HIV tests for new workers infringe on their rights

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
HIV tests for new workers infringe on their rights
The Nation 

BANGKOK: -- Forcing prospective employees to undergo blood tests risks worsening social stigma and economic hardship for those with the disease

One would think that after decades of being on the front line in the fight against HIV/Aids, Thai society would be more sensitive to the issue.

But this hasn't been the case, as the recent complaints filed with the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) suggest.

The NHRC has come out and condemned businesses that require job applicants to be tested for HIV on the ground that it is a "clear violation of human rights".

The NHRC said requiring people to take a blood test could adversely affect people economically and socially and also impact on their families.

The commission said a growing number of potential employees had been filing complaints about this requirement.

This is not to say that society and the authorities should just disregard the issue of HIV/Aids entirely. There are more sensible ways to go about it, like education and raising awareness about how the virus is transmitted.

Thai society, in spite of decades of dealing with the issue and receiving praise from the world community for curbing the dramatic growth of the epidemic in the 1990s, continues to discriminate against people who are HIV-positive.

As long as someone performs their work properly, HIV positive or not, they should be permitted to do so.

A blood test could also become an unnecessary financial burden on job applicants. But let's be realistic, we are not talking about the financial cost of just one test. We are talking about a lifelong stigma and discrimination against an individual who is HIV-positive but poses minimal or no danger to co-workers.

Sadly, despite the overwhelming research on HIV/Aids over the past few decades, misunderstanding and inaccurate myths continue to persist. These myths, driven by an unfound fear of HIV transmission and HIV-positive individuals, are at the heart of workplace discrimination, or in this case, potential workplace.

It has been proven that only certain body fluids can transmit HIV: blood, semen and pre-seminal fluid, vaginal secretions, and breast milk.

Most people who are HIV-positive live normal and healthy lives. But because of the stigma and discrimination that could threaten their economic livelihood, many chose to keep quiet about the disease.

In Thailand, the group of people most vulnerable to HIV are of working age. It was on the back of such people that Thailand became a newly industrialised country and their cheap labour helped advance the country's global economic standing. That's why it is of utmost importance to be sensitive to the issue and have a sensible policy for HIV/Aids in the workplace. We cannot afford to fail them.

Our authorities and society must work to ensure that people with HIV are not denied the opportunity to participate in all aspects of society, be it employment, education and any form of social function. Stereotypes, prejudice and misinformation about HIV and Aids must make way for understanding and compassion.

The public and private sectors must not discriminate against colleagues or applicants living with HIV or Aids and they must treat the disease the same other illness are treated in terms of employee policies and benefits, including health and life insurance, disability benefits and leave of absence.

Colleagues who harass or discriminate against co-workers affected by HIV/Aids must face disciplinary action in line with the workplace's policy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/HIV-tests-for-new-workers-infringe-on-their-rights-30240101.html

[thenation]2014-08-03[/thenation]

Health check required for certain jobs.

I see no problem with this if it incorporates a blood test for all virus/problems/ that could affect the employer and safeguard others from anything that is proved a liability.

Why for goodness sake do they have to say it is for HIV  or +or+  just a medical check.   By naming a touchy subject they bring into play all these bodies regarding rights etc.

It is that easy to avoid confrontation. Free medical checks are offered to potential employees is a better way to go about it.

Now just wondering if the Medical Certificate for workpermit will soon include one more test.

At one point many moons ago an HIV test was required, I had to do one for my orginal WP, when I changed companies about 2 years later,  its wasnt required.

I have worked in a few places in the world where an HIV test is legally required for a foreign worker

A blood test will tell many things. It will tell the doctor whether you are a drug user, have a contagious disease, not only if you have HIV. Twenty two years ago when I took my medical examination for Permanent Resident Status, They also tested for Elephantiasis,  Malaria and Dengue. 

It all depends on where you will be working and what job you have. It has nothing to do with your sexual preference. coffee1.gif

IMO if I was working in a high risk job where accidents happen a lot and these injuries cause blood to flow ...

