Applying for new ED visa but still have valid Tourist Visa

In light of current uncertainty with the visa situation I am planning to get an ED visa to study Thai and see me through until the end of next year whenIi should qualify for a retirement visa. Not doing anything but enjoying Thailand but stuck for now as under 50 with enough cash to live here comfortably enough.

Am currently coming to the end of my 1st 60 day entry on a triple entry tourist visa acquired in Europe. My concern is if I go to Laos and apply for my ED visa will I be refused as I still have 2 valid tourist entries to go on my tourist visa? I know I will be wasting those entries but am willing to do that to make my stay in Thailand more stable for the coming year.

As an aside I have been told that if I extend my 60 day TV at Immigration for a further 30 days they will stamp my 2nd TV entry as used leaving me with just 1 entry remaining? In the past I never heard of this.

Appreciate any comments/feedback on these issues. Thanks.

You will not have a problem because you will be applying for a different class of visa than you have now.

They will not cancel you 2nd entry when you apply for an extension.. I just can't imagine how somebody came up with such nonsense.

• Like 1

You will not have a problem because you will be applying for a different class of visa than you have now.

They will not cancel you 2nd entry when you apply for an extension.. I just can't imagine how somebody came up with such nonsense.

Thanks for that reassurance ubonjoe. Do you think I might encounter any additional scrutiny coming back to Thailand having 2 classes of valid visa?

On the TV stamps, yes didn't sound right to me either but came from 2 separate credible language school sources and I was clear and questioned it. I have heard of IOs in the past only giving extensions of e.g.14 days when expecting 30 but never nicking an entry. Hope it is nonsense and just a misunderstanding.

The embassy should put a cancelled stamp on your tourist visa. But if they don't immigration would probably not notice it or would just say nothing.

You might want to look for a different school it they were the ones telling you that nonsense.

I have never heard of immigration ever giving less than 30 days for tourist visa entry extension. Perhaps somebody was calling a border entry an extension (some do).

What he said.

It is a good idea to get the paperwork started on an ED visa well before your current visa runs out anyway.