Hand Bendable Break Line Tubing, Where to purchase in BKK?

Singoth

Hello All,

I was wondering if someone could point me to a shop or shops that carry hand bendable break line tubing?? In the States this stuff goes by the name of NI-Copp (Nickle and Cooper alloy) or Poly-Armour among other names. It's really the easiest way to redo break lines these days. This stuff is made in China and I am sure it can be purchased here in Bangkok. I just don't fancy running round without some sort of direction as to where to find this stuff. I would need a few rolls of it. Thanks for any info any of you could pass my way to save some blind searching.

Cheers,

Singtoh

Yah most here use copper tubing as they have no idea that is breaks down in brake fluid and contaminates it. frustrating when I tired to find some myself but I didn't need it in bulk like you do mine was a one off replacement so I had it cut to length, flared and a new end installed, many shops have tubing kits to do this with instead and they have all of the adapters to do whatever end is required whether flared or just cuffed with a nipple, etc. and recycle the nut.

I buy it from K.Long at Hlong turbo.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hlong-Turbo/258109820893330

Hello Spoonman and Warpspeed, Thank you much for the replies and the info. Great news that this stuff can be easily found. I'll have a look at K.Long at Hlong Turbo. Could I ask you how much it is per meter?? Thanks a bunch again you guys, really appreciate it and you saved me a bunch of running around.

Cheers,

Singtoh

We pay 700b per roll. K,Long is the driver for one of the 3 pickups we race so I don't know if that price is retail or "mates rates".

Ok Spoonman great info. That sounds very reasonable depending on the size of the roll?? I just looked at the link you sent me and there isn't much info there. I don't do the FaceBook thing.

While I have you here chatting, would it be possible for you to pass me a phone number to the Hlong Turbo Shop or a email address so I can call them or email them and get the details on this Hand Bendable Break Line?? I googled it and the shop itself or the webpage isn't showing up for me, only a FaceBook.

Thanks Spoonman for your help and info. I greatly appreciate it:)

Cheers,

Singtoh

Although it can be "hand bent" I think you will still need a bending tool to avoid kinks.. 

116_0701_21_z%2Bbend_your_own_brake_line

Oh, Ok. I'll have to have a look at it because I was thinking it's like the Poly-Armour stuff that you can bend with no tools required. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=r1DjuQ2nLg8

This or similiar is what we really need. We install Hydraulic with Electronic assist Anti-theft wheel locking Systems(New Company) in Vehicles and the hand bendable stuff would really cut down on the install time. I am hoping this can be found, if this isn't it already.

Thanks Spoonman for anymore info you could pass along,

Cheers,

Singtoh

Yeah this tubing aint anything like that easy bend stuff in the youtube clip. you will need a bender.

If you are doing this in volume it would be easiest to have the lines pre-made.

Edited by Spoonman

Get yourself a set of these spring benders and they'll facilitate quicker hand bending but prevent kinks. I know, since you're doing custom, one off installations, being pre-made is going to be difficult since each install may be different so these would help with that.

017197516009.jpg

Edited by WarpSpeed

Get yourself a set of these spring benders and they'll facilitate quicker hand bending but prevent kinks. I know, since you're doing custom, one off installations, being pre-made is going to be difficult since each install may be different so these would help with that.

017197516009.jpg

Hello Warpspeed

Yeah, it will be like nearly every install will be a "Custom" job, unless we get the exact same make, model and year in, which I am sure will happen eventually. Premaid I don't think is an option.

I guess any parts store in BKK would have these "Spring Benders"(Please expand) and since I am pretty sure you have used them before, do they do a really good job?? We have to be sure when we do the installations that the final outcome can be "Shown at the Fair" so to speak and look as near perfect as possible. I am on the Tech-Mech side of things and it's my ass if we don't get a real professional looking job done. Thanks for any more info from you and Spoonman, you guys are really being helpful.

Cheers,

Singtoh

Yeah this tubing aint anything like that easy bend stuff in the youtube clip. you will need a bender.

If you are doing this in volume it would be easiest to have the lines pre-made.

