Actimel & Acidophilus - Available In Phuket?

DD18

Has anyone seen Actimel (probiotic) in the supermarkets? or something similar (Yakult)?

I usually get Acidophilus from health shops in Uk so have no idea where it would be sold in Phuket, don't mind stocking up in bangkok if anyone knows somewhere there?

Any help appreciated, expect enough problems trying to sort out antibiotics and Epilum for my son.

Yakult is easily available, as are many yogurts containing acidophphilus, both from normal supermarkets and health food shops. Yakult, (or Betagen, a local equivalent) is available even in most little minimarts.

Unless things have changed in the last few years you'll have a hard time finding pills or powders in Thailand. Pharmacies may sell some kind of extract, but it seemed pretty heavy duty and is not cheap. So you're only real options may be the yogurts (Bio brand advertises live cultures), the drinking yogurts ("nom bprieow", many varieties), and -- if you're really in a pinch -- kim chee (korean pickeled cabbage).

I don't know where you are based in Phuket but there is a pharmacy near the Chalong circle on the road going to Kata which used to sell small sachets of acidophilus. I went to many places all over the island and this was the only place that even knew what I was talking about.

From the circle, heading to Kata, it is about 100 metres along on the left just past KL mart. There is a signboard outside which says "Pharmacy" in large letters. Good luck.

I've been looking for acidophilus also and have only gotten strange looks from the pharmacies where I have asked for it. Was told to go to a hospital and ask for it at Tesco Lotus pharmacy. Thank you for the info. I will try the pharmacy close to Chalong circle. I am lactose intolerant so the Yakult (had to look that one up with Google) and Yogurt won't work for me - give me intense stomach cramps. Googled Betagen and can't quite figure out what it is. Sports supplement? I'm looking for something to help with digestion.

Skydancer

Thats great, thank you.