Where Are The Genuine Shops For Tourists?

simon43

With my little hotel opening for business in a few months, I've started to think about what places I can recommend my guests to visit.

Now maybe I'm getting cynical, (living in LoS too long...). But I doubt the sincerity of some of these tourist shops :o

Take the 'world's largest gem store' for example, on the bypass road. It is always packed with tourist buses and coaches. Is that because all the tourists have heard of this famous shop and clammer to visit it? I doubt it. What about the goods they sell? I didn't know Phuket had a reputation for either producing gemstones or mounting them. In fact, I was under the impression that Thailand produced very few gemstones, and that most were imported because they were of better quality. So is this gem-store just selling Cambodian gems at exaggerated prices?

What about all the shops at Rawii Beach? They sell lovely sea-shells. Now, if all those sea-shells have come from the nearby sea, then I don't think there will be any mollucs left!! So I assume they are imported from China or somewhere.

I want to try to find, (if it exists), people involved in a genuine local craft or manufacturing. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Simon

I think you will be hard pressed to find locally produced handicrafts here. Phuket has never been a handicraft centre. Before tourism it was mostly tin mining and rubber plantations. I think these days Phuket produces things like rubber, coconuts, pineapples, seafood and pearls. Handicrafts are imported from Chiang Mai etc.

Of course there are galleries in Phuket Town and other centres that sell art (paintings and sculptures), some of it produced by local artists, but i'm not sure you could class them as handicraft.

There's a booklet callet Art & Culture South that may have some useful info.

Good luck.

It may be a bit of a way from you, Simon, but on the main road south into Karon there is a 90 degree bend shortly before getting to the roundabout at the end of Karon beach. On the left hand side there are 4 or 5 shops, an art gallery and craft shops. In one of the craft shops they sell all manner of wood carvings, ceramics and so on. I've bought some smashing stuff there. The guy there works in ceramics with his brother, while his wife runs the shop.

They have new and second-hand items there and it is well worth a look. I'm over in a couple of weeks so I'll get a business card and PM you.

With my little hotel opening for business in a few months, I've started to think about what places I can recommend my guests to visit.

Simon

you could always do what 90% of the rest of the industry does...........

"Recommend" the one that gives you the biggest commissions :o

you could always do what 90% of the rest of the industry does...........

"Recommend" the one that gives you the biggest commissions

Thanks but I prefer to place myself in the 10% minority :o