Free Satalite Channels with modern HDTV

Bmouthboyo

OK so I am a bit confused with the free TV channels the Thais get. I know they are in Thai but it is always good for a bit of background noise for the dog and I like the Muay Thai.

Basically the landlord of the house I rent said he has a dish he will install but I need to buy the receiver. Now I have a Samsung F7100 HDTV which accepts the coax satellite dish cable input with the screw on part and has a built in DVB receiver.

In the UK i used to hook the satellite straight up into the TV for freesat but in this house the landlord has fitted the house with the older Ariel style sockets, so I assume he intends the dish to supply those with a signal. Can I use these pre-wired old style sockets to carry the signal from the dish to the in built DVB receiver on my TV with some form of adapter or are the 2 setups completely different?

I am a bit confused as to:

A) Can I get around having to buy a Set Top Box / Receiver for my TV??

B) Can you get free channels using a satellite dish or would that need an old school Ariel?

Cheers

What type of service does your TV accept?

DVB/C2 Digital Cable

DVB/S2 Digital Satellite

DVB/T2 Digital Terestrial (Over the Air)

The Free Channels are delivered over DVB/T2, but these are also simulcast by Thai Satellite and Cable TV providers (though, not always in the clear as those companies send the FTA channels as part of their encoded/encrypted signals and require their proprietary Set Top Box to decode/decrypt)

According to a specs sheet for your TV it contains a "DTV Tuner/Digital Cable and Tuner/Analog Tuner", so digital cable TV tuner and Analog TV tuner [analog TV service no longer used in Thailand as of this year] So... probably NEED to use an external DVB/S2 Satellite Set Top Box to tune channels.

Connecting multiple receivers to the same dish:

If the Satellite LNB has TWO/TWIN outputs then you could connect two receivers, or utilize a additional sat 'Switch' that allows multiple receivers to look at the same satellite. You cannot use 'signal splitters', the cable has to run directly from the DVB/S2 STB to either a sat Switch or to the LNB Feed.

3x8_diagramLGDDDD.jpg?t=1311812162