Thai man bitten by Tarantula spider dies in hospital

webfact

My assumption from what has been posted previously concerning this poor fellow is that the spider bite probably was not deadly, it was that he used local medicines applied to the wound rather than seek medical attention. One would guess that infection set in and by the time he sought medical treatment, he was in really bad shape.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised the relatives did not blame a curse or evil spirit, blaming the wrong spider seems like progress. Do they even have tarantulas here?

cambodia there is a small town north of phnom penh called snoul (or something like that) where young girls walk among the bus rest stop tourists and selling live tarantulas. so must be some in thailand too. but have never seen a wild one near or in any accommodation or anywhere roaming about, sometimes see them at the fried insect sellers.

Not every large spider is a tarantula, there are however hundreds of species of tarantula spread over a large part of the tropical and desrt world....the largest are in South America.

Thailand has large spiders and venomous spiders but they are not necessarily one and the same. 

All spiders have a bite but VERY, VERY few are harmful to humans, let alone deadly.

Most f the information about spiders is driven by media hysteria and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

the are other animals - snakes and centipedes for instance that also have vey nasty bites......but if the victim's word is taken as gospel by the doctor, then you have a recipe for disaster.

Nothing directly to do with the man who was bitten in Thailand but.........."People don't die of spider bites" ? "VERY VERY few are harmful to humans"? Thai Visa site a good site full of information but I get a little tired of those who don't check their facts before pressing Add Reply - below excerpt from Wikipedia - but similar info can be found on many other websites and in the priinted media.

Atracinae, commonly known as Australian funnel-web spiders, is a subfamily of spiders in the funnel-web spider family Hexathelidae.[1] Atracinae consists of three genera: Atrax, Hadronyche, and Illawarra. The subfamily includes species with medically significant venom, six species of which have severely envenomed human victims.

There have been 27 recorded deaths in Australia in the last 100 years from spider bites. Bites from Sydney funnel-web spiders have caused thirteen deaths (seven in children).In all cases where the sex of the biting spider could be determined, it was found to be the male of the species. Most victims were young, ill or infirm.

I heard it was a brown recluse spider.

A brown recluse I would beleave,but not a tarantula because tarantula venom is not strong enough to kill, I know because I was bitten some time ago by aTexas brown and never had any bad effects from it other then a sore finger or a few days. On the other hand the brown recluse is one of the most danger est spiders in the world. So you draw your own conclusions from this.  

The Bangkok post reported that it was a brown recluse spider and that he was bitten on the back of the leg multiple times.  It also said that he didn't seek medical attention for 2 days and was admitted to hospital with kidney failure.  I think amputating his leg may have been a bit late given that his kidneys were already having problems.

I think they were wrong....it is hard to tell from the specimen they put a picture of, but the Brown recluse has very unusual eye arrangement, which I can't verify from the picture....

• Like 1

Surprised the relatives did not blame a curse or evil spirit, blaming the wrong spider seems like progress. Do they even have tarantulas here?

cambodia there is a small town north of phnom penh called snoul (or something like that) where young girls walk among the bus rest stop tourists and selling live tarantulas. so must be some in thailand too. but have never seen a wild one near or in any accommodation or anywhere roaming about, sometimes see them at the fried insect sellers.

Not every large spider is a tarantula, there are however hundreds of species of tarantula spread over a large part of the tropical and desrt world....the largest are in South America.

Thailand has large spiders and venomous spiders but they are not necessarily one and the same. 

All spiders have a bite but VERY, VERY few are harmful to humans, let alone deadly.

Most f the information about spiders is driven by media hysteria and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

the are other animals - snakes and centipedes for instance that also have vey nasty bites......but if the victim's word is taken as gospel by the doctor, then you have a recipe for disaster.

Nothing directly to do with the man who was bitten in Thailand but.........."People don't die of spider bites" ? "VERY VERY few are harmful to humans"? Thai Visa site a good site full of information but I get a little tired of those who don't check their facts before pressing Add Reply - below excerpt from Wikipedia - but similar info can be found on many other websites and in the priinted media.

Atracinae, commonly known as Australian funnel-web spiders, is a subfamily of spiders in the funnel-web spider family Hexathelidae.[1] Atracinae consists of three genera: Atrax, Hadronyche, and Illawarra. The subfamily includes species with medically significant venom, six species of which have severely envenomed human victims.

There have been 27 recorded deaths in Australia in the last 100 years from spider bites.Bites from Sydney funnel-web spiders have caused thirteen deaths (seven in children).In all cases where the sex of the biting spider could be determined, it was found to be the male of the species.Most victims were young, ill or infirm.

