Sony A7S

Some features over the A7/A7r

12 Megapixels in a FF sensor - means likely very high ISO shooting (low light). A reviewers comment, "mind boggling low light performance" smile.png Also refer to it as a 'medium format look' due to the larger pixels.

Electronic shutter - means completely silent shooting

4k video capability

Obviously not for everyone and seems to be a niche camera. Top ISO performance and 4K video. Bit pricy at $2498 USD body only.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/sony-a7s-1255921/review

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/07/sony-a7s-review-the-new-king-of-full-frame-video/

Just waiting for the price to come off the launch pad and there's a space ready in my bag.

A7r for daytime. A7s for night.

Right now I can find for £1400, grey import. £2099 is too much for UK official.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep asking myself wherever would one need such high ISO. Granted it inevitably (read hopefully) means a very clean 3200/6400 file which is great but above that, well, black cats in coal holes comes to mind, and I don't do that.

Not for me. Awaiting Fuji to announce the X- Pro2. (One day)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

^^ I know. Waiting for prices to fall a bit. Since I've got all the other A7r associated kit like grip, batteries, chargers, FE 55/1.8, Novoflex and Rayqual lens adapters and wotnot, it's not a huge reach to add the A7s.

• Like 1

^^ I know. Waiting for prices to fall a bit.

Yep . . . if only it could justify it's silly price tag for being, as it is, just a low light one trick pony. As a body, it's purely it's better than most all competitors astrophotography capabilities that interests me . . . and nothing more.

• 2 weeks later...