Thai Cuisine for Cardiovascular Health

Water Buffalo

Making good food choices is a good thing for the OP to do, but it is probably more important to lose weight and begin an aerobic exercise program such as walking.  Also, learn how to use google and search for reputable information on health issues from reliable places such as the Mayo Clinic and the US NIH, not a bunch of people on the internet who think they know more than they do.

• Like 1

I have coronary heart desease and already got triple by-pass. So I got used to how to eat, what to avoid etc.. Some very good posts in this topic. I would like to add, never eat the egg yolk, this is a real cholesterol bomb, squid is bad and so is shrimp( although there are contradictory articles). I don't smoke ( anymore) this is a real killer and whatever "goodies" you eat, smoking will kill you. I also stopped all alcoholic drinks, just check the Russian statistics and you understand why alcohol is bad. Some people seem to be immune and survive any onslaught on their health. I have no choice, the only thing that really had an impact on my life was the alcohol ban, very difficult, less fun, less social but gives me a clear mind and good health. All this slows the desease down and I have a very active life. A high price to pay but so be it, I don't want to regret anything when the end is near.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Making good food choices is a good thing for the OP to do, but it is probably more important to lose weight and begin an aerobic exercise program such as walking.  Also, learn how to use google and search for reputable information on health issues from reliable places such as the Mayo Clinic and the US NIH, not a bunch of people on the internet who think they know more than they do.

+1 And avoid the supplement/alternative health brigade until such time as you are able to understand all the details and form your own objective opinions, there's some useful stuff out there that's not mainstream, but there's a lot more that's quite harmful and/or driven by marketing rather than health perspectives.

My 2 cents worth.

Herbal life shakes with the following regimes .

Morning:
Coffee, no milk
3-5 pieces of small lean ham or chicken

Afternoon:
1 proper meal of your choice

Few hours later herbal life shake with banana based on water.

Evening:
Small green salad.

Herbal life shake an hour or so later.

No cokes or Pepsi's or juices. Water and only water .

When I started I was close to 110kg, high cholesterol, sugars and blood pressure .

3 weeks later, down to 96kg. Then weight drop slowed down.

Sitting comfortably on 86 kg, no exercise at all, cholesterol , sugars and blood pressure all normal.

Many people on Thai visa and other forums whine about herbal life being whatever, and gaining weight after stopping the shakes , but what they do not say is after they stop they start to eat like pigs.

Once you have reached desired weight or in good health, you can always stop the shakes but make sure to eat very healthy.

No heavy meals after 6pm. Green salad or fruits with any protein shake will keep you in shape .

My diet is not hard to follow and does not leave you super hungry. Evening is the craving times , this is why I eat the salad and a shake.

PS. No alcohol daily. Can have 1 day per week when you "spoil" yourself, drink and eat more, but you will find after a while appetite will decrease and the fact that your afternoon meal is anything of your choice does not create any crazy cravings. Edited by konying

The idea of drinking your meal, as in shake, is that you get some calories, some nutrition and some vitamins, without exceeding portion guidelines, all off which leaves you feeling full.

But if you're going to go down that road, be sure to look at the ingredients list in detail, most contain either large amounts of sugar or salt so as to make them appealing, maybe good for weight loss but not so good for cardiovascular or diabetics. There are of course always trade offs with these things, loosing weight in the short term is probably more advantageous than a super clean diet, but only as long as it's just short term.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-herbalife-formula-1-nutritional-shake-i100950

I'm not fat but do have high cholesterol. Doc said to avoid prawns at all costs.

To the OP go and get your blood tested to get a baseline of where your cholesterol, LDL, HDL Triglycerides etc etc are currently at.

It may save your life.

A friend of mine had a heart attack at 19 and fortunately survived. he was a little overweight but had a very poor diet/lifestyle back then.

Another friend, fit as a fiddle - rode a bike 20+ k's a day, played sport every weekend dropped dead at 40. As did his brother, and father before him. They were all from Tonga which has a bad reputation for high cholesterol via diet and hereditary reasons.

