 years working in Norway? Why does some of you seem to have a huge problem with that?

And if I'm not a tourist, but still should get chance to stay here, what should it be based upon?

I would LOVE to go for a non imm Visa of any kind. I would love to do what is expected of me and follow all rules.

But at the moment I can't figure out what that would be, except getting married or land one of all the jobs I applied for quickly, which won't happen since even-though I've been to interviews and have interviews coming I'm just one of more than 100 applying, and need to wait 2-4 weeks from each company to let them see who they choose, perhpas get a mail that said they found other candidates for the post, and then start the cycle from the beginning since the all the same companies will hand out new positions all the time. So it may take awhile..

In such a case you should go instead to one of those wonderful countries who will give you a visa to match you cirmumstances. That is if you can find one.

If you cannot you need to return to your own country, get a proper job and continue your studies.

You will have to wait, as I did, until you are old enough to get aretirement visa. Alternatively you can get the necessary qualifications and experience to get yourself a proper job in Thailand.

Hard I know, but this is reality. Face it. You have no God given right to live in Thailand unless you can meet the requirements. This country belongs to Thais not foreigners.

Absolutely right!

And get a bloody haircut. Young people, what do they think this is? A bloody fun park!

You gotta suffer matey - like I did - we had the war - you don't know how lucky you are!

And another thing - a fair days work for a fair days pay!

What visa?

Which visa should I use?

So what am I then?

What a bunch of BS. I have a fiancee here and a family. Why would I go somewhere else? Even the immigrations are more understanding than you in that case. As long as I can prove I'm not working here a tourist visa works fine

My question was hypothetical.

I can still get in on tourist visas. I haven't been living here non-stop for eternity and have no previous visas.

I'm applying for jobs, so sooner or later I'll find one.

Wait 21 years to get retired? Thanks but I'll pass on that one, Marriage seems way easier. Which of course will be the next natural step.

I might however study Thai for a year before that, partly because I want to be more fluent, and partly because it will allow me to stay here. Would that be a wrong visa in your opinion, and if so, why? I do want to study, and I do want to stay. Would it be wrong just because of the last part?...

As for proper job I'm in the process of that. But my study-funds will be hopefully be enough to meet a 40.000/month requirement for an extension of a non Imm O visa based on marriage.

If not I will simply get 400.000 in a Thai account 2 months in advance after I get the first Non Imm "O" at Savannakhet for 90 days, and then apply for the extension after I the money has been in my account for more than 60 days.

I know there are many ways around this. But it's just tiring to see people with retirement visas or business visas looking down on all others as "illegal workers" or "people who don't belong here", without having a clue about the person that writes background and ties to Thailand except from what he/she writes here.

(I have ties to this country since I was born, but I have no reason to go into those details)

Edited by banglassie
  • Like 2

What visa?

Which visa should I use?

So what am I then?

Absolutely right!

And get a bloody haircut. Young people, what do they think this is? A bloody fun park!

You gotta suffer matey - like I did - we had the war - you don't know how lucky you are!

5555, yea, I'm so glad I'm not from your era, you have no idea...

Why should I care of you had the war? How would that concern me. That war is over, things are not like they were in the 40's or 60's or whatever period you lived in..

And why would I think it's a fun park? Why should I need to suffer just because you didn't have the cash and I do? Ridiculous...

Work does sound nice though, hopefully will have that one sorted out before the end of next month (without having to get a haircut)

What visa?

Which visa should I use?

So what am I then?

Absolutely right!

Why should I care of you had the war? How would that concern me. That war is over, things are not like they were in the 40's or 60's or whatever period you lived in..

And why would I think it's a fun park? Why should I need to suffer just because you didn't have the cash and I do? Ridiculous...

Work does sound nice though, hopefully will have that one sorted out before the end of next month (without having to get a haircut)

I agree with Banglassie---time changed. I hate ageism

• Like 1

Absolutely right!

It was a joke. A jest. A little humour.

A ha ha ha ha erm....maybe not.

Seriously though, I wish you every success in staying here and hope you get everything sorted out before your nearly dead and ready for your retirement visa.

555, if so, sorry for not understanding it was a joke (or was it? :/ hahaha) I might have some hidden autism after all.

Seriously though, I'm aware this is an internet forum, and people love to bash each other. it's normal, at least all places were people stay anonymous. (Just like youtube comments).

I thought I saw lots of sarcasm in your post, but then again this is Thaivisa, you never know! (I still don't know! ohmy.png haha)

No matter joke or not I never take real offense from things written on internet by people who don't know me.

And thanks for the good wishes regarding success, wish you the best in everything and hope your life turns out just the way you want it no matter what age you are. (and that goes for all here, even the those stuck in negative loops)

I been through the progress of open a company, getting a WP and Business Visa in this country all by myself. I can tell you it's not a walk in the park.

How can Thailand be attractive for anyone to start a new life here or expanding your business if you are not a "big investor" or a high skilled engineer hired by an local/international company.

The options are limited. Maybe after all this is really just a holiday destination or retirement place. I don't know...

It is very tough.

And there should be some costs - nobody would object.

But I know a raft of people - mainly socially - that have given up - because it was so difficult to be legitimate. For some reason I persisted and still had to get myself incorporated in Hong Kong.

I think they just want package tourists and retirees. That'll get the place buzzing.

"...we look forward to a liberalization of business regulations for higher-quality foreigners."

More money = higher quality. That's offensive. At least the writer is upfront about it.

Screw that guy. I'm not working, I'm retired at 48, 46 when I got here. I have a mess of in and out stamps under my tourist visas before I switched to ED.

I get cracking down on people who are working illegally, but lumping those of us who have done NOTHING illegal, who simply are not old enough for a retirement visa is stupid.

What a dick.

Dear Furryman,

can you please explain me how is possible to be retried in middle 40ties..... Please, i would like to know.

I retired at 28.. Sometimes you dont need to work longer just smarter harder..

Or in my case.. Luckier..

• Like 1

What a load of crap "right kind of long-timer" — you mean Russian oligarchs, Chinese mafia, western tax avoiders? You mean farang with lots of money? Great. Who will this benefit: Thais in Isan, who have a few farang married to a village girl living in their midst? No. This is a load of crap. There are many guys living in Thailand on small money who are of benefit to Thailand, they look after someone elses children, contribute to the local economy, and help our generally. But these are now the bad guys.

This has nothing to do with quality or what is best for people, it is simply a xenophoic dislike of foreigners and a fear of independence by people in uniform. Chinese tourists who fly into Phuket and stay at a resort for a month, are the 'quality' sort after. These tourists will benefit the big hotel chains, the large resort operators, but give little to small business or local tourism.

The right to choose no.. If that what they have decided, its their country to set the rules for.

But isnt the problem that you dont have cash..

Those young retirees who are genuinely cashed up dont have a problem.. 10 mil investor visa, or 500k elite card or paying a company a fee to employ you or or or..