Teaching WP on marriage visa in Pattaya

I currently have a marriage visa and have been employed at a school where 99% of their teachers come to them with tourist visas.

Can someone provide info on what thx procedure is to obtain a WP to teach and is there a thai govt web page I can refer the school office staff to otherwise they insist I have to go to Vientiane or Bangkok which I don't believe I need to do.

The immigration office in jomtien are equally sure I can get a WP now and if necessary just change to a Non B when my marriage visa expires, but thai office staff need to see this on an official web site before they are convinced. Cheers. .

You don't have to change it into a Non-B. The school must issue the needed documents for the Khurusapha ( teacher's Council of Thailand)

Please see attached application form. The school will also have to write a cover letter. You can send all documents to Khurusapha, but I'd go there in person.

You'll need a copy of your degree ( in any field), transcripts, two photographs, all educational related documents,your original contract, copies of all passport pages, a letter from educational area XX, where the school belongs to, and you might be able to receive your provisional TL on the same day.

If not they'll send it to your school within 10 to 14 days. Then you'll have to apply for a work permit at the department of labor. That takes about three days.

Good luck.

Khurusapha Application form.pdf

• Like 1

No different procedure to apply for the work permit and then have it issued if you have a non-o or an .extension of stay based upon marriage. A copy of your marriage certificate should be included with the application.

You cannot change visas nor do you need to. If you are currently on an extension of stay based upon marriage you can stay on it there is no need to change to an extension for teaching.

• Like 1

Sakon Nakhon refused a work permit application because of marriage visa. They said I had to change it to a business visa. Please check with the local office where you will be applying as they all seem to have different requirements. Good luck!

I have been teaching on a "Supporting Thai Wife" visa for about 6 years. Each time I renew my visa, my school obtains a work permit renewal for me. Never had any problems.

Schools wanting you to go to where ever are probably just giving you the run around because they really don't want to get you a work permit.

And Immigration offices telling you that you have to change to a Non-Imm "B" visa are either misinformed or just want a bite out of your wallet.

• Like 1

Sakon Nakhon refused a work permit application because of marriage visa. They said I had to change it to a business visa. Please check with the local office where you will be applying as they all seem to have different requirements. Good luck!

sakon nahkon immi told me the same....even though I have phoned and spoken to 4 legal firms in bkk who all said you can get a work permit on an marriage visa...when I tried to tell them at sakon they don't know the rules of Thailand.....they pointed to the exit door and told me to leave......,charming.....

This is all bs what some Immigration officers tell you. I was in Bangkok at the TCT just a week ago and they are the ones who say that either a Non-B, or a Non-O will be accepted.I was asking three different employees working there to make sure that they didn't misunderstand me.

When you apply for a Non-O next time, just write for the reason(s) for applying: Supporting the whole Thai family and teaching at a "World Class Standard School" will do all tricks.

Then it's signed by all involved and they can't refer on just having a visa because you're married. Beat them with their own beat.

Edited by lostinisaan

No different procedure to apply for the work permit and then have it issued if you have a non-o or an .extension of stay based upon marriage. A copy of your marriage certificate should be included with the application.

You cannot change visas nor do you need to. If you are currently on an extension of stay based upon marriage you can stay on it there is no need to change to an extension for teaching.

I'd reckon to take the original marriage certificate with you, when you go there in person. Would even work when having your Mia Noi with you.

It's Thai culture.

Chonburi OK on "O" or marriage extension, however no concession on the x4 Thai employees

Did you actually read the OP's post? Oh my Buddha.-facepalm.gif

Edit: Sorry, saw your username too late.

Edited by lostinisaan

"Sorry, but that's a well -known law since about five years now."

Yes, you are sorry.

That has been around a heck of a lot longer than 5 years.

Maybe that was when you first became aware of it. Understandable.

Since there have been posts saying some Labor Offices don't allow that, I'm simply suggesting that the question should be asked at the office the person will use. Does that make sense?

• Like 1

i have just received work permit to run my thai company, i did this on an extended o (supporting my thai family), labour have told me i need to go and change to non b, i am unwilling to check with Nakhon Sawan immigration as they are not helpful at all, i have had conflicting answers from various sources, does anyone have a definitive answer?

i have just received work permit to run my thai company, i did this on an extended o (supporting my thai family), labour have told me i need to go and change to non b, i am unwilling to check with Nakhon Sawan immigration as they are not helpful at all, i have had conflicting answers from various sources, does anyone have a definitive answer?

You don't even have to tell immigration you have a work permit unless you use your income from working to do the extension.

You do not need to have a non-b visa to have a work permit. All that is required is a non immigrant visa or an extension of stay.

• 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere on this Forum, (And Did Not Bookmark It) that the requirements have changed a bit, Vocational Schools and some others do not require a Degree now, Also what work permit form is Required for an initial application, and where can I find it!