Taskforce hits major drug gang led by murder inmate

Lite Beer

as someone who has managed to reach the age of 60 without having to rely upon what you refer to as "recreational drugs", I can tell you I'd rather stick with my opinion.

Have you ever had a cup of coffee? a glass of wine? A bottle of beer? How about chocolate, which contains a number of drugs: What drugs are in chocolate?

Well why don't you tell us.  What illegal recreational drugs are there in coffee, wine, beer and chocolate?

He never said "illegal recreational drugs"

You have your opinion, I have mine, but as someone who has managed to reach the age of 60 without having to rely upon what you refer to as "recreational drugs", I can tell you I'd rather stick with my opinion.

Those "soft drugs" that you are alluding to are what lead on to harder drugs and severe associated problems. I would rather they went the other way and made your "recreational drugs" illegal too...!!

That beer stuff is what leads on to harder drinks like meths and severe associated problems. So they should make that illegal too.

In the photo the officer on the left looks like a farange. Could America's DEA be operating in Thailand in this bust. I was of the opinion that the various world government drug agencies were only allowed to investigate trans-shipment drug deals destined for outside Thailand.

The U.S. is deeply embedded in drug law enforcement efforts in Thailand. See Leaked cable shows USA influencing Thai law & justice system for 60 years

Here's a quote:

The March 20, 2009 leaked embassy cable covers more than 60-years of US involvement in Thailand, noting the country’s Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) – established in 1976 by the Narcotics Control Act, B.E. 2519 – in addition to the Thai Border Patrol Police and Royal Thai Police Special Branch, were established with U.S. funding.

Hope all the "the police never follow anything and bust Mr big" posters are reading this, might save a few dumb posts on the next drug bust........

I think there are bigger "Mr. Bigs" than this guy who has been spending time in prison. Wouldn't you think that if he really was "big", he would have got bail?

In the photo the officer on the left looks like a farange. Could America's DEA be operating in Thailand in this bust. I was of the opinion that the various world government drug agencies were only allowed to investigate trans-shipment drug deals destined for outside Thailand.

The U.S. is deeply embedded in drug law enforcement efforts in Thailand. See Leaked cable shows USA influencing Thai law & justice system for 60 years

Here's a quote:

The March 20, 2009 leaked embassy cable covers more than 60-years of US involvement in Thailand, noting the country’s Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) – established in 1976 by the Narcotics Control Act, B.E. 2519 – in addition to the Thai Border Patrol Police and Royal Thai Police Special Branch, were established with U.S. funding.

the US is also heavily involved in flooding the Thailand economy with shops in malls to sell tee shirts and other goods that are no longer of interest to the US consumer

Here's a quote:

Wow thanks. Any idea if the R.C.M.P. or CISIS from Canada are also all over this as well. Heard rumors but no facts like your link above.

I did notice this as well. I've heard that DEA's presense in Bangkok is the largest on foreign soil.

Another lefty who wants to legalize drugs.

And yes in all my yeara here, I've not heard of a drug dealer with that much money being busted. So yes, good job general!

It has nothing to do with ones political leanings.  It has everything to do with an intellectually honest person observing reality and making logical conclusions.  Fact: alcohol when abused or addicted to is very damaging to individuals and communities.  Fact: prohibition doesn't work as the misbegotten 18 ammendment to US consitution and decades long trillion dollar war on drugs has demonstrated.  Fact: large illegal markets always attract suppliers with their artificially high profit margins.   So, as hyperdimension pointed out it makes no sense to spend trillions of dollars and destory millions of lives prohibiting only some drugs.  The "degree of damage" argument doesn't hold water.  Pot is much less dangerous than alcohol or pharmacuticals.  Just read the side effects disclosure next time you are purchasing legal drugs.  There's no rational rhyme or reason for the current separation of legal and illegal drugs.  By the way, food is also a drug, and there are many people who have addictive relationship to food.  Should the food be banned? 

The society is ending up paying 3 times,  first individually to purchase drugs, and then collectively to fund the failed prohibition enforcement and to house the victims of that enforcement.   A better approach would be to make all drugs legal, regulate and tax them so the new revenue can be spent on improving society, educating young people about the consecuences of drug abuse, and provide treatments to people who can't handle them.

