Confused on the process on getting a work permit / non-b

Hi everybody,

I've just got a letter of offer from a company in Bangkok.

I got together work permit papers and papers to change my tourist visa to a non-b.

Just seeing if anyone can clarify the process if I am supposed to apply for a work permit first or should I change my tourist visa to a non-b first?

Thanks.

Apply Work Permit first, travel out of Thailand with correct paperwork including letter of approval from labour, which will be issued against a successful filing of WP paperwork.

Below is a link to the MFA list of required paperwork for a non immigrant 'B' visa, assuming you are not a teacher then you need the papers listed in section 2.1(1).

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Get 90 day single entry visa, re-enter Thailand, get 90 day non 'b' stamp in your passport, take this to labour and they will complete the Blue Book issue process (TT4).

Once you have the WP you can legally start work.

• Like 2

No. Once Labor gives you the letter, and you have documents from your employer, you must travel out of Tailand, and go to a Consulate for the B.

Last I was in Penang, Malaysia 2 weeks ago it was 1 hour and 45 minutes wait in line so get there right at 9 AM.

Don't forget that syphilis test!!

Edited by EBlair48

I had my tourist visa changed to a "B" at Bangkok immigration. It was a visa not a permission to enter.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This can be done, but the applicant and applicant's company would have to meet all the criteriae of an Extension of Permission to Stay based on Case 2.1 of National Police Order 777/2551 (Working in the Kingdom of Thailand)..

Also I understand that Bangkok Immigration is the only place that you can go to that will do this particular type of conversion (Tourist to non 'b').

I converted my tourist visa (not exemption) to a non-immigrant 'b' visa at Chaeng Wattana without leaving Thailand. It must be possible because I did it. At the time, I was told I needed to have 21 days remaining on the tourist visa. Fortunately, I had that. Otherwise, I was told that I could pay the 1,900 baht for the 30 day extension on my tourist visa which would ensure that 21 days were remaining. I'm not sure if 21 days is still the magic number or not, as I have heard the time period has shortened to a bit less than 21 days. It would be best to get this information directly from immigration. If you haven't extended your tourist visa for an additional 30 days yet, the extension will give you the time required for the conversion.

Your company should sort out all of the paperwork for you. You should not really have to think too much about it or be overly involved with the stacks of paperwork required aside from signing them. Good luck!

Lot of confusion out there now, even at so-called professional law offices! Good advise is to check, check, and double check regulations and paperwork and don't believe the first thing you hear.

Digitalchromakey seems to have it all under control - great post!

One point I know about work permit..... your employer must supply lots of documents and documentation to support your hiring. The load of paper the employer must supply is large and not something you nor your lawyer can easily do... some of the needed info includes details about the employer company that may not be generally known nor knowable to outsiders.

I recommend, and maybe it is mandatory, that you and employer rep both go together in person to get WP.

you need a Non B before applying for a WORK permit!!!!

No, you don't You can and must apply for one before you can get a non-B visa in a neighboring country.

The labour office gives proof that you have applied and once you have the actual non-B visa, with the help of the proof, you go back to the labour office and receive the actual work permit.

No, you don't You can and must apply for one before you can get a non-B visa in a neighboring country.

The labour office gives proof that you have applied and once you have the actual non-B visa, with the help of the proof, you go back to the labour office and receive the actual work permit.

Gone through this procedure like three times. when you go get a non b, they will give you three months first , withing that period you need to get work permit before the visa can be extended to 1 year or according to your contract.

Gone through this procedure like three times. when you go get a non b, they will give you three months first , withing that period you need to get work permit before the visa can be extended to 1 year or according to your contract.

Successful filing of an application for the WP is a prerequisite for most Thai Consulates in SE Asia, but your WP can then be processed for actual issue only once you have got the non 'b' 90 day stamp in your passport.

WP/Visa/extension process is quite different however for teachers.

Edited by digitalchromakey

What is different about teachers? I am currently on a non O with a non profit org. and listed as a guest speaker not a teacher for some reason to do with the WPs. Wanting to change to a Non B and leave the non profit to teach at different companies. What are the possibilities?

What is different about teachers? I am currently on a non O with a non profit org. and listed as a guest speaker not a teacher for some reason to do with the WPs. Wanting to change to a Non B and leave the non profit to teach at different companies. What are the possibilities?

Paperwork required is significantly different for the WP, visa itself and any subsequent extensions of permission to stay.

Also procedures and sequencing/order are different compared to those for non teaching employees.

My understanding is that the process isn't that different for teachers. It only differs in that some teachers need a Teaching License (or waiver of said license) in order to teach in some capacities. Generally, these include schools, both public (government) and private. Teachers at the University level, language centers, or corporate level aren't required to have this license from the TCT. I believe there is also a difference in the salary requirements for the work permit. Teachers can be paid less than those employed in another capacity. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My understanding is that the process isn't that different for teachers. It only differs in that some teachers need a Teaching License (or waiver of said license) in order to teach in some capacities. Generally, these include schools, both public (government) and private. Teachers at the University level, language centers, or corporate level aren't required to have this license from the TCT. I believe there is also a difference in the salary requirements for the work permit. Teachers can be paid less than those employed in another capacity. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Visa paperwork is under MFA 2.4 not 2.1 (1) see link below:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Extension is under Case 2.6 or 2.7 of National Police order 777/2551 depending on whether you teach for a state or private institution.

WP application, you have already cited some of the differences.

For all of the above the application forms themselves remain the same.

Why take the advise of Farangs who will ultimately give you several personal experience ways of solving this problem when a lawyer can sort it out hassle free. maybe it is money issue but that is my advise; so many visa questions here good luck

Apply Work Permit first, travel out of Thailand with correct paperwork including letter of approval from labour, which will be issued against a successful filing of WP paperwork.

Below is a link to the MFA list of required paperwork for a non immigrant 'B' visa, assuming you are not a teacher then you need the papers listed in section 2.1(1).

Get 90 day single entry visa, re-enter Thailand, get 90 day non 'b' stamp in your passport, take this to labour and they will complete the Blue Book issue process (TT4).

Once you have the WP you can legally start work.