I am well aware of that - there is nothing in Wiki that contradicts what I've posted - hence my comments! I'm also aware of the possibility of misdiagnosis and thew changes in reporting and treatment over the last 100 years.

perhaps you should learn to read what you google. I get the feeling you don't even know the difference between species and genera.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

A brown recluse I would beleave,but not a tarantula because tarantula venom is not strong enough to kill, I know because I was bitten some time ago by aTexas brown and never had any bad effects from it other then a sore finger or a few days. On the other hand the brown recluse is one of the most danger est spiders in the world. So you draw your own conclusions from this.  

Why would you believe a brown recluse - the odds of it turning up in Thailand at all are immense and then making it into this poor guy's bed??????

Is it possible that there is a  large population of a spider from North America and then only in a certain mainly dry region that has established itself throughout Thailand?

I think the odds are against this.

There are platy of theories of HOW this could happen but vey little analysis of whether it WOULD happen.

BTW - most goods are fumigated either on arrival or departure and insects such as spiders have extremely low chances of surviving transport around the globe.

Alien animals are usually introduced into other countries by smugglers or collectors who accidentally release them or agriculturalists who try to use some alien species to curb pests.

Edited by wilcopops

The Bangkok post reported that it was a brown recluse spider and that he was bitten on the back of the leg multiple times.  It also said that he didn't seek medical attention for 2 days and was admitted to hospital with kidney failure.  I think amputating his leg may have been a bit late given that his kidneys were already having problems.

I think they were wrong....it is hard to tell from the specimen they put a picture of, but the Brown recluse has very unusual eye arrangement, which I can't verify from the picture....

the spider did have six eyes - but so does the spitting spider that we found in the area

I know a bit about spiders. I've owned a few. One of my favorites was the "Thai Black" (Haplopelma longipes). After a fresh malt it is pure silky black in color. Just before a malt though it can be a brownish color. Perhaps this was the spider. My understanding of the literature suggests old world tarantulas (Asian) can have a bad effect on some people if bitten. Their poison is different than new world larger species and can cause all kinds of strange things to the body. Ex. Random painful calf muscle contractions months after the bite.

In this region there is also the Cambodian Black Tarantula

And the beautiful "Cobalt Blue" Tarantula

I would not want to be bitten by any of these ... even mosquito bites swell up unusually large on me.

Anyone have the picture of the alleged spider?

He did NOT die from tarantula bite !

He died because of the family thought to be medicinman and didn't take care in a proper way.

RIP for the guy, but totally blame to them who think with herbs and prayers to cure someone

Not according to the article above..........

"was placed under 24-hour watch after he had his leg which was bitten by the spider amputated in order to spare his life.
However, he said the patient developed kidney failure after the surgery and his condition continued to deteriorate with intestinal haemorrhage being detected due to low blood platelet."

It seems all that could be done for this poor man was indeed done.

Actually NO they DON"T! - Why not check out how many people have died from Redback  or Funnek web bites before you post that?

bites from both spiders normally require hospitalisation, but death is incredibly rare.

The red back is ubiquitous,

the funnel webs of which they are over 40 species, are the ones that everyone fears, the most dangerous from NSW is alleged to have claimed 13 lives the last in the 1980s. as the animal spends most of its life underground it is seldom encountered. The male likes to go looking for a mate, particularly after wet weather....this is she they get trodden on or otherwise encounter a human....usually a barefoot kid.  The animal is limited to a region around Sydney. There are of course loads of "urban myths" about this and ALL Australia venomous creatures.

People CAN die from funnel web and red back spider bites, but haven't since anti-venoms have been produced.

People can die from any spider bites if they aren't treated properly.

This guy died from a spider bite because he wasn't treated properly.

Nobody has ever died from a taratula bite - FACT! Tarantulas cannot kill a human being. Tarantula venom is not very powerful on an animal the size of us.

This boy, yes boy and not 'man' as the OP incorrectly states, just as likely died from herbal poisoning and incorrect treatment than a tarantula bite.

I know a bit about spiders. I've owned a few. One of my favorites was the "Thai Black" (Haplopelma longipes). After a fresh malt it is pure silky black in color. Just before a malt though it can be a brownish color. Perhaps this was the spider. My understanding of the literature suggests old world tarantulas (Asian) can have a bad effect on some people if bitten. Their poison is different than new world larger species and can cause all kinds of strange things to the body. Ex. Random painful calf muscle contractions months after the bite.

