Not Enough Time On My Visa Left To Receive My Provisional TL?

Hello,

Just received all the needed documents and will have to drive to Bangkok to get my provisional TL on Monday. One problem is that I’ve got only 10 days left.

Did anybody on this forum ever experience something similar? My plan is be in Bangkok at Khurusapha by Monday morning, then trying to get my provisional TL.

I've read that you'll have to have 30 days being on a Non-B visa. Are there exceptions, especially when you go there in person? I assume the 30 days is mandatory, when doing it by post.

Any advice/ experience regarding that matter will be deeply appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

​ P.S. Dear mods. I'd posted this question also at visa and work permit section, but thought it might be better here. .

It takes about ten days to get the provisional TL aka a "waiver". You won't be getting it there while you wait. I'm not sure if the VISA status has anything to do with it. I doubt it. Calling them with a question like that would be fruitless. The answer wouldn't matter once you did arrive and submitted your documents. It as usual depends on the mood of the Thai person. The 30 days I think you refer to is in writing however I know of several cases where those requirements in general aren't followed. Bring a copy of your letter in re the VISA request from the school as a back up or proof.

Edited by BruceMangosteen
  • Like 1

What is a TL? Why can you not say what it is instead of using initials? This happens far too often on this forum. It is so lazy.

If you don't recognize what the initials are you probably have no clue and shouldn't be answering his question anyway.

• Like 1

What is a TL? Why can you not say what it is instead of using initials? This happens far too often on this forum. It is so lazy.

TL equals Teachers License, and the "Provisional" means as the word indicates, permission to teach issue by the governing authority to the individual teacher and more important, to the school to hire said "teacher" and most of all, allows the "teacher" to get a WP aka Work Permit (along with other paperwork) and work(teach) legally in the Kingdom without the fear of getting arrested, poked in the arse for a few months and using other inmates feet as a pillow, then deported. You do lose weight in a Thai jail so if you are overweight, a cheap way to rid yourself of said kilos. You may come out with HIV and scabies and lice but at least you would be back home as long as you have a generous embassy to buy you a ticket.

The "Provisional" aspect are always variable and change depending on the mood of both the school and the TCT(Teachers Council of Thailand). I now know of at least one "teacher" who got a WP without the TCT letter and no degree so all my previous statements to the contrary seem to be null and void.

• Like 1

TL equals Teachers License, and the "Provisional" means as the word indicates, permission to teach issue by the governing authority to the individual teacher and more important, to the school to hire said "teacher" and most of all, allows the "teacher" to get a WP aka Work Permit (along with other paperwork) and work(teach) legally in the Kingdom without the fear of getting arrested, poked in the arse for a few months and using other inmates feet as a pillow, then deported. You do lose weight in a Thai jail so if you are overweight, a cheap way to rid yourself of said kilos. You may come out with HIV and scabies and lice but at least you would be back home as long as you have a generous embassy to buy you a ticket.

The "Provisional" aspect are always variable and change depending on the mood of both the school and the TCT(Teachers Council of Thailand). I now know of at least one "teacher" who got a WP without the TCT letter and no degree so all my previous statements to the contrary seem to be null and void.

if the topic had been about education or schools, I would have known right away what TL was.

• Like 2

It takes about ten days to get the provisional TL aka a "waiver". You won't be getting it there while you wait. I'm not sure if the VISA status has anything to do with it. I doubt it. Calling them with a question like that would be fruitless. The answer wouldn't matter once you did arrive and submitted your documents. It as usual depends on the mood of the Thai person. The 30 days I think you refer to is in writing however I know of several cases where those requirements in general aren't followed. Bring a copy of your letter in re the VISA request from the school as a back up or proof.

Thanks a lot. I was there 4 years ago, submitted all my documents, asked the woman if I could pick it up on the same day. She said if her boss wouldn't go to a seminar, I could pick it up in the afternoon.

The fact that she'd [promised me to send it within 12 days to my school seemed to be okay and I drove back. And that was still in times, where they needed many moons to prozess that little piece of paper, we all need, instead of sleeping on somebody's feet.....

Then nothing happened for another three months, until our director phoned a "friend" there and we ( another guy had sent his documents via post ) received out provisional TL within three working days.

If there's a chance to wait for it, even staying there a night, or two, I'll do so.

The reason why i wrote this post is easy to understand. Just wanted to know if anybody could wait for the waiver, of course depending on their work load. If not then off to Laos again. Thanks for any ideas/ thoughts, as we ll need help from time to time.

All my documents are sitting at the labor department, it might be possible to achieve. Will try and worst case scenario would be to go to Sawannakhet again, just read they do it within one day now.

Edited by lostinisaan

What is TL? TL is "Talk Later" or "True Love" or "Team Leader" or "Teacher's License" or " Tits & Lies".