The whole premise of prohibition is intrusive and arrogant to the core.  The govenment should not dictate to individuals what they can and cannot ingest and how much.  The concept that the government can presuppose and legislate that if I ingest X, it will make me commit Y is preposterous and goes against the fundamental principle of "presumption of innocense".  If I want to have a couple of glasses of wine, or joints, or whatever, or if i finish a bottle of vodka or a bottle of pills  by myself, as long as i don't disturb anybody else or infringe on anybody elses rights I should be able to do as I please.  The consequences of my actions are mine alone to deal with since they only affect me.  Now if i start disturbing others, infringing on others' safety or property that's the behavior that has to be checked and for which we have devised a criminal code.

I am yet to hear a resonable and factually accurate argument for the "war on drugs".  Care to provide one?

The war on drugs can never be won. But legalizing all drugs will not help a bit either. For some it will be like reaching heaven. For others it will be like greasing the rails on the down hill slide into hell. As I said earlier and no one seems to be able to answer it. What would be the limit of drugs you could ingest at one time? Who is going to say?

The answer was not even on this planet. It had that big word IF in it. If this if that if only if if if if and on the dreams go. This is a real world and as I said the profit on illegal drugs is huge. They will just cut their prices to the point where a for profit company plus tax can not compete.

Also I don't believe for a minute that no one will mind being seen going in and out of the legal drug dispensers. There will always be people who feel guilty about the amount they use and don't want their boss or neighbors to know about it.There will be the one's who feel the police might follow them or start to keep them under observation.

So far in my opinion some posters just want to make it easier to get their drugs and have no sound plan for dealing with the problem

We know the war on drugs is a loosing one. We know no manufacture is going to produce them if they can't make money. So how about starting an educational program in the schools. How about testimonials from hard core drug users on how they got started with the softer drugs. How about a program that shows the extent of damage they can do to a person's body. Also throw in the they will make you feel good. Give them both sides of the story show them. It is not going to be an overnight fix but it will have long range results. For the legal end take a look at Portugal. It has been a while since this came up but a few years ago the same topic was on Thai Visa and Portugal had the most successful program in dealing with drugs. I have no reason to believe other countries have changed.wai.gif

Most of your points make sense except for the "But legalizing all drugs will not help a bit either." You seem to agree that the status quo is unsustainable and must be replaced with a different approach.  One could make an  argument that only the drugs that have large user populations should be legalized while other more obscure ones kept illegal.  However, in that scenario you will still have to bare high costs of enforcement with very questionable benefits.  Removing government's influence from personal decisions about what to put into one's body is, imho, the best way forward.  The savings on enforcement will more than cover the costs of regulation, and the additional tax revenues will help cash poor local and central governments.  It is time to stop treating people as children trying to prevent them from making mistakes. 

Everything you said about education, outreach, and treatment programs is and will be necessary since we do need to prepare children and help adults who can't deal with it.  The model for this exists and has been an integral part of the society from the dawn of time - Alcohol.  In respect to the drink the governments let individuals decide what and how much to drink.  The fast majority deal with it responsibly, a minority does not, and pays legal consequences, an even smaller fraction get addicted and need help.  So wouldn't it make sense to create public policy for the majority and make provisions for the minority rather than doing it the other way?

• Like 1

I did notice this as well. I've heard that DEA's presense in Bangkok is the largest on foreign soil.

is Bangkok used as a transit center for US drug smuggling?

I imagine the US air force brings the heroin and poppy in directly from their new improved and US Marine protected growing fields in Afghanistan,

but what is the US briging in from Thailand?

does anyone know what Thailand exports to the US?

is Bangkok used as a transit center for US drug smuggling?

I imagine the US air force brings the heroin and poppy in directly from their new improved and US Marine protected growing fields in Afghanistan,

but what is the US briging in from Thailand?

does anyone know what Thailand exports to the US?

Refined opium from Afghanistan turned into pure white heroin in Miramar smuggled into Thailand and shipped out??????? 800,000 million dollars worth recently seized  in Vancouver and Edmonton I read.