I'm flying to Scotland with the family for the first time. Advice on airline

Franky Bear

I've booked my flights through Ebookers with KLM. We fly end of next month. They have allocated us seats already. The long haul from Bkk to Amsterdam they have two of us next to each other and the other 15 rows away. Will i be able to change those seats so we are all together or is there some sort of rule that you can't change seats because you booked through a third party? 

I've had major problems with seat assignments via third party sites.  Most airlines won't do anything.  Maybe KLM will.  It's worth a shot.  Worst case, get to the airport early and see if they can re-arrange you.  Many times they are able to do so, especially if the flight is not too full.

You could try checking this out http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/prepare_for_travel/on_board/your_seat_on_board/select_your_seat.htm

I flew Air France/KLM a couple of years ago, bought the ticket at a travel agent and then picked my seat online.  You can also 'check-in' online for your flight about 24 hours before it is due to leave.

I've had major problems with seat assignments via third party sites.  Most airlines won't do anything.  Maybe KLM will.  It's worth a shot.  Worst case, get to the airport early and see if they can re-arrange you.  Many times they are able to do so, especially if the flight is not too full.

They got back to me right away on twitter. They will move us...but for a fee 

You check in online from up to 24 - 36 hours in advance. However with flights being full at this time of the year your chances of being able to sit in a row of 4 is unlikely. The BKK - AMS leg is in a Boeing 777 with a 3-4-3 configuration. No disrespect to you but one of my pet hates is passengers on aircraft before take off playing seat chess in order to sit together. 

You check in online from up to 24 - 36 hours in advance. However with flights being full at this time of the year your chances of being able to sit in a row of 4 is unlikely. The BKK - AMS leg is in a Boeing 777 with a 3-4-3 configuration. No disrespect to you but one of my pet hates is passengers on aircraft before take off playing seat chess in order to sit together. 

I'm afraid this is the most likely scenario but you never know.

• Like 1

Which is why i'd rather be set before we go mate. Trust me, i fly long haul to my work and back twice a month for the last 10 years so i am very set in my ways when it comes to traveling. The ironic thing is you are lucky if i have booked my own flights 8 times in my life. Work normally do it for me. 

Also, and i don't want to go too deep. The process with me getting to Scotland with my Mrs and kid started April. My daughter didn't have any passport, my Mrs Thai one was out of date. It's been a nightmare getting to here, trust me, so be able to do this now for 30 Euro is not something that will bother me at all.

KLM offer a premium seat that has extra leg room which is a shade over £100 each way....If you get the front of this row at each side its bulkhead with huge leg room.

Everything else is economy about it but worthwhile if you like to stretch out....much less still than most airline Premium Economy.

Amsterdam Schiphol is an old airport, though well planned. Allow yourself at least 1.5 hours for the change of aircraft since it is a long walk and there are no moving walkways.

If you check in on line you may be able to change seats in the website. Failing that, speak to the cabin staff on boarding.

Amsterdam Schiphol is an old airport, though well planned. Allow yourself at least 1.5 hours for the change of aircraft since it is a long walk and there are no moving walkways.

If you check in on line you may be able to change seats in the website. Failing that, speak to the cabin staff on boarding.

Lots of moving walkways at Schiphol, On the flight movements signs they give approximate walking times between gates.

Amsterdam is my favourite airport as there is no problems with finding somewhere to have a beer, everywhere is within walking distance and it's a simple layout. Much worse than de Gaulle or Heathrow or even the ME airlines where queuing can be a nightmare. Won't even mention Delhi or Mumbai. 

KLM offer a premium seat that has extra leg room which is a shade over £100 each way....If you get the front of this row at each side its bulkhead with huge leg room.

Everything else is economy about it but worthwhile if you like to stretch out....much less still than most airline Premium Economy.

Bulkhead = bassinets and young children (most likely), so you are suggesting that the OP might like to consider paying a premium for that pleasure? Surely not.

Which is why i'd rather be set before we go mate. Trust me, i fly long haul to my work and back twice a month for the last 10 years so i am very set in my ways when it comes to traveling. The ironic thing is you are lucky if i have booked my own flights 8 times in my life. Work normally do it for me. 

