Satun

DC1066

I'm going to the south in a couple of weeks to see the gf's family.

Can anyone recommend any good resorts/islands near Satun?

Also, how safe is that area for tourists at the moment given the problems I hear about in the south?

80% Moslem and in the heart of the trouble.

Look at a map!

Actually, if you looked at a map, you would see that Satun is on the Andaman Coast, quite far from Yala and Pattani, and there is in fact little to no trouble there at all.

The main problem the OP would have at this time of year is with the ferries as they do not run very frequently to Ko Lipe etc., due to rough sea conditions.

Also, how safe is that area for tourists at the moment given the problems I hear about in the south?

No problems at all. Even Yala altough seeing soldiers with guns around city it's normal.

Not many farangs around those areas...

Koh Tarutao National Marine Park is supposed to be beautiful. Tarutao is the big island and Lipe is farther beyond. Shouldn't think there'd be any trouble there. Best to go sooner rather than later if they decide to double the NP entrance fee.

Koh Tarutao National Marine Park is supposed to be beautiful. Tarutao is the big island and Lipe is farther beyond. Shouldn't think there'd be any trouble there. Best to go sooner rather than later if they decide to double the NP entrance fee.

Thanks to all.

I've been looking at Tarutao and Lipe, but not sure if there will be anywhere to stay at this time of year. If anyone knows any different, please let me know.

I'm off to Thailand on Monday and spending a few days in Bangkok before heading down there.

You can take a ferry from Satun to Langkawi in malaysia, (just past Tarutao, you can see one from the other).

It's the major holiday spot for Malaysia, and has a lot of hotels, resorts, and the island is all duty free. Spent some good times there a while back.

Most farangs get a visa on arrival, while thai citizens also get a special pass to visit. Immigration is at the port.

You can take a ferry from Satun to Langkawi in malaysia, (just past Tarutao, you can see one from the other).

It's the major holiday spot for Malaysia, and has a lot of hotels, resorts, and the island is all duty free. Spent some good times there a while back.

Most farangs get a visa on arrival, while thai citizens also get a special pass to visit. Immigration is at the port.

Ok, starting to get spoilt for choice now.

Langkawi sounds good; any ideas where to stay (which part of island and which resorts).

You say most farang get visa on arrival - arrival where - at the ferry departure Satun, or on arrival in Malaysia? How does my Thai gf get the special pass? You say immigration is at the port, but I don't want us to get there and one or the other of us turned back - or is this nothing to worry about?

Ok, starting to get spoilt for choice now.

Langkawi sounds good; any ideas where to stay (which part of island and which resorts).

You say most farang get visa on arrival - arrival where - at the ferry departure Satun, or on arrival in Malaysia? How does my Thai gf get the special pass? You say immigration is at the port, but I don't want us to get there and one or the other of us turned back - or is this nothing to worry about?

Nothing to worry about really. I went there with some Thai friends (although we flew to KL first), if your thai girl-friend has a passport, she'll get stamped in on arrival, no visa required, as will you at the immigration counter at the port. If she only has a Thai ID card, she can get a special pass good for a few days. I'm not sure on the details of the latter, so do check into this with immigration if this is the case.

The island itself is not that large, and most of the resorts are along the west coast, all of them are pretty secluded so there's no real tourist area. The main city, and only really developed part of the island is called Kuah.

There are sheraton's and some other high end accomodation on the island. Great diving, and a lot of natural beauty.

• 14 years later...
11 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

I recommend Naris Phu View Resort, about 15 km north of Mueang Satun. Very pleasant little resort with swimming pool.

I bet your girlfriend will love it.

Your around 14 years to late as the post was from 2006, but thank you for the location to visit.  Will do that in the future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1