Reiterating my earlier comment  - go and get yourself checked out now. There most likely won't be anything to be concerned about but better safe than sorry.

Then start looking at the appropriate food choices. 

Really? I always thought that prawns are almost fat-free and only protein.....But I must admit I never verified if it is true.

Super bad for cholesterol, there's nothing worse, coconut is next on that list..

Thank you! Never knew this....

No fat and still a lot cholesterol.....very interesting

most people don't know that in most cases high cholesterol is produced by one's own body. three sisters of my wife, all three strict vegetarians (at the brink of being vegans) suffer since years from extremely high cholesterol which can only be checked with statins (Lipitor et al). 

Really? I always thought that prawns are almost fat-free and only protein.....But I must admit I never verified if it is true.

Super bad for cholesterol, there's nothing worse, coconut is next on that list..

Thank you! Never knew this....

No fat and still a lot cholesterol.....very interesting

most people don't know that in most cases high cholesterol is produced by one's own body. three sisters of my wife, all three strict vegetarians (at the brink of being vegans) suffer since years from extremely high cholesterol which can only be checked with statins (Lipitor et al). 

I read once that only 10 % of the cholesterol is from the food, the rest produced by the body. But I don't know much about this topic and all my family has no problems with it, so I didn't want to start a cholesterol discussion.

Thanks for all the input guys.  Some good info on this thread!  I plan to get  my cholesterol level and blood sugar levels checked out soon, just to see.  Thanks to those who advised.

I am surprised to hear about palm oil being bad.  I did read a contradictory articles here http://drbenkim.com/articles-oils.html and here http://drbenkim.com/articles-fat.html

Out of interest what do you guys make of soy bean oil?  The good lady seems to think its ok.  But if not, which reasonably priced oil in Thailand would you suggest cooking with?

Edited by Water Buffalo

Was using soya bean oil instead of palm oil but since researching ideal diet for my cancer have read Soy Bean oil also bad.

In fact, all Hydrogenated oils are bad.

Since I now don't use oil, haven't researched which ones are OK - but intend to do so. Important vs. urgent, in my case.

Thanks for all the input guys.  Some good info on this thread!  I plan to get  my cholesterol level and blood sugar levels checked out soon, just to see.  Thanks to those who advised.

I am surprised to hear about palm oil being bad.  I did read a contradictory articles here http://drbenkim.com/articles-oils.html and here http://drbenkim.com/articles-fat.html

Out of interest what do you guys make of soy bean oil?  The good lady seems to think its ok.  But if not, which reasonably priced oil in Thailand would you suggest cooking with?

Light olive oil cooking spray

If you dig long and deep enough and/or if you read enough reviews, you can always find somebody who thinks that every item in your diet is bad for you! So it is with Palm Oil, it's not the best but it's a long way from being the worst so the answer is relative to what you're using now. The key piece of advice on this point is I think, make sure that whatever you use is liquid at room temperature and you can't go too far wrong.

Personally we use olive oil, we buy a one gallon bottle which brings the per litre price way down and it lasts a really long time, from everything I've ever read, olive oil is about as good as you can get.

Edited by chiang mai

The latest medical study on following a no added oil, 100% plant based diet and it's results regarding heart disease was released just last month in "The Journal of Family Practice" from the Cleveland Clinic. 

Here's a short CNN broadcast of the results here:

http://ht.cdn.turner.com/cnn/big/health/2014/07/14/sgmd-gupta-reversing-heart-disease.cnn_154329_1280x720_3500k.mp4

The link for the actual study is here:

http://www.jfponline.com/fileadmin/qhi/jfp/pdfs/6307/JFP_06307_Article1.pdf

Was using soya bean oil instead of palm oil but since researching ideal diet for my cancer have read Soy Bean oil also bad.

In fact, all Hydrogenated oils are bad.

Since I now don't use oil, haven't researched which ones are OK - but intend to do so. Important vs. urgent, in my case.

I thought all these 100 % oils in bottles aren't hydrogenated.

(But never looked into it, as we use only pork fat (which we make ourself) and olive oil)