Barber shop (and whiskey saloon) in the Conrad hotel

Grindting

Couldn't agree more!

Spent 6 weeks staying at the Conrad when first working in Thailand (Jan/Feb 2013) before a month at the Emporium. The barbers and whiskey bar are fantastic, as is the cigar area. Used it all last year, even after I'd moved into my own apartment.

Friendly staff, good haircut, highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

How much does a haircut cost, excluding drinks? More than 150 baht? (which is what I usually pay and get a free shampoo and massage). And how much do the drinks cost? For spirits, I usually restrict myself to yard ong which I buy on the street for 10 baht a shot. Are they more than that?

Edited by Thainess

I would also like to know what the prices are like. This seems like it could be an interesting experience, and I would like to give it a shot if it isn't prohibitively expensive. I wouldn't mind shelling out a few baht for a nice experience as described, but I am not going to break out the credit card and rack up thousands of baht for a haircut, shave and pull of whiskey!

How much does a haircut cost, excluding drinks? More than 150 baht? (which is what I usually pay and get a free shampoo and massage). And how much do the drinks cost? For spirits, I usually restrict myself to yard ong which I buy on the street for 10 baht a shot. Are they more than that?

You know what they say, if you have to ask you can't afford it

I would also like to know what the prices are like. This seems like it could be an interesting experience, and I would like to give it a shot if it isn't prohibitively expensive. I wouldn't mind shelling out a few baht for a nice experience as described, but I am not going to break out the credit card and rack up thousands of baht for a haircut, shave and pull of whiskey!

You can call the conrad hotel for accurate pricing

But from memory it's 600 baht for a hair cut, 300 for a beard trim, and between 300 to 600 baht for a wet shave depending on what treatments you get. Everything done with a master barber with 50 years experience using traditional techniques, no compromise. And includes massage. There is an extensive list of treatments, but you can get a feel from the above quotes

Whiskeys range from 300 baht to 30,000 or more for 3.5 measure, depending on the whiskey itself. So there is something for everyone. They have some very very old whiskeys and some vary rare. The 3 drams I had were of quite rare from independent bottlings, around the 12 to 18 year range and used predominantly in some big blends. Each were around 350 / 400 baht. I could stay at that price range for a while as their list is very extensive and lots of stuff I've never seen in the UK in a bar at least. Very reasonable and Will Not break the bank at all.

Of course if you really want you can go absolute ballistic and get a few snifters of super old and rare stuff which will set you back a fair few quid. It has a price range acceptable for all real whiskey fans

The beauty of this place is outside of Scotland it's the only bar I've drunk at that serve the whiskeys in proper glencairn whiskey tasting classes rather than the usual tumblers. It's just brilliant

I think I was about 2800 baht all in for a haircut, shampoo, beard trim and 3 whiskeys, wife had a watermelon juice brought in from the lobby and some nibbles for free. What's that, 50 or £60? <deleted> all really. The only compatible experience in the UK is trufit and hill which would be £45 for the haircut, £30 for the beard trim, followed by whiskeys round the corner at the ritz (which do not have anywhere near the level of whiskies as this place)

If you want to treat yourself in Bangkok, go for it. In my opinion for what you get it's an absolute bargain!

Edited by Grindting

You know what they say, if you have to ask you can't afford it

OTOH ...

pamplconrad_zps98630ddb.jpg

I go there just for the cigar selection.

Have you ever seen the dictador XO (silver bottle) available for sale anywhere other than online?

Yes. The Dictador rums are carried at Whisgars on Sukhumvit Soi 23 (in the same building as Guisto Italian Restaurant) or the new one at Ploen Chit in Mahatun Plaza..

My good friend is the Thai importer of Dictador. PM me for more info.

In my not so humble opinion, Whisgars also has a better whiskey and cigar selection than the Conrad too...

The best cigars in the world are not Cuban. Maybe once upon a time, but not today. Cuban cigars are living on past glory and have been for the better part of 20 years.

For those who know...

• Like 1

I think I will pass on this. Rather pay 60 for a hair cut and shave and bring my own whiskey

Yep, I pay 100 baht in Pattaya for traditional barber shop in air-con comfort...any more than that and you're being ripped-off.

If one wants to pay tourist prices then go for it.

I think I will pass on this. Rather pay 60 for a hair cut and shave and bring my own whiskey

Yep, I pay 100 baht in Pattaya for traditional barber shop in air-con comfort...any more than that and you're being ripped-off.

If one wants to pay tourist prices then go for it.

It's good you found a place you like and trust

Why would you consider this barbers for tourists, you saying Bangkok Thais can't afford it? The conrad is hardly a rip off, it's a different experience and completely incomparable. And it certainly isn't 'tourist' prices, as the majority of clientele are Thai. I didn't see any foreigners, only Thai customers.

• Like 1