Hello Spoonman,

Yeah, we have all the premaid sections already it's just that they are steel break tubing  and it is a real PITA. I remember re-building a 3/4-1ton 4X4 Chevy basically from the ground up and all the break lines needed replaced. Needless to say it wasn't easy nor pretty, and I remember ruining a bit of tubing due to bad bending technique. That job was mainly under the vehicle. The installations we will be doing now are up in the Engine bay for all to see and "admire" so to speak.

Cheers Spoonman,

Singtoh

Professional is relative,I can't speak for the tech. but the tools are capable of doing a good job, but they won't be easy to use necessarily because the tubing is rather stiff. You'll have to learn tricks to using it, for example you don't cut the tubing if there is going to be a bend close to the end as you won't have the leverage on one side to make the bend work.. They may not be easily located there you may have to order a set online and have them shipped but that shouldn't be a massive task or cost, might be easier than seeking them out there honestly.

The way they work is you slide the tubing inside finding the best, snug fit, they wrap the tubing and when you bend the tubing the sleeve effect of the spring allows it to bend with support to prevent it from kinking but is also pliable because it's a flexible spring.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Professional is relative,I can't speak for the tech. but the tools are capable of doing a good job, but they won't be easy to use necessarily because the tubing is rather stiff. You'll have to learn tricks to using it, for example you don't cut the tubing if there is going to be a bend close to the end as you won't have the leverage on one side to make the bend work.. They may not be easily located there you may have to order a set online and have them shipped but that shouldn't be a massive task or cost, might be easier than seeking them out there honestly.

The way they work is you slide the tubing inside finding the best, snug fit, they wrap the tubing and when you bend the tubing the sleeve effect of the spring allows it to bend with support to prevent it from kinking but is also pliable because it's a flexible spring.

Ok WarpSpeed,

I remember way back when I re-newed the break lines on my 4X4 it was tricky. I got pretty good at jumping up and down, cussing, and throwing my tools around the yard, then cool down over a cold beer. I guess by the "end" of that particular job I was pretty good at it but it's the bits from the "start" that's the problem with these installations.

Well, thanks for the info you guys and should you hear of any of the E-Z-bend stuff available here in BKK, please post here, or better yet send me an e-mail: [email protected]

The search continues for the E-Z-Bend stuff I guess. I really would like to find this stuff here.

Cheers,

Singtoh

I have seen the spring benders at Hardware House.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OP I'm not intending to be pedantic, however when doing internet searches it may help to use the correct spelling: "brake"   

A break is a rest from work.

Bending springs are not generally used with brake piping. A former (manual pipe bender) is also not needed (unless using steel pipe) although can make that under bonnet work look a bit neater.

I'm sure what you need can be easily be found in Th.

Kunifer brake pipe is the product you want.

Example here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kunifer-Brake-Pipe-3-16-034-25ft-With-10-Of-Each-10mm-Male-And-Female-Metric-Unions-/130836686943?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

or elsewhere on Ebay with suppliers who will ship to Asia.

Make sure your fitters remember to slide on the unions before flaring the ends thumbsup.gif

ex garage proprietor

Edited by Lancashirelad
  • Like 1

What you are referring to is known as "kunifer" brake tube. It is a copper alloy (90% copper 10% nickel ) and easily hand bendable. It's available online. The spring benders work well for shallow angles and curves but for exact and repeatable 90 degree bends you really need a mechanical pipe bender to get the best results. Another alternative is stainless tube but it is harder to bend and more costly.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Copper-Nickel-Kunifer-Brake-Pipe-3-16-25ft-BS-EN12449-/310149242876

Indeed, Cunifer is what you need. It fatigues less than Stainless and raw copper, It doesn't corrode as readily as the alternatives, and it is very easy to hand form particularly after a little practice. That last factor does of course depend on the diameter to an extent, so you're going to need to know the diameter. I've worked primarily with 3/16" dia which is very nice to work with. The stuff in the picture 'VocalNeal' posted is very large diameter and also appears to be Stainless which is of course less malleable.  

It's not stainless, stainless is too brittle and inflexible for brakes, it's nickle steel or zinc over steel. I also don't believe he (Neal) meant THAT diameter specifically he was just posting an example and mostly his example is displaying the bender, just as I was not suggesting copper either. I hate it when the locals use copper, it contaminates the fluid and corrodes too quickly causing particles in the fluid which can plug small orifices & sometimes causing blockages as well.. 

Edited by WarpSpeed