Converting hard top Suzuki Caribian into an open top + Manual to Automatic gear.

Hello,

I am looking to buy an open top Suzuki Caribian, similar to this:

http://sunland-properties.com/en/property/eep-car-for-rent-for-fun-vacations-koh-samui

Problem is I want it to be also automatic as I am driving it mostly in the city so I really don't want to be connected to the gear the whole day and these cars are mostly manual.

My options are to try to find such a manual jeep (which is very hard to find and in such a great condition) and replace the manual to Automatic gear OR buy a cheap automatic gear car which usually is very basic and build the car from scratch...

Would be great to understand the approximate costs of:

1. Cut the back side+roof of Suzuki Caribian, weld a roll bar and put the necessary plastics and removable soft top which covers the front and back + paint.

2. Replacing the manual with Automatic gear

Understanding the costs would help me to decide which way to go.

Also, if you can recommend on a professional person (anywhere in Thailand) who can do these things that would be great smile.png

Any comment is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by Henderson

I wish you well with your Project; which has obviously been done before. Great looking little car that ! The only 'contribution' I could make is this: I once owned one of these (standard) Caribbeans and even though I liked it, at the time, I was not so impressed with its "driving-quality". With that, I mean that it felt a bit "tinny", "light" and "vulnerable", if you know what I mean. Anyway; I eventually sold this vehicle to a mate of mine. He then took it to Bangkok and a place called "Old Man Emu", which I had never heard of before. [if you Google "Old-Man-Emu" you'll get the whole, impressive, story !] and then he came back with this car and tossed me the keys. I had to take it for a little drive . . . . . . . Well; I could have sworn it was a totally different car, because, not only "no longer tinny"; this car now felt like a small version of a Range Rover ! ! ! Apparently, they changed the suspension and a few other bits & pieces and completely transformed this car. If I remember correctly, the total cost was something like Tbt. 75K - It now had the "wauw" factor, and - now (12 years later !!!!!) my mate still drives this car and is still super-duper happy with it. Just thought I'd share that with you.

thumbsup.gif

Engine with Auto box is a fairly easy, the Vitara 1.6 with Auto box fits, have seen here one with the Vitara V6 2.0lt engine.. [the V6 was imported into Thailand from Greece]

Suzuki made the Vitara as a soft top and with auto box, [and the Jimmy], have seen one here in Thailand, maybe easier to start with a 3 door Vitara, and get a roof Conversion ?

There are lots of following for the little 4x4 here maybe search for a club in Thailand..  and ask them

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1421678

http://www.one2car.com/SUZUKI_JIMNY/F06140344

Where? Is always a good thing to add to posts like this.

There are many Suzuki specialty shops for Caribbean as they are used a lot for off-road. Just tell them what you want.

Auto box and engine from APV will also fit but if you want 4x4 you maybe stuck with Vitara box as my knowledge of Suzuki transfer boxes is non existent.

My Suzuki "jeep" experience was one of the reasons I had no qualms about buying Carry for work. Edited by VocalNeal

^^2.0l V6?? w00t.gif  What does it have for pistons? Small paint cans? laugh.png

There is a lot in Thailand, the front is a bit different, different grill.. they came with 2 Airbags, where as the 1.6 never had them.

My Dentist has one he bought new in 1997. the Lady Pharmacist near me has one she also bought new in 1999,

All Aluminum engine came as the 2.0 lt V6 and the 2.7 lt V6 as used in the Vitara XL7 and yes there are some here, but far more 2.0 lt V6

Edit: easy to tell a V6 from the front

[attachment=277235:V6 Vitara.jpg]

same year 1.6 front

[attachment=277239:1600.jpg]

Edited by ignis

There is a place in Chantaburi that sells jeeps , suzukis etc , coming from Rayong , on the highway , just before the right turn down to Trat .  They usually have a few Suzuki soft tops there . I will be going past in a couple of days , will have a look if I remember .

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for your replies!

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge in this matter (that's why I am here:), to replace the gear to Automatic, must I also replace the engine?

If the answer is yes, how much should both in a good condition cost?

Thx.

to replace the gear to Automatic, must I also replace the engine?

I can't remember if the engine in the Caribbean is canted at an angle because the APV definitely is. So then the bolt pattern in the transmission may not mate with an upright engine. The off-road guys probably don't use auto boxes but they would know. Then you are stuck with the auto box from a Vitara. Whether you buy only the box or a combination may depend on the seller?

There are also different engines. 8V vs.16V

The best start to this project would be to find locate your nearest Suzuki off-road shop! OR from memory there is an Australian Suzuki off-road forum, they would know for sure.

Australia also has 1750? piston kits, camshafts, et al.

['quote]1. Cut the back side+roof of Suzuki Caribian, weld a roll bar and put the necessary plastics and removable soft top which covers the front and back + paint.[/quote]

Cutting of the roof involves a bit more than welding a roll bar to achieve an acceptable body strength. Ever had a look at the differences in chassis reinforcement between a hardtop and a convertible ?

• Like 1

Budget rental carribeans in Thailand were soft tops maybe some still around. Beware the noise was terrible inside.

The roof area above the driving compartment is bolted on. The rear compartment was a carryboy product bolted on also.

There was/is a kit available in the US to change the engine to the VW Passat 2 litre. I thought about doing the conversion to my carribean. The kit required no machining only changing bell housing, flywheel and engine mounts. Retailed for 1000 dollars around 1995. For course you needed to supply the engine.

['quote]1. Cut the back side+roof of Suzuki Caribian, weld a roll bar and put the necessary plastics and removable soft top which covers the front and back + paint.[/quote]

Cutting of the roof involves a bit more than welding a roll bar to achieve an acceptable body strength. Ever had a look at the differences in chassis reinforcement between a hardtop and a convertible ?

The Suzuki in question is not monocoque body, chopping the roof off is not an issue.

There's a guy in Phet Kasem Soi 69 (BKK), at the first intersection on the right after the traffic lights (after the bridge) that converted a lot of the old Nissan Juke into something similar. It's a walled garage.

There's a guy in Phet Kasem Soi 69 (BKK), at the first intersection on the right after the traffic lights (after the bridge) that converted a lot of the old Nissan Juke into something similar. It's a walled garage.

Old Nissan Juke? no way would I call this model old..

??  are you sure ? the name 'Juke' was introduced into Nissan line up in 2010, yes they were here but with a very high full import price tag. it has only been a year since they were made more local and a much reduced price tag...

Still some car tents have the early ones 2011 models For Sale, with sticker price of 1.2 + million....... you can go to Nissan and buy a brand new one for around 800k !!