what way to prove 40.000 income per month to bank in thailand ?

i am 47 yr old,  i want to live in thailand ( fingers crossed )   i have an income at minute of about 50000 thb per month.    should i get this money put into a uk bank account, get online banking, print my bank statements per month and show the immigration ?  or do these funds have to reach a thai bank account every month ? 

bear in mind a TT transfer costs around 1300 thb per month. 

and do i need to show the whole years monies / payments going into thai or foreign bank account every month or just , say 3 months prior to going to immigration.

i am not age for retirement visa , i am married to thai national but we are seperated.

To prove your income you need a letter from your embassy to confirm the income of 40k baht or more.

If you are separated from your wife you will not qualify for an extension of stay based upon marriage. She has to go with you to immigration when you apply and you will need to show proof that your are living together as husband and wife (photos and home visit).

• Like 2

If you don't mind doing border runs every 90 days you could get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet Laos. You would need your marriage certificate, signed and dated copies of your wife's house book and ID card.

Why should he be able to get a visa but not an extension?

Isn't the intent that he is coming here to stay with his wife?

For a visa it would be to visit her. The bar is lower for visas.

For an extension it is to live with her.

• Like 1

Whoops - misunderstanding. Back to square one with the advice there guys.

Looks like ED visa, or 2+ years (until 50) of repeated tourist visa visits with a sojourn outside Thailand in between.

Tourist visit first to assess lie of the land on ED visa and to wait for better info about how immigration are handling the repeated tourist situation (ie how long out of country is minimum acceptable) in circumstances of a changed/tightened-up approach?

From a HSBC account, you can transfer up to £2000 for a cost of £4 or 220 baht.......

The rate they gave me was competitive....

• Like 1

If your name is not in the wife's family book you are out of luck too and if she does not go with you same same. Even if you were still together you will have to put 400,000 baht in a Thai bank and show the 40,000 monthly income statements from your home bank, or at least that is what happened to  me when applying for a marriage visa Now, I just pay a VISA fixer to solve all the yearly visa issues  Good luck because you are gonna need it.

To prove your income you need a letter from your embassy to confirm the income of 40k baht or more.

If you are separated from your wife you will not qualify for an extension of stay based upon marriage. She has to go with you to immigration when you apply and you will need to show proof that your are living together as husband and wife (photos and home visit).

I believe the proof of income letter can be a statutary declaration.

The proof of income letter is provided by your embassy. The embassy decides what proof they will accept to issue such letter.

Some embassies, like the US-embassy, do not issue an income letter but allow you to make a statutory declaration instead.

OP is from the UK and the UK issues a letter for which they require proof.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

From a HSBC account, you can transfer up to £2000 for a cost of £4 or 220 baht.......

This is the new transfer fee.  

New low fees on international transfers

Make international payments of up to £50,000
for just £4 – or for free to any HSBC account.

Edited by barnsleyman
  • Like 2

If your name is not in the wife's family book you are out of luck too and if she does not go with you same same. Even if you were still together you will have to put 400,000 baht in a Thai bank and show the 40,000 monthly income statements from your home bank, or at least that is what happened to  me when applying for a marriage visa Now, I just pay a VISA fixer to solve all the yearly visa issues  Good luck because you are gonna need it.

It is  not possible for a husband to be in the wife's house book.

It is 400k baht in a Thai bank or 40k baht income. You do not need both. If not legally working here the only proof of income immigration will accept is a income document from an embassy.

It does not seem your "visa fixer" did a very good job.

• Like 2

I have had a Bangkok Bank savings account here for the last 20 years. I have several pensions including the UK State Pension. I filled out a form of instruction to my pension providers to pay into the Bangkok Bank International Branch in London. The funds are paid into Bangkok Bank London and credited to my account in Bangkok on the same or next working day at the prevailing rate of exchange. To save money on transfer fees I always ask for the payments to be consolidated. So my state pension is paid every 13 weeks, 1 pension is paid every 6 months and 2 pensions are paid annually. You could consolidate your income payments in Bangkok Bank London and then have them transfer to you as and when the exchange rate is favourable. You do not have to show a monthly transfer as income but the average per month must match the minimum required.

I have online banking with Bangkok Bank. I used to have an HSBC account but they no longer allow retail accounts.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

Regarding bank fees for cash withdrawals, if you had a citibank account in the UK, you could withdraw from citibank ATMs in Bangkok, .. free of charge from either end. I do this with my Australian citibank card. It works a treat. ;-) 

Not only for cash withdrawals, but so many fees for all the usual transactions. Citibank fees may vary from country to country, but it is really worth doing some homework on this.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You need more than THAT! The letter from the embassy is no longer good enough. It used to be but in the last three years they also want to see proof of transfers into a Thai bank account. You  need to get statements from a Thai bank showing these money moves. And it has to be transfers from abroad and not deposits into an ATM, which could be construed as you are working here and then you'd need a work permit.

A statement from your bank overseas will not do.

Edited by spermwhale

And adding to my earlier post, I typically show about six months of transfers.

I'm divorced from my Thai wife but stay here on a Non-immigrant O visa because I have joint custody of our kids. So my visa is based on taking care of the kids. If you have kids and plan on divorcing, since you're separated now, you'll need a divorce contracts that stipulates that any kids you have with your Thai wife also stay with you and that you spend money on them.

From an ATM, with the proper banking institution that reimburses ATM/FX fees, there is no charge. Of course, this is for a 370 pounds at a time, if you need larger amounts, HSBC may be the way.

You need more than THAT! The letter from the embassy is no longer good enough. It used to be but in the last three years they also want to see proof of transfers into a Thai bank account. You  need to get statements from a Thai bank showing these money moves. And it has to be transfers from abroad and not deposits into an ATM, which could be construed as you are working here and then you'd need a work permit.

Some offices may want back up to your income income document but it is not a requirement according to the rules.

I have never been asked for anything more than my income proof from the embassy for the 6 extensions I have done.

• Like 1

I did a marriage extension a couple of weeks ago. The guidelines from immigration mentioned proof of transfer so I included them. Immigration did not even look, just handed them back and said proof of transfer was only required for bank deposits, not income.

It would appear that there is no standard immigration procedure.

The UK embassy form for the income letter requires you to list all income on an annual basis with supporting docs. The annual total is calculated and divided by 12 to give a monthly GBP figure which goes on the letter. Immigration determine the Baht amount on the day of application.

Looks like ED visa, or 2+ years (until 50) of repeated tourist visa visits with a sojourn outside Thailand in between.

He currently doesn't have a sufficied monthly income to qualify for an extension of stay when he turns 50; he needs a minimum of 65,000 baht per month if he want to base his stay on the money route.

I believe the proof of income letter can be a statutary declaration.

The proof of income letter is provided by your embassy. The embassy decides what proof they will accept to issue such letter.

Some embassies, like the US-embassy, do not issue an income letter but allow you to make a statutory declaration instead.

OP is from the UK and the UK issues a letter for which they require proof.

ok thanks ,

now lets cut to the chase,  does the monies going into uk bank account ( say hsbc )  need to be from an employer ,  does it matter if say " my family " deposited into bank every month for me the sum of £1000 = 54000 thb .          i can also show 400,000 thb in my account every year.

Edited by dirtycash