Also, and i don't want to go too deep. The process with me getting to Scotland with my Mrs and kid started April. My daughter didn't have any passport, my Mrs Thai one was out of date. It's been a nightmare getting to here, trust me, so be able to do this now for 30 Euro is not something that will bother me at all.

Wise business travellers make their own bookings, or at least nominate their own flights. Getting someone else to do it can have you at a meeting as soon as you step off the aeroplane. A big no no in my book, unless of course your business trips are actually jollies.

Bulkhead = bassinets and young children (most likely), so you are suggesting that the OP might like to consider paying a premium for that pleasure? Surely not.

The "Comfort Economy" on KLM is fine if you get as far away from the bassinets as you can. Just look your seat up on Seat Guru. I think there are about 10 rows of Premium Economy.

• Like 1

I lioved in Rotterdam for 4 years. I've been through Schiphol many times mate

Wise business travellers make their own bookings, or at least nominate their own flights. Getting someone else to do it can have you at a meeting as soon as you step off the aeroplane. A big no no in my book, unless of course your business trips are actually jollies.

I've been doing this line of work 20 years and spent millions of miles in the air. I know what i'm doing when i sign my contract thanks

Another option is to have the flight attendants help once boarding as well...

Although this option works the best if the person "by themselves" has an aisle or window seat and your looking to trade for a middle seat from some one else, so you can be with your friend / family

I've been doing this line of work 20 years and spent millions of miles in the air. I know what i'm doing when i sign my contract thanks

Same as you, been offshore 30 years but trusting any HR department to book flights is a nightmare. I always insist on doing it myself then claim it back That applies with all the drilling companies I've worked for along with operators. Remember being left stranded in Luanda airport all night because the HR department hadn't understood the next day thing (after midnight). This was before mobile phones were common and Luanda was a lot more dodgy then than now. Always do it yourself then you know it's done properly. The problem with the oil and gas is that many people earn good money on very little knowledge or skill, go to any drill rig to see that. This permeates into the HR office where you have to deal with girls who think the world is flat and the most important thing in the world is what time her boyfriend is going to pick her up after work.

Same as you, been offshore 30 years but trusting any HR department to book flights is a nightmare. I always insist on doing it myself then claim it back That applies with all the drilling companies I've worked for along with operators. Remember being left stranded in Luanda airport all night because the HR department hadn't understood the next day thing (after midnight). This was before mobile phones were common and Luanda was a lot more dodgy then than now. Always do it yourself then you know it's done properly. The problem with the oil and gas is that many people earn good money on very little knowledge or skill, go to any drill rig to see that. This permeates into the HR office where you have to deal with girls who think the world is flat and the most important thing in the world is what time her boyfriend is going to pick her up after work.

I've never ever had a problem. I ask for specific routes and 90% of the time get them.

I flew with KLM to Amsterdam then used an Easyjet flight to fly to Edinburgh, because the flights were not connected my GF had to wait for me in the Terminal. It wasn't too much hassle I had to collected the bags after passport control check in for both of us, When I went through passport control again I found myself in a new terminal. , I completely forgot the terminal my gf was waiting me for, then out holdall luggage was too big for easyjet so they stung me 100 Euros. 

Specific routes are one thing, timings completely different. Been travelling 35 years of working life, even as a rooky I realised self organisation was key. But hey, if it works for you getting someone else to do it for you then at least you will always have someone else to blame. Seriously, safe and hassle free travelling to you and your family.
  • Like 1

If you bothered to read what I wrote you would know its a premium area not reserved for this purpose.

Just ask when boarding the plane, If the flight is fully booked, If not  ask can you change sets once you are airborne. If not they would probably ask if people would move for you, I have moved in the past for this sort of situation.

Edited by Thongkorn

Just ask when boarding the plane, If the flight is fully booked, If not  ask can you change sets once you are airborne. If not they would probably ask if people would move for you, I have moved in the past for this sort of situation.

Thanks mate. But i have already paid to make sure we are all together. I have peace of mind now