I would damn well want to know if that person had any diseases ... but that is just me

So if you were seriously hurt and unconscious in a motor vehicle accident and had an open wound with a lot of blood flowing.

You would expect the Paramedics who work in a high risk job and  who attended the accident not to deal with you, because they don't know what diseases you may have. As you stated above.

You boofhead, there are people with HIV and a lot of different diseases, who work as nurses and nurses aids in hospitals all over the world, including Thailand.

They care for patients and nurse them back to health, knowing that they have a virus that has been controlled. They are also employed by the medical profession.

Get a life and learn about life.

One of the best examples was the time in the UK when the late Princess Diana visited a patient in hospital suffering from aids, and she kissed him.

I hope not but LuckyLew, you may carry something untoward and not know, Get a full Medical check and then have the result tattooed on the forehead.

Whenever a school teacher ( farang anyway) changes school jobs and has to go through the usual procedures for WP and Visa everytime , one has to get a medical including a HIV / Syphillis test, dont mind really 100 bht result within an hour and a reassurance that i havent picked anything up, YET.  But what if i was positive, would that mean no job for me?  I dont know, is the current answer to that, at the moment.

Whenever a school teacher ( farang anyway) changes school jobs and has to go through the usual procedures for WP and Visa everytime , one has to get a medical including a HIV / Syphillis test, dont mind really 100 bht result within an hour and a reassurance that i havent picked anything up, YET.  But what if i was positive, would that mean no job for me?  I dont know, is the current answer to that, at the moment.

I was with the understanding that a check up for HIV gives you the results, BUT does not include the last months( activities )  anyone who wants to be sure is to abstain for a month totally and then have the test.  if clear then it is sure.

Unless things have changed.   but suppose you had unprotected sex the night before the test--it would not show.

IMO if I was working in a high risk job where accidents happen a lot and these injuries cause blood to flow ...

I would damn well want to know if that person had any diseases ... but that is just me

So if you were seriously hurt and unconscious in a motor vehicle accident and had an open wound with a lot of blood flowing.

You would expect the Paramedics who work in a high risk job and  who attended the accident not to deal with you, because they don't know what diseases you may have. As you stated above.

You boofhead, there are people with HIV and a lot of different diseases, who work as nurses and nurses aids in hospitals all over the world, including Thailand.

They care for patients and nurse them back to health, knowing that they have a virus that has been controlled. They are also employed by the medical profession.

OZEMADE what a load of gibberish!

A medical proffessional avoiding their proffession because of risk is basically what you just said.

They chose their proffession with the knowledge of the risk, do I get that same chance to choose the risk when an infected medical personel comes to deal with me? From your statement, NO I don't, and that is nothing but gibberish.

To answer your question, no I wouldn't expect them not to deal with me if they have HIV, because what I would expect are medical personel that deal with such situations at the very least to be free from such seriouse and deadly diseases, otherwise NO I don't want them dealing with me. If that needs to be tattooed on my forehead then pass me the tattoo gun. Because if you think I want to put myself at risk to save from hurting someones feelings you're out of your mind, hey OZEMADE can you tell us how many hours you volunteer at the local Aids clinic?

I don't have HIV and I sure don't need to put myself or my families life at risk of getting it because of hurting someones feeling, screw their feelings I am worried about my feelings when HIV turns into full blown Aids. Maybe those with HIV should ask themselves do I want to put others at risk.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Now just wondering if the Medical Certificate for workpermit will soon include one more test.

At one point many moons ago an HIV test was required, I had to do one for my orginal WP, when I changed companies about 2 years later,  its wasnt required.

I have worked in a few places in the world where an HIV test is legally required for a foreign worker

Must have been more than 20 years ago then. I never was required an HIV test for a WP in Thailand. Actually, I don't recall a blood test ever been required for a WP unless your over 60 years old. But if your working as a prostitute then yes, you should be required to be tested I think.