I would not want to be bitten by any of these ... even mosquito bites swell up unusually large on me.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=99263

Quote: “No tarantulas have ever been known to kill anybody,” he says. Some of them will bite if provoked, even the native species of the Southwest, but the wound generally feels like a bee sting and causes no lasting injury."

there was a picture in the original article.....of  a crushed dead spider that they claimed to be the one. The Recluse is unusual in that it has only 6 eyes arranged in pairs and they are very small....it is difficult to see on the photo....they loo too big anyway. The "fiddle back" pattern is present on many there spiders. Apart from that we don't even know for sure if this was actually what bit him.

there are plenty of other ceepy crawlies that could have bitten this chap, and suggesting an animal that lives the other side of the planet seems a bit of a stretch.

also the disease associated with this spider seldom happens and tyne hospital claim it was a "bacterial" infection........not loxoscelism.

i suspect a young doctor who spent some time in US doing some auxiliary course and heard of these spiders during his visit.

If you haven't, read this...... #22  

Edited by wilcopops

Nobody has ever died from a taratula bite - FACT! Tarantulas cannot kill a human being. Tarantula venom is not very powerful on an animal the size of us.

This boy, yes boy and not 'man' as the OP incorrectly states, just as likely died from herbal poisoning and incorrect treatment than a tarantula bite.

Where did I say that anyone died of a tarantula bite?  If you read one of the first posts in the thread you will see that I said that this would be a first.  FACT!!

Any spider by *could* kill people if it isn't treated properly.  That might mean that venom kills them or that the bite gets infected and kills them.

It seems that the OP is wrong in saying that a tarantula bit him.  Articles in the Bangkok Post are saying it was a brown recluse spider, although some people are saying that is incorrect too.

The Bangkok Post also said that the "man" was 46 years old.  Where did you get that it was a boy?

Where did I say that anyone died of a tarantula bite?  If you read one of the first posts in the thread you will see that I said that this would be a first.  FACT!!

Any spider by *could* kill people if it isn't treated properly.  That might mean that venom kills them or that the bite gets infected and kills them.

It seems that the OP is wrong in saying that a tarantula bit him.  Articles in the Bangkok Post are saying it was a brown recluse spider, although some people are saying that is incorrect too.

The Bangkok Post also said that the "man" was 46 years old.  Where did you get that it was a boy?

I refer you  to eigthleggedfreak's post above.........   #22  

And?

And?

What part of the post do you not understand?​

And?

I don't understand why you are referring me to that post.  Which part of my post is relevant to that?

And?

I don't understand why you are referring me to that post.  Which part of my post is relevant to that?

It purts it into a perspective you don't seem to have - spider bites are EXTREMELY unlikely to kill and it is sure beyond any reasonable doubt that the bite - if even from a spider - was not from a brown recluse.

your chances of dying form a spider bite are tiny...tiny ....tiny.....even if you include any other post bite infections or shock...... 

Edited by wilcopops

I was part of the team who went to Phrae to search for the suspected Brown recluse. None were found. This spider is NOT in Thailand. Please make sure you know what you are talking about before speculating as it is causing quite a bit of totally unnecessary panic.

As for them saying he was bitten by a tarantula that is a totally new theory - which is equally as untrue. There are several tarantula species in Thailand but their venom in pretty much not poisonous to us (I say pretty much as every person is different). However this man was NOT bitten by a tarantula either. 

Were you part of government team?  Where did you report your findings?  Is this report available to the public?  Where can we access it?

I was part of the team who went to Phrae to search for the suspected Brown recluse. None were found. This spider is NOT in Thailand. Please make sure you know what you are talking about before speculating as it is causing quite a bit of totally unnecessary panic.

As for them saying he was bitten by a tarantula that is a totally new theory - which is equally as untrue. There are several tarantula species in Thailand but their venom in pretty much not poisonous to us (I say pretty much as every person is different). However this man was NOT bitten by a tarantula either. 

If you were on the team sent to search for this spider--then tell us more--what do you believe it was that bit this guy?

We do not know what bit him. The main problem was he was bitten by something. He did not get medical help and this is what has resulted in him losing his leg, and eventually his life. 

There was a team of 4 experts - of which I was one - and around 50 entomologists, health workers and locals. We split into 4 groups and systematically searched the homes, gardens, out buildings of all the villages in that area. We did searches during the day and at night as the Brown recluse in nocturnal. We found many spiders and collected what we found and identified them. Most of what we found we totally harmless - jumping spiders, cellar spiders, gnaphosids and spitting spiders. We did also find the brown widow, which is poisonous. However, this is NOT what bit him as their venom is a neurotoxin and would not result in necrosis of the tissues. 