That's from a website, I'd just checked on. I know that you're teaching, the topic is in the teaching forum, but you're asking what TL means?

And that together with the word "provisional". Is there something in Thailand like a provisional love? We all know the answer...facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

If you don't recognize what the initials are you probably have no clue and shouldn't be answering his question anyway.

TIT

• Like 2

I don't like a lot of initials either unless/until the full word has been used in a thread. We do have new posters and all the initials can be confusing.

Along time ago, when I was new to the forum, it was very confusing.

So when GJ came to LOS, did he get his TL from MOE before the MOL gave him his WP? It was a case of TIT.

For a newbie they might think they fell into a can of alphabet soup.

The GI came to LOS, met his GF, flew to CM, but forgot his CV that was meant to give to the HRM. Then ID complained about the missing TM 7, which the OP had messed up.

Unfortunately, the guy from the TCT didn't do enough PE and the ELT become more important than the ESL. They finally decided to use EFL.

The HOD at the school was not happy that he had an ED visa, sent him to the LD to apply for a WP. Immigration wanted to see the new TM 47, while the GI still had to get a MC from a clinic

Still easier to understand than an e-mail coming from the TCT, written by a guy who's working for the English section. LOL.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

Hi, I went to T.C.T four weeks ago for the same thing. You will receive a receipt stating that your license will be sent to your place of work within 1 week and 10 days. (cutting it fine). Good luck

Which wouldn't be enough time, as my visa will expire on August, 4th. I might consider to "help" the guy a little bit out at the TCT.

Lingerie for a female TCT worker, Whiskey for a male. Gotta read the lingerie thread on Isaan forum again, seems to be a sampler though.

All the docs are ready at the labor, they're awaiting the letter. One night in Bangkok wouldn't be too bad, if they'd tell me that I can pick it up the next day.

Will try and post it. Nothing is impossible in LOS.

Edited by lostinisaan

One of the Chinese teachers from my school came to BKK to personally apply for his teacher's licence, he received it the following day I think.

Although his degree was from MSU (Maha Sarakham University), so was probably very easy for them to verify.

This would have been around 2 years ago, so things might have changed since then.

If they dont give you the waver in time you will probably have to go back to Laos or somewhere and get a new non B. You might under the circumstances be able to get a 30 day extension at immigration but this is just a wild guess. The school should have done this for you ages ago. It is possible to get the waver on the day but you may need someone from the school with you to do this. Our director went to Bangkok and got wavers for two teachers on the same day a few weeks ago.

Good luck, the paper trail goes on.

• Like 1

One of the Chinese teachers from my school came to BKK to personally apply for his teacher's licence, he received it the following day I think.

Although his degree was from MSU (Maha Sarakham University), so was probably very easy for them to verify.

This would have been around 2 years ago, so things might have changed since then.

Last year it was the same, if you apply in person and pick it up in person it is very fast.

• Like 1

Last year it was the same, if you apply in person and pick it up in person it is very fast.

Thanks a lot, will sit on the train tonight and see them tomorrow morning.. Will post what happens.

Holy buffaloes... was there yesterday morning and arrived at the TCT even before they opened their counters. Took my number and waited about 15 minutes only.

There's a guy at counter # 8, which is for foreign teachers, always wearing gloves. Seldom met such an unfriendly guy before. Then he looked at my degree, Nooooooo education. You must have one, you're on your second already Nooooooooooooooooo.

Then trying to make him understand that "social pedagogy's" a sort of education related, he was asking an older woman. She looked at the Thai translation, but had never seen one of that particular university from Germany.

Then they'd sent me to a young one, cool easygoing, checking the university, which was of course written in German.

She tells me that I'll be able to pick up my 3rd !! provisional in the afternoon at 1 pm. She'll check on it, if I'm entitled for a 5 year license.

Okay, so i came back in the afternoon, again the unfriendly guy with his gloves. No way to even ask him something. The waiver's good for another two years and still enough time to receive my work permit, then visa. LD are only waiting for me to submit this document.

Thought about it if the gloved guy would have had the power to make a decision. There'd have been no way. Glad that my wife prayed for me before i left.

*Information edited out, per OP's request*

Thanks for all the posters who wished we good luck. Combined the trip with one night in Bangkok. Cheers-thumbsup.gif

Edited by Scott

Congratulations. There are teachers who were refused a third provisional teaching permit.

Thanks a lot, really appreciated.

One significant reason might have been that i still had a valid provisional TL, good until May next year, but changed school in May. ( My 2nd)

They'd already told me that when staying at my former school would entitle me for a third, fourth....( was there for almost four years)

Most foreigners will receive a third/ fourth provisional TL, when working at the same school for a few years.

I know a few who were refused, but they had very "fishy" degrees. And a strange past with many years in prison.

Cheers-facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan