Cataract surgury-my experience

mhortig

Thanks a lot for the info! I had been to Rutnin Hospital in BKK and received a quote for cataract surgery with just a clear lens (non-corrective, in my understanding; the other kind would be more expensive) at "around 65,000 baht" (the usual - with no complications etc.) for one eye! I haven't consulted any other places yet, but in view of the fact that one eye is getting uncomfortably worse, having an operation in the near future is called for... Could you post (or PM) some contact information for Dr. Paradee at Sriphat Medical center eye clinic please? Thanks ;)

Hi

Yeah, Rutnin was one of the most costly of all the clinics I quieried.

Dr. Pardee has office hours only on Sunday and Wednesday. Sunday from 9 am to 12, and Wednesday from 9:30 -12 and 5-7pm.

They do not make appointments for the first visit. Just go to the Maharaj Hostpital on Suhthep Rd., Sriphat building, 12th floor eye clinic. I suggest Sunday is less busy. Go early to get assigned a que number. After you exit the lift on floor 12 the eye clinic is at the end of the hall. If no staff is there yet go to the opposite end of the hall to the desk there. They can give you your que, be sure to specify the Doctor's name. If you do not yet have an ID for the hospital they will make it for you there. On Wednesday you may have to wait 10-15 minutes for the lift. Sundays early no problem.

Here is the telephone info as well. her assistant's tel: 0-5394-6948 Thai language only, and only during her office hours.

Best to just go. I went on a Sunday at 7:30 am, got que #1 and she did the first procedure on Tuesday. Good luck. Remember not all patients respond in the same way to the procedure.

Thanks a lot for the info! I had been to Rutnin Hospital in BKK and received a quote for cataract surgery with just a clear lens (non-corrective, in my understanding; the other kind would be more expensive) at "around 65,000 baht" (the usual - with no complications etc.) for one eye! I haven't consulted any other places yet, but in view of the fact that one eye is getting uncomfortably worse, having an operation in the near future is called for... Could you post (or PM) some contact information for Dr. Paradee at Sriphat Medical center eye clinic please? Thanks wink.png

Rutnin is regarded as the best place to have eye treatment in Thailand, if not in Southeast Asia. The Thai royal family uses it. You pay more there because you get a higher standard of expertise. For such an important organ as the eye, it's worth it, even if it stretches your budget.

• Like 2

Thank you, @mhortig for this useful posting. Sooner or later, most of us are gonna need cataract surgery and it's beneficial to get "user's" experiences. It's actually the individual ophthalmologist's expertise that is more important than the hospital. He/she is the one who does the surgery. So thank you for the recommendation of Dr. Pardee in Chiangmai. In BKK does anyone know another good ophthalmologist with experience in cataract surgery?

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the info! I had been to Rutnin Hospital in BKK and received a quote for cataract surgery with just a clear lens (non-corrective, in my understanding; the other kind would be more expensive) at "around 65,000 baht" (the usual - with no complications etc.) for one eye! I haven't consulted any other places yet, but in view of the fact that one eye is getting uncomfortably worse, having an operation in the near future is called for... Could you post (or PM) some contact information for Dr. Paradee at Sriphat Medical center eye clinic please? Thanks wink.png

Rutnin is regarded as the best place to have eye treatment in Thailand, if not in Southeast Asia. The Thai royal family uses it. You pay more there because you get a higher standard of expertise. For such an important organ as the eye, it's worth it, even if it stretches your budget.

Sadly Rutnin failed to reply to a professional inquiry. Not even a 10 second acknowledgement to my inquiry.

• Like 1

Most costly does not necessarily mean the best

• Like 2

wow...great post.....this site is finally good for something. I have to have this procedure as well in the not to distant future....I have searched for information in Thailand for this procedure. It is a great recommendation and I appreciate the doctors name as well

Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You for the very valuable post.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wow...the FIL has just had his cataracts done 6 days ago in a government hospital.

6,000 baht for each eye and 30 baht for the op.

He was out and about this morning on his push bike and can see perfectly without glasses.

Horses for courses I guess.

Have a Nice Day.

What hospital and what doctor????? Please provide info....thanks

Not sure about the technical terms but I am about to get cateract surgery here in Chiang Rai. I will get it done free in the Government hospital as I contribute to the social welfare system.

