Driving to Lao from Chiang Mai

ianf

My Thai wife and I are thinking about travelling to Luang Prabang (etc) but driving from Chiang Mai where we live.

Has anyone any info on:

1. Best crossing point

2. What paperwork is needed for the car

3. Visa situation for wifey & I

4. Anything else????

Thanks for the help

Luang Prabang is a nice place to visit, but driving yourself to Luang Prabang and beyond doesn't sound very practical. For one thing they drive on the right side of the road so you'll have to deal with that. And I'd thing a farang driving a car with a Thai license would be a prime target for people with less than honorable intentions. Further road conditions and infrastructure overall are generally below Thai standards..

Laos Airlines flies direct Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang every afternoon. It's an inexpensive one hour flight. By road driving it has to be a 2 day trip.

• Like 1

Well…. I guess flying is cheap if you compare it with one hour North American flights but a return flight is still probably going to cost 12,000 baht. Compare that with a return flight to Bangkok (also one hour) and it's actually quite expensive. I'd still take that over trying to drive my own vehicle.

This trip is very doable regardless of the no sayers and their inaccurate comments. Info on this at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/721639-driving-through-cambodia-laos-and-vietnam-with-a-thai-car-and-driving-license/. Pay attention to post #7 and phucketrichard. The closes crossing to Chiang Mai is The Thai/Lao Friendship Bridge #4 at Huay Xai. GPS 20.214643, 100.451603 photos on GE. Due your research and have a great trip.

• Like 2

I drove into Laos several years ago - much greater freedom and chance for adventure - getting the paperwork for the truck was pretty straight forward - the speed limit then was 50km/h and I got caught out almost immediately so watch out for that close to border crossings.

Luang Prabang is a nice enough spot but to have your own transport and ability to venture further afield and stop where you want is a definite advantage.

I drove into Laos several years ago - much greater freedom and chance for adventure - getting the paperwork for the truck was pretty straight forward - the speed limit then was 50km/h and I got caught out almost immediately so watch out for that close to border crossings.

Luang Prabang is a nice enough spot but to have your own transport and ability to venture further afield and stop where you want is a definite advantage.

I had heard the area around Luang Prabang was great for bicycling.

I drove my Honda Click from Chiang Mai to Vientiane, two weeks ago and am now in Vientiane. I crossed over in Loei province.

This is my second time driving my scooter from Thailand into Laos, the first time was from Bangkok crossing near Pakse in the south.

The road is very poor in northern Laos and I was going around 20-30 kph in many spots, unpaved and tons of potholes, but my 2008 Click scooter held up. Other than that, you should not have many problems, I am thinking with a car it will be even easier than with my motorbike. Just bring your passport and the greenbook for the vehicle. You have to pay a negligible amount, something like 200 baht if I recall correctly, and they give your vehicle 30 days after which time the fines are steep at 1000 baht per day, so be sure to get it out before then.

There is a lot of information on the Laos-Thai crossings on another forum that I am not allowed to mention as per ThaiVisa rules. PM me if you want the link or I can help further.

Edited by DavidMavec
  • Like 2

I drove from CM to Laos in my van, crossed over at Huay Xai Friendship Bridge (5 1/2 drive). When I applied and picked up the paperwork (car passport) they never told me there was also a new license plate issued in English to be used there. I only found out when I got back and picked it up but had not problems driving with my Thai plate or any other problems in Laos. I only drove as far as Luang Namtha and the roads were great as they seemed to be built for transport to China. Asking there I was told that the roads on to Luang Prabang are not very good and w/o a 4 wheel drive I decided not to risk damaging my new vehicle. I originally planned on going last rainy season but as I didn't know about the road conditions I waited till March. Turns out the road passed Luang Namtha got washed out with an entire village during last rainy season. If your not planning on cycling the whole way (smile.png ) I highly advise to bring a bicycle, Mt Bike preferably, as I did and take morning rides, it's absolutely beautiful! If you want another option there is a slow boat to Luang Prabang from the border too.

ianf, my friends who have a cycle tour company in S.E. Asia and have written books on the subject are coming to Thailand to ride Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang (see their route in map below). This is just a personal ride for them but if your interested I can ask them when they are finished about the road conditions and anything else you'd like. Very experienced, knowledgable, intelligent and sensible travelers.

post-101742-0-57167100-1406591951_thumb.

There is a new border crossing out side Loei the Tha Li Border Crossing, GPS 17.6905, 101.394667 Its fully operational both sides. A new bridge across the Mekong, GPSfrom:19.431417, 101.835762 (Tha Deua,Mekong Crossing,บ้านท่าเดื่อ,Laos,ลาว) makes this 320 km road trip on highway 4 in Lao from Loei to Luang Prabang possible. BTW this bridge is not part of the friendship bridges of Thai/Lao. this route is 100% inside Lao.

Edited by khwaibah

Luang Prabang is a nice place to visit, but driving yourself to Luang Prabang and beyond doesn't sound very practical. For one thing they drive on the right side of the road so you'll have to deal with that. And I'd thing a farang driving a car with a Thai license would be a prime target for people with less than honorable intentions. Further road conditions and infrastructure overall are generally below Thai standards..

Laos Airlines flies direct Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang every afternoon. It's an inexpensive one hour flight. By road driving it has to be a 2 day trip.

" And I'd thing a farang driving a car with a Thai license would be a prime target for people with less than honorable intentions"

What utter c**p!! I have been living and driving in Laos for 10 years and never once had any (major) problems.

You have obviously never been to Laos.

" And I'd thing a farang driving a car with a Thai license would be a prime target for people with less than honorable intentions"

What utter c**p!! I have been living and driving in Laos for 10 years and never once had any (major) problems.

To second what the above user says, in my experience from spending time in Laos, Lao people are warmer, more genuine, more generous, less xenophobic, and less about getting money from farangs than Thai people to a long shot. I would take Laos over Thailand any day.

BTW. It can be driven in one day from Chiang Mai.wink.png

Must not have debt out on the car...ownership book

Vehicle must be in your or your partners name and that person must be with the vehicle.

Ignore khwaibah's post. I have driven both my truck and motorcycle, both registered in my name, to Laos several times and had nothing but the best experience.

Have no idea about the debt issue.

Local motorcycle forums (GTRider.com and RideAsia.net) I find are the best places to find out what documents to prepare and bring - bring plenty of photo copies as advised of necessary documents, and have a fabulous trip.

Edited by Fishenough