Fishing in Khon Kaen or Mukdahan

eng911

I'm going to be in Thailand for a month of vacation. I've already done all the tourist stuff on many previous trips.

I really enjoy fishing. Any fellow Farang fishermen out there? How's the fishing action in the northeast?

I'll be in Khon Kaen mostly and a little visit to Mukdahan. I'll be there for all of October.

Any suggestions? I'll be bring my own gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'm going to be in Thailand for a month of vacation. I've already done all the tourist stuff on many previous trips.

I really enjoy fishing. Any fellow Farang fishermen out there? How's the fishing action in the northeast?

I'll be in Khon Kaen mostly and a little visit to Mukdahan. I'll be there for all of October.

Any suggestions? I'll be bring my own gear.

Just read your post. I am fairly new to Isaan (6 months), but enjoy every day of village life. Suffering to day with sore throat etc, so first time for ages not out and about.

Hence catching up on Internet stuff.

Here in the villages around Nakhon Phanom, there are many lakes both private and owned by the village. Some no bigger than ponds but they hold some good sized fish.

Fishing here is for food and "Fish Ins" as I call them tend to happen outside the rainy season. Many locals fish in the rainy season as the rivers and lakes swell and burst their banks. I am amazed how many fish are caught in these conditions.

But, back to Fish Ins, these tend to be organised and last for a morning or so. Everyone uses throw nets or 4 cornered nets on bamboo poles.

They are great fun to attend or take part in. The locals fish from the banks, from floated out rubber inner tubes or from sitting stools, with legs the depth of the lake.. 2-3 metres.

If you get a chance, as a different experience, talk to the locals in the villages near where you will be staying (via a friend if your Thai is not up to it) and you will be made to feel so welcome.

Be prepared to drink 40 degree and eat and share what you catch. You will be overwhelmed with hospitality and people patiently trying to teach you the art of Thai fishing....

G

I live about an hour from K K and would be up for a bit of fishing. Have fished the lake in KK video a number of times. Stocked with big cats, catch and release . A bit of fun, there is a resaraunt there and have some shaded table areas. Give me a PM if you like and maybe we can meet up

Cheers

You're getting great responses here, but don't forget there's a fishing forum on the Thai Visa site.

Sadly, the Fishing Forum suffers from occasional trolling that has nothing to do with catching fish, but a great resource nonetheless.

This sounds great. As time nears I will try to work out a date and time. I'll bring my gear. I've been catching some bass here at the local lake and a nice pike the other day. post-15633-14076279833975_thumb.jpg

post-15633-14076280148338_thumb.jpgpost-15633-14076280445597_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Ps: I'll check out the fishing forum too.

Where is your local lake? I share a place with my sisters on Lake Vernon in Huntsville. Many years ago I had the distinction of catching the first pike on the lake. I didn't know what the heck it was. Hope to get back next August for some lake time. I just wish their summer was as warm as our raining season.

• 1 month later...

I fish out at Lake Niapenco mostly, near Hamilton, Ontario or on Lake Ontario and its tributaries. I'm counting the days until vacation. I'm there for the month of October. I'm hoping I can stand the heat long enough to do some fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Before Muk became so popular, I used to have a permanent live on fishing raft anchored 2kms down stream from Muk, used to get out there until 2 001 for at least 8 weeks every year , fishing was great,used to allow friends to use it free of charge when I wasback in Aus, a certain US bar owner wanted to permanently rent it but I refused, then it mysteriously burnt down, I still fish in the same area once a year especially as there are a couple of really good Carp holes in the area!!have often thought of starting up a fishing club , based on my local knowledge gathered over the last 50 years fishing between Amnat and Muk, but more to that when I come out for 3 months in march

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've made it to Mukdahan. I had to leave my fishing gear at home due to my wife's 3 bags at 20kg each. LoL

The trip is about her family not my fishing.

We went into town today. Some big dragon boat thing is on. Thousands on the waterfront. Laotian's have invaded Big C via every possible transportation means you can think of. They are officially in charge of Big C.

Is this a holiday or something? It's Wednesday.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a park with Largemouth Bass (Scientific name: Micropterus salmoides). It is not native of Thailand, but thrives in the Southern United States, so I would think it would do okay in Isaan. I think I read somewhere that somebody was raising them.