The same doctor also works in the local private hospital, Sriburin where I am told the price would be 30,000 baht for 1 eye.

The operation is the same but the government hospital insists on a 2 day stay whereas Sriburin does it as an outpatient.

I had multi focal intra ocular lens replacement for cataracts and to improve my vision done by Dr. Somchai at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. Cost around 200K both eyes of which 70% was paid by my Thai health insurance and other 30% picked up by my expat insurance.

I started with approx 20/50 vision both eyes and needed 1 diopter reading glasses. Needless to say I was concerned about any complications because my far sight was already good enough to get by without glasses. The objective was to correct the cataracts and to end up with bionic perfect vision.

After surgery I got 20/20 vision and have never used reading glasses. As for night driving (slight starburst etc) all is exactly what Dr. Somchai said it would be, after six months starburst almost gone. Totally acceptable.

In this case I'm very happy didn't try to get by with cheaper options, it's my sight and I've been completely happy since the two surgeries. BTW, I did one first and other a couple years later. It's been 8 years now and everything still fine. I'd recommend getting surgery done a couple weeks apart like this OP did rather than waiting so long between surgeries. I think I can notice a slight difference because lenses not same due to long gap between both surgeries.

Highly Recommend.

Monofocal at CM RAM started at 60K / eye when I checked late last year. As the OP said 45K at Sripat. Maharaj government hospital (next to Sripat) is approximately 30K, but expect to take up to a month to get an appointment, the department sees 400 people a day and it is massively crowded and I've waited up to 5 hours before to see a doc (take a book), and it takes three to four months to schedule surgery.

There was someone who said you can go to Maharaj Eye Clinic without an appointment. You can, but you better be there when the doors open. Once they hit the 400 limit they stop taking patients, and that can happen as early as 9:00 am (if not earlier - speaking from my own experience. Yours may differ).

Edited by connda

Wow...the FIL has just had his cataracts done 6 days ago in a government hospital.

6,000 baht for each eye and 30 baht for the op.

He was out and about this morning on his push bike and can see perfectly without glasses.

Horses for courses I guess.

Have a Nice Day.

It must be nice to have "The Card". Too bad getting one seems to be more about luck and being at the right place at the right time. Lucky you.

I know this is for thailand, but had my first eye done in India, at specialized hospital that do 100-200 per day, i stayed in there beautiful mini mansion, for one week, they wanted to make sure all was fine and not infections before i flew home to USA...

all in all food, room, personal service, and all medical RX costs....$450.00

then they tell me that with this money they can operate on 4 locals for free....

i felt good about the whole thing.. the dr. i saw trained in the states....my 2nd eye is starting to fuzz up, so i am prepping for possible procedure, i would go back to India....same place....

• Like 1

I know this is for thailand, but had my first eye done in India, at specialized hospital that do 100-200 per day, i stayed in there beautiful mini mansion, for one week, they wanted to make sure all was fine and not infections before i flew home to USA...

all in all food, room, personal service, and all medical RX costs....$450.00

then they tell me that with this money they can operate on 4 locals for free....

i felt good about the whole thing.. the dr. i saw trained in the states....my 2nd eye is starting to fuzz up, so i am prepping for possible procedure, i would go back to India....same place....

Mind telling us the name of the hospital and the doctor from India?

• Like 1

If you have cataracts, DEFINITELY get them fixed..... a new lease on life and my nearsightedness went away and now I can admire women across the street.

I use reading glasses from Lotus for close work, but can read a newspaper with no aids.

I am one of those people who thinks my health comes absolutely first, so I have gone to only Bumrungrad in BKK for over ten years and, for me, that place has all my trust. I got both eyes done there, one at a time, single vision lenses, and no pain and fast healing. I am overjoyed and I really did not care what it cost because if I am blind, money not well spent is just silly.

Very helpful info which I have been searching for.

I have a senior friend (65) lives in Bangkok who has cataract in one eye. I have been providing him info of eye doctors from online search who have offices in Bangkok. He is reluctant to make a decision because his other eye has about 30% vision from having lasic surgery done twice many years ago in USA and the cornea is already thin, that can not have any more surgery. He is concerned that if he chooses a doctor who is not competent, he may lose the eyesight and he would have only the other eye that has only 30% vision.

I will forward him this post.

Thank you.

PS. I do not remember any more whether it's cataract or glaucoma that he has, but nevertheless your info is helpful.

Edited by BrooklynNY

I had cataract surgery in both eyes about three years ago at Rutnin in Bangkok. Ten days apart for each eye. Baht 55,000 each. Simple procedure, about 15-20 minutes on the table. Slight prick for the anaesthetic and absolutely no pain or discomfort. Next day when they removed the bandage, I could not believe the difference. Everything was so sharp and colours so vivid. Well worth the expense. First appointment for assessment only Baht 1,100. My consultant was Dr Hathairat

Pipitvijitkorn. Very professional. She recommended not to have the bifocal lenses due to the "starburst" issue as I drive at night, so I need reading glasses which is not a problem.

I had "supersight surgery" performed by Dr. Somchai at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital in Pattaya in May 2007. Operation was on both eyes (both done at the same time). After a month my eye sight was perfect being able to read the smallest print on medicine bottles with ease and with out glasses. After about 6 months my eyesight had started to deteriorate. Dr Somchai told me it was likely due to scar tissue after the operation and that I may need a laser skim to correct this. I returned to my home country and had this skim performed by a local opthomologist who was very critical of me having the original operation done overseas. He performed the skim ( a scag) on one eye only, to bring it up to the level of the stronger eye. My eyesight has continued to deteriorate since then.

I have seen Dr. Somchai several times afterwards and was advised that there is nothing wrong with my eyes and that the operation was a success. I have given up seeing him and may get advice from others if I can trust them. I have now gone from no glasses immediately after the opp. to my second set of glasses for computer work and another upgrade now necessary, driving glasses and an upgrade necessary, glasses for reading and just for walking around My vision is very blurred. The operation which cost me 210,000 Bhat is in my opinion a complete waste of money and I would advise anyone considering it to be very wary and do lots of research.

• Like 1

I had "supersight surgery" performed by Dr. Somchai at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital in Pattaya in May 2007. Operation was on both eyes (both done at the same time). After a month my eye sight was perfect being able to read the smallest print on medicine bottles with ease and with out glasses. After about 6 months my eyesight had started to deteriorate. Dr Somchai told me it was likely due to scar tissue after the operation and that I may need a laser skim to correct this. I returned to my home country and had this skim performed by a local opthomologist who was very critical of me having the original operation done overseas. He performed the skim ( a scag) on one eye only, to bring it up to the level of the stronger eye. My eyesight has continued to deteriorate since then.

I have seen Dr. Somchai several times afterwards and was advised that there is nothing wrong with my eyes and that the operation was a success. I have given up seeing him and may get advice from others if I can trust them. I have now gone from no glasses immediately after the opp. to my second set of glasses for computer work and another upgrade now necessary, driving glasses and an upgrade necessary, glasses for reading and just for walking around My vision is very blurred. The operation which cost me 210,000 Bhat is in my opinion a complete waste of money and I would advise anyone considering it to be very wary and do lots of research.

They refused to do both of my eyes at the same time. The concern is that should something go wrong with the operation, the worst case scenario is that you lose the sight in one eye but still have the other. That is why I had a 7 day gap between the two operations so they could see that the first was a success before the second. To me the fact that this Dr was prepared to take that risk with your sight is a very big reason to avoid him regardless of how good he thinks he is. The top hospitals will not do it which rather tells its own tale.

Thank you falang 297 for sharing your experience. I started this thread because when I was researching for my surgury, most forum entries (for Thailand) were vague and often seccond hand. Specific Dr., hospital, cost and actual results info is extremely valuable for folks that are looking into this procedure. I am sorry that your results were not as anticipated.

Edited by mhortig

falanf247,

Thank you very much for your post.

I am following this thread closely. Thanks to all the contributors.

There was another thread about BPH supersight sugery here.

I have heard Bilberries,the mineral Lutein and Betacarotein (Vitamin A).Also "Tears Natural"eyedrops for treating dry eyes are very good and can be bought at most pharmacies. A Multi-vitamin tablet every day(Centrum) will ensure you get enough to keep your eyes healthy.Of course,serious eye conditions should be dealt with by a doctor.But sometimes these things can help.