M.L. Panadda inspects southern rice stocks

Lite Beer

M.L. Panadda inspects southern rice stocks

SONGKLA, 27 July 2014, (NNT) - According to the Permanent Secretary of the Prime Minister’s Office, M.L. Panadda Dissakul, 5% of the stockpiled rice in the nation’s warehouses has gone missing, while some of the warehouses have been using below average preservative agents.

The comment came after the recent inspections of Yingcharoen Silo in Had Yai District, and Poonsap Warehouse in Muang District. The storage sites hold a combined 62,000 sacks of rice, matching the records. Initially, the officials deemed the rice to be of acceptable quality, however further examination is needed to finalize the analysis.

The Secretary General has pointed out that various warehouses have been using below average preservation agents, leading to a deterioration of grain. He said steps needed to be taken to resolve the issue, suggesting the Commerce Ministry would likely be tasked to formulate such measures.

M.L. Panadda also noted that, the amount of rice missing from various warehouses throughout the nation would be more than the 5% already recorded.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-27 footer_n.gif

There has to be a lot more than 5 % of rice stocks missing,as maybe more than

that would have be lost through vermin,birds and insects eating the rice,then

you have the rats that drive trucks,the rice that was paid for but was never there,

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

you have the rats that drive trucks,the rice that was paid for but was never there,

Very weird indeed. A newspaper that is not The Nation is reporting that the 2nd Army itself (Northeast) is reporting that they have finished inspecting all the warehouses they are going to inspect, 297 of them, and they have found 0.018% of rice missing and 0.08% damaged by flooding.
That makes you wonder if the army and rice merchants are holding steady on their longtime deal.

Very weird indeed. A newspaper that is not The Nation is reporting that the 2nd Army itself (Northeast) is reporting that they have finished inspecting all the warehouses they are going to inspect, 297 of them, and they have found 0.018% of rice missing and 0.08% damaged by flooding.

That makes you wonder if the army and rice merchants are holding steady on their longtime deal.

I saw that.

This is way to small a discrepancy to accuse anyone of stealing anything. The bugs have eaten more than this.

I saw that.

This is way to small a discrepancy to accuse anyone of stealing anything. The bugs have eaten more than this.

That would be 297 out of 1800 or so.

Anyway, I wonder about the (alleged) deal Wanda is referring to. Probably just a long time obfuscation attempt.

I saw that.

Whats so weird about that ?

Cant you understand that the Northeast is only a part of the country and that overall :

M.L. Panadda also noted that, the amount of rice missing from various warehouses throughout the nation would be more than the 5% already recorded.

Then of course what they find missing now is only from what is storage at the time of the inspections and does not (can not) take into account what has gone missing in the previous years.

Clutching at any grain of news in an attempt to minimize what is in deed a huge rip off of the country and the people will not work in the long run, in a few months it will all be correlated and the full enormity will be there for all to see but I suppose there will still be those who try to defend.

I saw that.

Cant you understand that the Northeast is only a part of the country and that overall :

Then of course what they find missing now is only from what is storage at the time of the inspections and does not (can not) take into account what has gone missing in the previous years.

Clutching at any grain of news in an attempt to minimize what is in deed a huge rip off of the country and the people will not work in the long run, in a few months it will all be correlated and the full enormity will be there for all to see but I suppose there will still be those who try to defend.

Plus of course, the other 1800 - 297 warehouses make up for the 'tiny' amount missing in the 297 in NorthEast.

BTW what percentage of the yearly rice harvest is coming from NorthEast ?

I saw that.

That would be 297 out of 1800 or so.

Anyway, I wonder about the (alleged) deal Wanda is referring to. Probably just a long time obfuscation attempt.

That is 297 covering an entire region. The north east. No idea what the deal is.

I guess they haven't completed the other area completely. But they are still miles away from their reported missing 3mn tonnes

I saw that.

Only a part. Well its a fairly whopping big area of the country which was also staunch Thaksin, so one would expect to have found something there.

At the end of it, reporting 0.00???? missing, suggests no discrepancy at all. Let's see whether they can find this 3mn tonne hole they talked about.

That is 297 covering an entire region. The north east. No idea what the deal is.

I guess they haven't completed the other area completely. But they are still miles away from their reported missing 3mn tonnes

It depends a bit on how much rice from the 2011/2014 pledging period is still supposed to be in government stock.

Of course still no details as to that.

It depends a bit on how much rice from the 2011/2014 pledging period is still supposed to be in government stock.

They keep saying 18mn tonnes. That was in orzya.com as the figure, so that is the in-trade figure.

They keep saying 18mn tonnes. That was in orzya.com as the figure, so that is the in-trade figure.

As a mere figure it's worthless I'm afraid, at the most an indication.

The 2011/2012 period saw the government buy 23 million tonnes of paddy, 2012/2013 24 million tonnes, 2013/2014 seems anybodies guess, maybe 14++ million. That means 61++ million tonnes of paddy bought by the government. With say 40% reduction that would mean 39++ million tonnes of rice (reduction seems between 30 - 40%).

Assuming these figures are correct and I have no way to prove these are, that would mean with 18 million tonnes of rice still supposed to be in stock, the government only sold 21 million tonnes in 2-1/2 years. That would include both domestic sales as well as export.

Somehow that doesn't seem to properly add up to make sense. Must be my figures. Mind you if only the Yingluck government had been transparent, accountable, etc. in their extra-parliamentary RPPS I would need to do such guestimates.

As a mere figure it's worthless I'm afraid, at the most an indication.

The 2011/2012 period saw the government buy 23 million tonnes of paddy, 2012/2013 24 million tonnes, 2013/2014 seems anybodies guess, maybe 14++ million. That means 61++ million tonnes of paddy bought by the government. With say 40% reduction that would mean 39++ million tonnes of rice (reduction seems between 30 - 40%).

Assuming these figures are correct and I have no way to prove these are, that would mean with 18 million tonnes of rice still supposed to be in stock, the government only sold 21 million tonnes in 2-1/2 years. That would include both domestic sales as well as export.

Somehow that doesn't seem to properly add up to make sense. Must be my figures. Mind you if only the Yingluck government had been transparent, accountable, etc. in their extra-parliamentary RPPS I would need to do such guestimates.

One kilogramme of paddy only makes 600 grammes of processed.

Matching the 18mn tonnes back to the total purchase up front is virtually impossible other than to trust the figures.

Wasn't their record export 9mn tonnes. But that dropped with the system to 5 or 6. So four years at 5 mn = 20 mn. Give or take a bit here and there. 24 or 25 mn?

Edited by Thai at Heart

Wasn't their record export 9mn tonnes. But that dropped with the system to 5 or 6. So four years at 5 mn = 20 mn. Give or take a bit here and there. 24 or 25 mn?

No it wasn't. No it didn't. "5 or 6", where do you get that completely wrong figure? "Four years"? Where did that gigo come from?

It's just this sort of absolute drivel that feeds the Official Thai Visa Rice-Fact Threshing Machine - total vindication of the geeks' garbage in-garbage out theorem.

• Like 1