Chiang Mai Drones for Dummies

mesquite

And I'm the dummy...

Can anyone give information on the best type of drone to learn on, and where in Chiang Mai it might be purchased?

Any other basic information would be appreciated.

The level of expertise I have now is that if you put a bicycle and a drone next to each other, I could identify the drone. That's about it.

the DJI Phantom Vision 2 is the one to go for.

Very nice and easy to use. They also have lots of videos on YouTube about how to get started setting it all up and how to fly it which are great.

Just on a side note, my friend here in Hua Hin has a DJI Phantom Vision 2 and was regularly flying it around the local area or at least he was until last week.

Completely out of the blew he was summoned to the police station to explain what he was doing with drone, where he bought it from etc.

The police in Hua Hin told him that in order to fly such a device in Thailand you need a license and that he also isn't allowed to fly it within 30km of the city centre. Failure to adhere to the rules is a 20k THB fine or upto 5 years in prison!!

Not sure if this is just HH or nationwide but the police here told him these are the rules now enforced by the military.

• Like 1

I don't know any other aviation professional that refers to UAV's as "drone", it really is a misnomer that means something else. Unfortunately it appears to have stuck firm in the US. ICAO refers to unmanned aerial vehicles as RPA (remotely piloted aircraft).

• Like 1

It's probably only a matter of time before Thailand catches up with the 'Real World'--where flying anything in the sky is regulated--licences, permits, etc... will finally be the norm. Until then, though, it must be great fun.

I know that there are RC plane flying clubs around here, as a friend's son used to fly them, so maybe contacting one of these clubs would be a good starting point--if any regulations are in the pipeline they would, surely, be in the loop?

Edited by haybilly
  • Like 1

Thanks CNN for your accuracy. Read closely and it said the violating UAV looked like an F-4 Phantom, it was probably a jet powered RC aircraft, not one of these so-called "drones" one sees hovering about more lately.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

There are many online and brick and mortar shops, probably HobbyKing the most well known online shop.

A good part of the fun is building them from kits although ready to fly is an option too for people who want to be in the air right away, besides the multirotors, all kinds of planes and helicopters are great fun to build or assemble also a wide range of UAV or FPV electronics are available.

Would be nice to start a club of our own, any takers? :-)

post-166262-0-74045900-1412223804_thumb.

Edited by Rimbuman
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Very nice and easy to use. They also have lots of videos on YouTube about how to get started setting it all up and how to fly it which are great.

Just on a side note, my friend here in Hua Hin has a DJI Phantom Vision 2 and was regularly flying it around the local area or at least he was until last week.

Completely out of the blew he was summoned to the police station to explain what he was doing with drone, where he bought it from etc.

The police in Hua Hin told him that in order to fly such a device in Thailand you need a license and that he also isn't allowed to fly it within 30km of the city centre. Failure to adhere to the rules is a 20k THB fine or upto 5 years in prison!!

Not sure if this is just HH or nationwide but the police here told him these are the rules now enforced by the military.

That might be because of the proximity to the Kings Summer Palace.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That might be because of the proximity to the Kings Summer Palace.

Almost certainly.