Studded Walls

keithkarmann

Please see attached photo of house been built in my Moo Ban, can anyone tell me what type of construction this is and weather or not it is easily available. It is built with steel instead of concrete pillars. Are the panels tailor made for each design with window and door openings. Not sure if the roof is tiles or corrugated panels to keep weight down.It appears to have panels both sides and is it possible to install insulation to keep out noise. Is it suitable for use anywhere where there is no chance of flooding? Would it be cheaper than double brick and insulation? Thanks in advance.

The insulated studded wall method is a very common construction method in many countries , at lest the USA  The outside walls and sometimes an inside wall are load bearing  walls.  The interior walls are usually "Sheetrock" (American) or paneling.

The outside walls are finished with various types of veneer -brick, wood, stucco, etc. as it's for show only. I would finish the outside with Sherawood overlapping siding  after applying a good "vapor barrier" to the structure first.  I would finish the interior wall with Sheetrock but run the electric and water in the walls and install at least R4 insulation before closing them out.  I would use double insulated windows and doors.  The ceiling can also be finished with Sheetrock and I would install insulation with at least a R6 rating.  I would also use a light color reflective roof and install rotating vents in the roof.

IMHO these type of houses are cooler than block house as they don't retain the heat.

My house is block but the house that I built for my FIL (was supposed to be my workshop) use block up to the windows and the frame construction, finished on the outside wit Sherawood and the inside with sheet rock and proper insulation in the walls and ceiling.  If I walk into his house in the middle of a hot afternoon it's definitely cooler than my house. No air con in either.

Steel is cheaper than wood but the cost would depend on what materials you choose to finish it.

If I had to do it a;ll over again I would really consider this construction method over the concrete plole and block construction that I used, 

• Like 1

Steel has the highest strength to weight ratio of any building material.  The house in the picture was built using the structural steel that is available at the local building supply store -  using this type of steel is an overkill as steel beams and studs are available that are made especially for this type of construction.  The key to support is proper footings in the right places in the concrete slab as the walls are nailed (22 cartridge nail gun) to the slab.  The walls can be prefabricated in a warehouse/shop to plan and carried to the site complete.  There are no poles in this type of construction and the roof only goes on after all of the load bearing walls are in place.  The houses that I lived in in the US were all built this way with the outside veneer decorative brick

Here's a video that might intersect you: http://www.scottsdalesteelframes.com/steel-buildings/residential/.   Then again, it might not.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Steel has the highest strength to weight ratio of any building material.  The house in the picture was built using the structural steel that is available at the local building supply store -  using this type of steel is an overkill as steel beams and studs are available that are made especially for this type of construction.  The key to support is proper footings in the right places in the concrete slab as the walls are nailed (22 cartridge nail gun) to the slab.  The walls can be prefabricated in a warehouse/shop to plan and carried to the site complete.  There are no poles in this type of construction and the roof only goes on after all of the load bearing walls are in place.  The houses that I lived in in the US were all built this way with the outside veneer decorative brick

Here's a video that might intersect you: http://www.scottsdalesteelframes.com/steel-buildings/residential/.   Then again, it might not.

The walls in this building are not load bearing as the steel posts went up first then the roof went on. Yes the roof does look to be a light weight material.

If the poles have been set  and the walls are not load bearing then using the steel that they used is really a costly overkill.  They sell the prefabricated steel studs and joists here and they are normally used to make the interior walls on most houses/condos.  Insulation, electrical?water pipe as stated above

If using the prefabricated studs to construct load bearing walls the studs should be placed on 16" centers and the ceiling/floor joists and rafters on 24" centers.  Good stuff and easy to work with as long as yo have the proper tolls.

Forsee steel studs of the walls rusting within a decade as moisture will penetrate the outer layer under monsoon rain conditions. Same reason why walls to the bathroom are lightweight blocks, and not such lightweight partitions.

All the interior walls in my town house in Bangkok are steel studded walls including the bathrooms.  I know since I replaced them all myself after the 2011 flood, 173cm of water inside.  There was no evidence of corrosion on the old ones, only that from the time that the place flooded and the time that I replaced the walls, about 4 months.  I reused a lot of the removed and found it easy to work with.  The bathrooms are wet-rooms so they are sunken and the house sits on a slab about 20 cm higher than the outside so moisture intrusion is not a problem unless you have a dog that pees on the same interior wall everyday and you don;t clean it up properly.  Using steel studs is an approved construction method replacing the now costly wood frame construction and is sturdier.    You should actually place a moisture barrier between the slab and the steel but I have not seen it done that way here.  I cut pieces of rubber mat to size, but there were only a few shor interior walls, about 15 meters.  Just look at the video that I posted earlier.

• Like 1

All the interior walls in my town house in Bangkok are steel studded walls including the bathrooms.  I know since I replaced them all myself after the 2011 flood, 173cm of water inside.  There was no evidence of corrosion on the old ones, only that from the time that the place flooded and the time that I replaced the walls, about 4 months.  I reused a lot of the removed and found it easy to work with.  The bathrooms are wet-rooms so they are sunken and the house sits on a slab about 20 cm higher than the outside so moisture intrusion is not a problem unless you have a dog that pees on the same interior wall everyday and you don;t clean it up properly.  Using steel studs is an approved construction method replacing the now costly wood frame construction and is sturdier.    You should actually place a moisture barrier between the slab and the steel but I have not seen it done that way here.  I cut pieces of rubber mat to size, but there were only a few shor interior walls, about 15 meters.  Just look at the video that I posted earlier.

Agreed....but that type of framing is through the roof on pricing around this area....It's cheaper to use ordinary Black steel and weld together (my Opinion).

I have done that here on top floor, for obvious reasons, and I have to tell you it's BLOODY HOTTER than any other section we done....Here in Thailand, DEFINITELY use insulation between the outside and inside walls, where ever you can put it......

Steel frame Lawn Lockers are simple to build like this also....and CHEAP !

Looks like compressed fibro cement sheets on the outside and probably gyprock inside.

Steel stud walls. Easy to build and easy to source in Thailand. Different gauge steel studs are available.

Would take years and years to get any rust if it was built properly, timber would rot out first. Our whole house is framed out of it in Australia.

• Like 1