UK Visit Visa for Thai: Accommodation and Finance Qus.

Greetings All,

I plan to have my Thai partner visit me for three weeks later this year. Because my house is rented out, I will have to rent a room from a friend who has a large house nearby.

I have an email from my friend confirming that this is ok, detailing price and availablity.  Do I need to provide proof that she actually owns the house and is able to make such an offer?

Regarding proof of income, because I've only just got back to Britain, I have no job yet (I'm looking, hard, I can assure you!).  After buying a car, I reckon I'll have about £11k left, and she will have at least £2k, probably more like £3k.  I'm sure this is enough for three weeks, but most of my money will be in shares, which , if sold, would take four days for the cash to hit my account.  Do I really need to proove every step of the sale process, showing how the shares are sold and the cash returned to me, to the ECO?

I'm fairly confident we have enough proof of relationship and her income in Thailand, which far surpasses minimum wage in the UK! She is undoubtedly, financially better off in Thailand than she would herself be in Britain....

Generally, I successfully got a Spouse visa for my now ex-wife several years ago, and it feels that just for a visit visa it's a similar level of work, is that normal?

Any other advice of rhte application would be most welcome.

My first question is; why can't she stay with you? You don't have to answer here, but the ECO will almost certainly want to know the answer. So if she is not staying with you, you should say why in your supporting letter.

Whoever is offering her accommodation should show that they have the ability to do so; if possible proof of ownership or a letter from their landlord, whichever is applicable.

The money for the visit should be immediately available. If you need to sell shares to get this money, whilst you don't need to show every step of the sale the ECO may be suspicious of a large amount of money suddenly appearing in your account. So you will need to explain where the money came from.

You may find UK visit visa basics helpful.

A good idea to include in your letter the factors that will encourage them to believe that you have realistic prospects of getting a job - prior job/career/experience level, education, skill sets, brief summary of job search so far. Without that I could see those processing the visa getting a bit suspicious about what your source of income will really be once your 'partner' arrives (and never departs).

Don't take it personal - just trying to put myself in their shoes.

Don't assume that, having sent the letter + application and being given a visa, that is end of story. The questions starts over again when the foreigner arrives at the border. Make sure your partner has a copy of the application letter that explained your circumstances and her visit. Make sure she understands your job history and intentions (and that she gives it to immi as first defence if she gets stuck with their questions). You will not be there when she arrives at the immigration desk and a bit of preparation will save her some potential embarrassment when she is asked "and what does your boyfriend do"? (been there, experienced that). Perhaps give her your UK mobile number and brief her to give it to immi if she gets stuck with questions. 

Good luck but with good prep you should not need lucksmile.png

Edited by SantiSuk

Thanks 7by7 and SantiSuk.

Coincidentally, I already sold some shares and am waiting for the money to land. I also seem to have wangled a job, not a good one, but a start...

Regarding jobs, it is clear that she is financially better off in Thailand with her job. Therefore would me having a job actually be slightly detrimental to an application (when thinking about if she will return to Thailand) ? If I were an ECO I would be thinking "Why would she leave her job to be with someone unemployed? How would they eat?" (because I'm returning to the UK, I am not eligible for JSA for three months anyway).

Thanks for the other advice, too, guys.

Finances for the visit can come from the applicant, the sponsor, a third party or any combination of these.

Your employment and earnings in the UK should be irrelevant; unless you are contributing to the cost the visit and do not have enough cash savings to do so.

Her being employed in Thailand is a positive factor. She should obtain a letter from her employer confirming her employment, that she has been granted a leave of absence for the visit and that she will have her job upon her return.

Note that someone from the entry clearance office may phone this letter's signatory to confirm the contents. If the letter is written in English then they will expect to talk to the signatory in English, and will doubt the authenticity of the letter if that person is unable to do so. If it is written in Thai they will be happy to talk to the signatory in Thai.

If written in Thai then, like all documents not in English or Welsh, it should be accompanied by a certified English or Welsh translation. See here.