There are many many things here that bite and if bites are not dealt with and cleaned infections are common. This is not because of the venom. 

Ok he never died from the actual bite he died from the complications it caused and he is not the first to do so.

.Maybe 99% of people would get over a venemous spider bite in a week but if you are that othe 1% then the chances are your numbers up.

The actual cause of death stated was low blood platelet which without you bleed out. Yes?

That without a doubt is a symtom of being bitten by a brown recluse spider which you say it wasn't

.You never found one but it would seem one found him.

You are so positive but these spiders can be found secluded, dark place, undisturbed sites indoors or outdoors. Indoors, they may be found in attics, basements, closets, ductwork, in storage boxes, shoes or behind furniture. Externally they may be found in barns, storage sheds, garages, under logs, loose stones and stacks of lumber according to a pest control company in Thailand.

Now maybe they have never seen one but just becaue you 50 people didn't find them doesn't mean they are not there.

50 people to search the entire country for something the size of a small coin that may be concentrated in a couple of areas is the laugh of the centuary.

If the Doc said it was a brown recluse spider as per his findings then why would you dispute that?.

Are we to believe the Doc is a quack or could it be you and your people aren't too good at your jobs?

I

• Like 2

Were you part of government team?  Where did you report your findings?  Is this report available to the public?  Where can we access it?

Do we REALLY need that?

This smacks of someone who doesn't have an argument so thinks it is clever to ask for references....een though they have no idea of how either to use them or construct and argument.

• Like 1

It purts it into a perspective you don't seem to have - spider bites are EXTREMELY unlikely to kill and it is sure beyond any reasonable doubt that the bite - if even from a spider - was not from a brown recluse.

your chances of dying form a spider bite are tiny...tiny ....tiny.....even if you include any other post bite infections or shock...... 

Your chance of dying from spider bites, such as a brown recluse spider, are possible "if not treated properly".

As I said, the Bangkok Post reported that it was a brown recluse spider.  Some anonymous guy posting on a forum said it wasn't.  Given the quality of news reporting in Thailand, such as the OP, I would certainly take some anonymous guy's posts into consideration.

Do we REALLY need that?

This smacks of someone who doesn't have an argument so thinks it is clever to ask for references....een though they have no idea of how either to use them or construct and argument.

Of course we have to ask.  Is his report authoritative?  WHO sent him?  What are his credentials?  These are basic questions I would expect from anyone included in an official inspection.

Wow.  Must have been allergic to tarantula venom because tarantula bites are generally a painful nuisance but not that big of a deal.  My dog got bit on the nose last year.  Two neat little holes in his nose.  I scooped the tarantula up in a box and relocated him outside of property.  Called the vet who said to give the dog low doses of Tylenol.  Poor dude didn't feel good for about 24 hours, but then was good as new.  

Sorry to hear the bad news.

Your chance of dying from spider bites, such as a brown recluse spider, are possible "if not treated properly".

As I said, the Bangkok Post reported that it was a brown recluse spider.  Some anonymous guy posting on a forum said it wasn't.  Given the quality of news reporting in Thailand, such as the OP, I would certainly take some anonymous guy's posts into consideration.

Your chances of eve getting any effect from a Brown Recluse are very  small....it depends on the amount of venom and your sensitivity. Many people just feel a little prick? (Notice anything?)

"not properly treated" is not a prerequisite for surviving spider bites.  It is in this case it was a factor, as it wasn't a brown recluse and therefore  the guy was not treated properly for a bite by whatever actually DID bite him-----probably not even a spider.

It isn't just the word of "some anonymous guy" - it is the information available to anyone who wants to read up on spiders.

Even the hospital doesn't say it was loxoscelism - which happens only occasionally and for which I believe there is no cure; it cures itself usually. - The Hospital claims a bacterial infection. So what is the connection with the brown recluse.

you seem to be clinging on to a mass media hysterical idea that is based largely on myth......

Edited by wilcopops

It was not a tarantula or a brown recluse.....people simply don't die of spider bites....unless they get the wrong kind of treatment or there is some delay or complication.

Or as seems possible someone decided that "traditional medicine" was suitable.

(let's just hope they didn't misdiagnose ebola!)

anaphylactic shock

I had a friend who was bitten by something when he was lounging around a 4 star luxury swimming pool.in SE Asia.

His leg started swelling up and 3 days later it was completely swollen and he still hadn't seen a doctor. Luckily he did go later that day.

Another day and he probably would have lost his leg!