Edited by RBOP

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Must have been more than 20 years ago then. I never was required an HIV test for a WP in Thailand. Actually, I don't recall a blood test ever been required for a WP unless your over 60 years old. But if your working as a prostitute then yes, you should be required to be tested I think.

it was about 14 years ago and was most certainly for the WP, it was HIV and a few other things, and not over 60, not even close, this was under the Chonburi DOL

and yes I am a whore....... in the O&G industry..thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I saw one time in an article long ago when the Pattaya police closed down the devils den, stating that the owner did not have accurate and up to date health records for its staff amongst other err infractions. So I always presumed that regular testing was on the books at least for certain segments of the workforce even if not enforced ( thought it amusing at the time is why I remembered, they have a law against prostitution, and another law to ensure that nonexistent workforce is tested monthly).If so this is a very old rule possibly never enforced, or is the article referring to only a certain segment of the population.
although I could be very wrong here as the source article was the Pattaya Daily news, not a publication that will be winning any Pulitzer prizes anytime soon smile.png

Would you send your child/children into a classroom with a teacher knowingly suffering from HIV? There are jobs which need screening against potential infection, are there not?

Would you go under an operating table, knowing beforehand that the surgeon about to make incisions is HIV+ ?

I very much doubt you would, even if they were 'experts' at the jobs. Care to answer that?

One of the best examples was the time in the UK when the late Princess Diana visited a patient in hospital suffering from aids, and she kissed him.

I hope not but LuckyLew, you may carry something untoward and not know, Get a full Medical check and then have the result tattooed on the forehead.

To kiss someone on the forehead does not pass fluids

EMS workers wear protective gloves / outfits

Why do you think boxers are not allowed to box if they have HIV / aids?

I was told it was only syphilis they were testing for when i went through this blood test 2 years ago. Nothing mentioned about HIV.

Would you send your child/children into a classroom with a teacher knowingly suffering from HIV? There are jobs which need screening against potential infection, are there not?

Would you go under an operating table, knowing beforehand that the surgeon about to make incisions is HIV+ ?

I very much doubt you would, even if they were 'experts' at the jobs. Care to answer that?

Cannot think of any way a teacher legitimately going about their job would infect the children they are teaching. A lot of airborne stuff can be transmitted, but, as you no doubt know, HIV is not one of these.

Cannot think of any way a teacher legitimately going about their job would infect the children they are teaching. A lot of airborne stuff can be transmitted, but, as you no doubt know, HIV is not one of these.

He obviously doesn't know but what can you expect from people without education. He is just an hiv basher without any education without any background information or willing to educate himself by reading about the matter.

Civil rights, freedom of information. Employers rights, Govt monitoring on who is allowed to work in their countries. Who chooses?

Good one trying to figure that one out.

Do gooders, right wing, left wing, liberals, anarchists all have different ideas and whatever you choose, you will be labeled.

I was with the understanding that a check up for HIV gives you the results, BUT does not include the last months( activities )  anyone who wants to be sure is to abstain for a month totally and then have the test.  if clear then it is sure.

Unless things have changed.   but suppose you had unprotected sex the night before the test--it would not show.

The latest tests can give an answer in 5 mins but the infection window can be 12 weeks, so it is best to get checked every 3 months if one is in a high risk category.

To kiss someone on the forehead does not pass fluids

EMS workers wear protective gloves / outfits

Why do you think boxers are not allowed to box if they have HIV / aids?

My point being at that time the phobia about HIV was bad, Princess Diana did this to show that it is safe to touch and be near people that have the virus.    Publicity was bad, everyone thought it was only gay related.

Don't you think I am aware of "gloves" and "boxing" etc.     so your point being ???

Just one other thing, how do Accident and emergency teams know ???   all you do is protect yourself then your safe.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

The latest tests can give an answer in 5 mins but the infection window can be 12 weeks, so it is best to get checked every 3 months if one is in a high risk category.

How stupid of me, I didn't check my post---it should have said 3 months and not 1 month ------re cap,  tests will give you results very quick BUT the last 3 months it will NOT SHOW.